Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus TDCI odd problem

David87M3

Hi,

I have just bought a Focus TDCI 52 plate for the wife. Its got 109k miles on and its in nice condition. When we first looked at the car it did not start first time, Second time burst into like perfectly with very little smoke (car was on a garage forecourt). I assumed a slightly flat battery or that fact its been stood for a while.

Since picking the car up it has done the above 2 or 3 times. I am going to replace fuel filter ASAP!

Sometimes when it fires up the is a slight "screetch" noise for about 1/2 a second.

Last night it took 2 attempts to start it (warm engine). I am wondering if this is a fuel pressure issue??? Also when i turn ignition on I dont hear a fuel pump run, Should I hear one run or not?

Apart from that it drives very well indeed with no other issues.

With regards to upgrades can fog lights and rear electric windows be retro fitted?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Sounds a bit like a Dual Mass Flywheel issue to me that mate. Get it looked at under your warranty. I hope you got a warranty cos its not cheap to get them replaced. If they do do the work, DMF usually damages the starter motor too so make sure they check that out too. As for front fogs, yes it can be done. Check behind the front bumper. Sometimes the wirings there for then and just taped up, it is on mine. If this is so you just need the lights and brackets and lower grill and a new switch and you're in business. As for electric windows cant see why it wouldnt be possible BUT I dont think it would be cheap. You'd need new door card inserts, regulators and motors, door looms and rear switches and a new drivers switch console.

Sounds a bit like a Dual Mass Flywheel issue to me that mate. Get it looked at under your warranty. I hope you got a warranty cos its not cheap to get them replaced. If they do do the work, DMF usually damages the starter motor too so make sure they check that out too. As for front fogs, yes it can be done. Check behind the front bumper. Sometimes the wirings there for then and just taped up, it is on mine. If this is so you just need the lights and brackets and lower grill and a new switch and you're in business. As for electric windows cant see why it wouldnt be possible BUT I dont think it would be cheap. You'd need new door card inserts, regulators and motors, door looms and rear switches and a new drivers switch console.

Thanks. Hopefully it wont fail completely cos the warranty isnt worth the paper its written on.... If its the flywheel then I will get clutch done as well. do they fail completely and what happens if the wheel fails? engine written off?

Thanks

Dave,

Try replacing the glow plugs, you'll probably find those are shot. The screeching may be a loose belt, would get it checked.

Good luck.

JI

quote name='David87M3' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:54 AM' post='16568']

Hi,

I have just bought a Focus TDCI 52 plate for the wife. Its got 109k miles on and its in nice condition. When we first looked at the car it did not start first time, Second time burst into like perfectly with very little smoke (car was on a garage forecourt). I assumed a slightly flat battery or that fact its been stood for a while.

Since picking the car up it has done the above 2 or 3 times. I am going to replace fuel filter ASAP!

Sometimes when it fires up the is a slight "screetch" noise for about 1/2 a second.

Last night it took 2 attempts to start it (warm engine). I am wondering if this is a fuel pressure issue??? Also when i turn ignition on I dont hear a fuel pump run, Should I hear one run or not?

With regards to upgrades can fog lights and rear electric windows be retro fitted?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave,

Try replacing the glow plugs, you'll probably find those are shot. The screeching may be a loose belt, would get it checked.

Good luck.

JI

quote name='David87M3' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:54 AM' post='16568']

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Dave

Thanks chaps. took it to a ford dealer for a quick look and they confirmed fly wheel

Spoke to garage I got it from and they are going to pay labour if I get parts. fair enough concidering it hast failed its just worn

Euro car parts are quoting £308 for clutch kit and fly wheel. Ford wanted £1010 parts only

Dave

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club