Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Mondeo Diesel Flashing Glowplug Light??

MondeoNeil

Hi everyone. I have just bought a 54 plate Mondeo 2litre diesel. Drove it the 200 mile trip home from Northampton with no problems whatsoever. Next morning we drove about a mile then when we accelerated it made a slight judder and the glowplug light started flashing. The turbo then did not cut in so acceleration was slow.

However if I stop, turn the engine off, then restart it the light goes out and all is fine. That is until we get to over 2k revs then it happens again.

Any ideas as to what would be causing it? It is also starting to sound a little rough (a ticking noise like badly adjusted tappets). Thanks in advance.

Hi Neil.

Its goings into 'limp' mode by the sound of things.

Best thing to do is get it to a garage and get them to scan it for any codes that may have been saved.

Or the only other suggestion I got that may sort the problem, (if you have any knowledge of mechanics, not meaning to sound disrespectful) is to get a new set of glow plugs and try replacing them. That would be the cheaper option.

Aarron :)

Sounds like injectors to me.

The tappety sound is the injectors knocking.

Take it back and tell them to fix it, or if they gave a warranty get it to a garage and get a quote and see if they will pay. Injectors is expensive. Not worth buying the cheap recons on eBay, the nozzles ware quick and you will have the same problem again in no time.

Private sale, sold as seen! Also there was no knocking for the 200 mile trip home! Would they just go that quick?

might be worth getting hold of a code reader, less than £20 on eBay to find out what bringing the glowplug light on

Agreed, find out what is wrong before spending money, "service" items are worth doing, and a solid stainless steel EGR blanking plate is worth fitting - as they only cost about a fiver and the EGR often causes trouble on mk3 Mondeos

nothing to do wi egr id say,so concentrate on getting it code-read 1st. guy the other day toasted his engine,just by fitting a blanking plate. folk think it brings temps down but it does exactly the opposite.

If your car id running ok,no need for messing with EGR.once theyre knackered,get another one.let the car run the way it was designed to run

Thanks guys, a mate had a code reader, looks like the Fuel Pump Inlet Metering Valve has caused the fault. WIll replace that and see what happens. And gonna get a blanking plate for the EGR as have read a lot about the EGR causing problems. WIll keep you guys informed if changing the valve solves the problem :-)

Iv got the same problem with my mondeo glow plug light on. It strugles to start in the morning and when it does start it smokes till it warms up its in limp mode turbo doesnt kick in runs ok good on fuel just wont boost had egr valve off cleaned it as it was gunjed up willcarbon. Still the same what vould be the problem

Hi Guy's, I have had the same problems as you. please do yourselves a favour and have a leak-off test done on your injectors. this will not only save you time but also cash. Martin my codes were read and came up with the same answer as yours, changed the pump and still the same problems. I was advised to have a leak off test as these codes can be misleading. ALL THEY ARE TELLING YOU IS THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM. PLEASE HAVE A LEAK OFF TEST AND SAVE SOME TIME AND MONEY. George

Thanks guys, a mate had a code reader, looks like the Fuel Pump Inlet Metering Valve has caused the fault. WIll replace that and see what happens. And gonna get a blanking plate for the EGR as have read a lot about the EGR causing problems. WIll keep you guys informed if changing the valve solves the problem :-)

No worries

So the idea is to not spend any money that is no nessesary, and codes can be misleading, often a cheap pattern fuel filter has been known to cause problems (restricting the fuel flow or not filtering effectively) best to fit a genuine ford filter or "premium" brand

Garages / mechanics love to pend your money even if its on things you don't need and ive heard a few "horror" stories from rapairs done at main dealers etc, so i always best to replace the "service" items or cheaper items before "smashing the piggy bank" as it were! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guy's, I have had the same problems as you. please do yourselves a favour and have a leak-off test done on your injectors. this will not only save you time but also cash. Martin my codes were read and came up with the same answer as yours, changed the pump and still the same problems. I was advised to have a leak off test as these codes can be misleading. ALL THEY ARE TELLING YOU IS THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE HIGH PRESSURE FUEL SYSTEM. PLEASE HAVE A LEAK OFF TEST AND SAVE SOME TIME AND MONEY. George

Hi George, how much did this test cost you? And did it mean you got the issue sorted in the end?

George is right!! Get the leak off test done!! The problem was the 4th injector was FUBAR'd!! Replaced and everything runs like clockwork now! The code kept coming back as the Fuel inlet metering valve even after changing it. So the code does not always mean that is what is wrong!

Steesh, a local garage charged me £30 for the leak off test! But getting the injector changed getting them recoded, the EGR cleaned out, a new fuel filter (as it had a cheapy one in there so changed for a Bosch one) and labour cost me £440!!! Plus the £189 for replacing the metering valve for no fookin reason :angry:

Still problem noe solved and its a dream to drive now!!!

I had P132BFINED - sticking VGT, the an injector went "open circuit" so im off to collect it after a recon injector and a Revive treatment hoping i can nurse it for 6 weeks and 3000 miles contract work then replace the car