Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Rattling When Idle

Silverdogs

I bought a 2003 Mondeo TDCi estate a couple of months ago. It has a full service history so I wasn't too worried about it having anything seriously wrong with it.

I've never owned a diesel before and it drives really well, no problems or strange noises, accelerates nicely thanks to the turbo, but when the engine is idling it sounds rattly until I put the clutch down and then the rattling stops. Should I be concerned? We saved for three months to buy a car after the head gasket went on our Vectra and I bought it on my own with no help, so if anything is seriously wrong it, it's going to be my fault of course!

Could be the crank shaft pully

Ok, big job, little job, expensive job?

Shouldnt be too bad but id take it to a garage and just get them to check it over first theres a few things that could cause a rattle :)

Can you hear where abouts the noise is coming from?

The engine! :D

Sorry, I'll open the bonnet tomorrow and listen, but I don't really know one engine part from another. I know where to put the oil and water and jump leads, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes and my husband is the same (he wouldn't admit it, though).

• Like 1

Lol thats what I meant what area of the car is it coming from lol

clutch release bearing maybe ? if its worn and vibrating on the clutch pressure plate it could cause the noise, when you press the clutch down the load on the bearing may then cause the noise to go.

• Like 1

Of course it would sound different when the clutch is pressed, but my ear is not well tuned to the normal sound of a diesel engine and I could be worrying about nothing. There just seems to be something extra that doesn't sound normal. I have taken a video, not sure if it helps or not!

If this noise disappears when you dip the clutch it could be the DMF on the way out.Get an opinion from a clutch center then shop around for the best price.

100% clutch release bearing on its way out. Ill bet my mortgage on it!

While your having that done id recommend you get the clutch and dual mass flywheel done at the same time.

If you get the DMF and clutch replaced best take a valium before they give you the estimate!

Thanks. If it was the clutch release bearing wouldn't it make a noise when the clutch was depressed, rather than the other way round?

What's a DMF? :unsure:

If you get the DMF and clutch replaced best take a valium before they give you the estimate!

OMG I'm scared to even think about that!

Dual Mass Flywheel of course! Silly me. :rolleyes:

I am afraid to tell you a new DMF and clutch assembly will set you back between £800 and £1300 depending who does the job. Lets hope the DMF is OK ! I had one done this week and it cost me £814, the symptom was a clattering noise at tickover and when the engine shut down. How many miles has your car done?

Oh.............My...........God, I can't tell my husband! It's done 137k

Ok just been out to test a couple of things after reading your replies. There is no vibration on the clutch pedal and it doesn't rattle when the engine is switched off. Better start saving again anyway!

We are only assuming its the Clutch/DMF,it could be anything. Its hard to say without actually looking at the car. Best get expert advice from someone in the trade you can trust.

Yes I will when I have the money to get something done about it, but from what I've read here and elsewhere online it seems to be the most popular diagnosis.

If its not rattling when you switch off the DMF is fine. But I would still recommend a clutch while your in there.

Release bearings make this kind of noise, is noisy when no load on them but shut up when you depress the pedal. Im a technician with over 20 years experience and this is my bread and butter.

Parts for the clutch and bearing your only looking about £100-£150 from a parts factor. and to fit its a 6 hour job because the gearbox has to come off.

Dont be too dis-heartened its just generalwear and tear its not a sign of other serious issues

• Like 2

Please let us know how this turns out. Good luck

If its not rattling when you switch off the DMF is fine. But I would still recommend a clutch while your in there.

Release bearings make this kind of noise, is noisy when no load on them but shut up when you depress the pedal. Im a technician with over 20 years experience and this is my bread and butter.

Parts for the clutch and bearing your only looking about £100-£150 from a parts factor. and to fit its a 6 hour job because the gearbox has to come off.

Dont be too dis-heartened its just generalwear and tear its not a sign of other serious issues

Thanks Kev! :) So how much am I looking at for a new clutch fitted? Are these release bearing thingies part of the clutch or something separate?

Love your avatar btw!

Please let us know how this turns out. Good luck

Thanks for your help, that's another thing to add to my knowledge about cars. :D

expect to pay about £300 is for a clutch AND release bearing fitted at a decent independant. Stay away from national chains. Your purse will thank you for that later!