Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

7 posts in this topic

Hi I have recently acquired a 2001 ford focus 1.8ltr and have found that as I'm driving along the speedo just drops down to 0mph? Everything else on the dashboard works fine but I lose power slightly as I'm driving along there aren't any error messages showing up when I have it plugged in so I don't know what is causing it. Any ideas?

Im sure this is something to do with a sensor in the accelerator pedal

Definitely without a shadow of a doubt it's the speedo sensor on the gearbox (VSS).

It's a very well known and common fault especially the power loss bit.

You need a new VSS-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SPEED-SPEEDO-SENSOR-1998-2004-TOP-QUALITY-1087548-NEW-SS1-/150731145659?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231846c1bb

From Ford they'll charge you about £60 for the sensor alone so the one listed above is a bargain.

The fitting can be a bit laborious and access isn't brilliant kerbside but if you have access to ramps then it is far easier.

A couple of problems with removing the old one are that the old pin can snap or the head of the VSS can break off in the hole and need more ingenious ways to remove it.

If you go carefully and use a rocking/twisting motion on the sensor with a pair of mole grips then it will pop out, (put a little grease/oil on the seals on the new sensor before refitting.

If you're not confident then a garage will do it for about an hours labour.

I stand corrected. I cant remember what car it is with the accelerator pedal sensor :/

I stand corrected. I cant remember what car it is with the accelerator pedal sensor :/

All cars with the pedal sensor can get a fault but the symptom of the speedo dropping and the power loss together are classic VSS symptoms.

DanGersFord likes this

Hi thanks very much for your help!! will see to it straight away just one query though. Would the VSS cause the car to cut out completely????

Yes it can cause stalling as the engine management balances fuel metering by speed/revs etc.

On my old MK1 i found that a bit of throttle jiggling was required when stopped at lights and junctions to avoid stalls.