Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

durango

2005 Ka Gearbox Removal

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm intending to replace the release bearing assembly. Can the gearbox be removed without uncoupling the exhaust? The Haynes manual is unclear as to which coupling on the exhaust needs unfastening. There are two heat-shields situated above the RH driveshaft, the upper one has rusted bolts. Can the engine be canted down without having to uncouple the exhaust pipe? The car is on axle stands.

you can swing the KA box on the shafts.

Undo the gearbox mountings, bell housing bolts and gear linkages and anything else connected to the box. then wiggle the box off the clutch (may need a lever bar) and then swing the box down on the shafts.

Personally if your doing the release bearing id do the clutch aswell. While your in there etc

you can swing the KA box on the shafts.

Undo the gearbox mountings, bell housing bolts and gear linkages and anything else connected to the box. then wiggle the box off the clutch (may need a lever bar) and then swing the box down on the shafts.

Personally if your doing the release bearing id do the clutch as well. While your in there etc

Thanks, I will proceed on that, if I don't have to touch the exhaust that will be great. Does the starter remain in situ?

It's actually a pronounced whirring noise which disappears when the pedal is depressed. The car has only done 14k, I think the previous owner must have rested their foot on the clutch pedal.

starter has to come off.

you also might make your life a little easier if you disconnect the drivers lower ball joint, gives a bit of movement to allow box to pull away from the engine a bit easier and much easier to put the box back too

Steelie600 likes this

Agree with above

Starter does indeed need to be moved back out of the way MAKE SURE you disconnect the battery first!!

And yeah popping the ball joint will give a bit more room but you can do it without

starter has to come off.

you also might make your life a little easier if you disconnect the drivers lower ball joint, gives a bit of movement to allow box to pull away from the engine a bit easier and much easier to put the box back too

Thanks, first job tomorrow morning.

Just one further point, does the entire RH engine mount have to be removed as per the manual?

not as i can recall, I take it you mean the one that goes back of diff to subframe?

Manual just says "unscrew single bolt and two nuts then remove engine mounting upper bracket" then lower the engine.

Thing is the design is so compact its not obvious to the uninitiated whats going off!

Hi, do I expect to lose all the gearbox oil as I undo the bolts? There's 8 on the lower end of it, 2 at the top and another 2 on top of bell housing.

Unexpected problem- the power steering pipes appear to be obstructing the LH gearbox mount when it comes to be lowered, see pic.

post-43638-0-84238800-1368984978_thumb.j