Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Regeneration

Terryv30

Hi,

I have just purchased a 2012 1.6 and I wanted to ask about the regeneration process of the dpf. I work nine miles from home and a lot of the journey is 50-60 mph on empty b roads. I am an environmental health officer so I also do town driving with stop start when I visits businesses etc but that also includes trips of 25 miles or so across the district for visits so it's a mixture of driving. I do also do longer motorway trips 60 miles or so to see family some weekends.

No doubt the dpf regeneration will happen at some point but is it safe to turn the car off when it's doing it? Will the fans just keep running?.

I do make a point on some of my journeys to keep it in a lower gear and rev it harder.

In hindsight maybe I should have gone for the petrol although I do love the way the diesel drives :-)

Cheers.

Hi, it is really best to let the regen complete its process with the engine running. For a regen to take place, if you peform only short journey's, a quick blast for 20 mins or so once a month on a 'A' road would actually suffice. the choice of diesel versus petrol is mainly down to mileage.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I generally will give it that kind of blast once a month anyway so it should be fine.

I picked the diesel because it was such a good deal and it was in a sale plus the twenty pound road tax. I was getting mid 30s mpg with the 1.6 petrol and I am now getting hi 40s with the same journey's.

I did consider the petrol but the cars were the same price which surprised me so diesel it is :-)

Hopefully that is the best choice for you, however I would suggest, give it a 20 minute, high rev blast down a motorway once a month, to keep it in tip top condition.

You need to give it high revs, for high heat,which cannot really be done on A or B roads, due to the slow - fast approach of driving around the bends...

How do you know when it is regenerating?

I have a Diesel - but cant say I have ever noticed anything?

Regards

John

passive regeneration is invisible pretty much, you would just notice a lower MPG if you were looking, and if you have something like Torque Pro, you could also see the temperatures increasing around the exhaust area.

Active regeneration is a light you dont want to see, but to be fair, I suspect that your CDMF shouldnt need it.

Who do you use as your local ford dealer? I tend to use pier road dagenham motors in Gillingham as they tend to be very good and honest.

Thanks jeebowhite - that's why I have not noticed anything.

I use SMC in Sittingbourne - my wife has had two Fiesta's from them over the past 8yrs and they have taken care of both extremely well.

I bought the new Fiesta and my Focus in December last year from them and I have a very good relationship with Sales, parts and service - this probably helps in the level of Customer service I get - that and the £36k I spent in December of course.

I used Dagenham Motors for my Wife's first Fiesta about 12yrs ago and I was not at all impressed with them. As I say it WAS 12yrs ago - plus it's too far away.

Thanks again for your reply on DPF

Regards

John

A 70mph run in fourth gear will usually do the job, as long as the exhaust heats up enough to burn off the carbon deposits you'll have no problems.

Ford used to use an Eolys fluid additive to lower the burning temperature of the carbon so it would regenerate at normal driving temperatures but it was a bit of a faff, the fluid was expensive and refilling was a messy pain in the rear.

Thanks Stoney871

Regards

John

Hi, actually 60mph in 4th will be fine and it does not have to be a motorway at all. I once owned a Mk4 Mondeo 2.0l diesel and it was always used around town for very short journey's. All I did was once a month took it for about a 20 mile around trip where I forced a regen by working the engine hard. Even with a passive regen it was obvious it was taking place because the engine note would change, heat would be coming out from underneath the car and the cooling fan was on continuously. However the OP is doing everything correctly and shouldn't have a problem at all.

Thanks cuke

Regards

John

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club