Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remap Advice

Dickie76

Hi,

I'm looking to have my ECU remapped by Dreamscience in Hull. This option seems to be the most reputable amongst Form Owners.

It would be the "One Shot" package that increased the BHP to 260 (From 225) and doesn't require any upgrades on the Exhaust or Turbo.

Has anybody done this and was it a good option?? they also do a 290BHP for the same money but I'm a little concerned this may cause issues???

I only use the car at weekends and do about 3k PA.

Cheers

I'd run a panel filter in it if you're remapping at all. 260 - 270 is fine on stock parts really, above this the exhaust needs switching out ideally and a sport cat/decat. Higher still you'd need the downpipe swapping out, I'd say at 290 - 300. Higher than this you're looking at injectors, intercoolers, turbos, etc; but that's going up to 330 - 350bhp really.

I know you only wanted mapping, but the info is always handy :P

Nowt wrong with remapping to that on a standard car. It might be wise to get an uprated intercooler for the summer (haha!) to keep the temps down.

I run Bluefin stage 2 with just an intercooler and it's fine. I get more MPG as a nice consequence..

I havent had my car remapped, but given half a chance and the money to hand I would...

Unless you want to upgrade the hardware, you want to stick with the lower spec, but if you do upgrade to the biggest power, you need to upgrade the parts relatively quickly in terms of coming mileage...

Thanks for all of your advice, I will look into a Panel Filter before upgrading the power.

On a separate note I'm looking to change the Front Discs (Grooved/Drilled) and upgrading the Pads, not the callipers.

This is purely a next stage upgrade but need to know what will be the best Brand. I'm not looking for Track Day Pads/Discs, it will be for Road use.

Where is the best place to buy them?? Any advice welcome.

Cheers

It's generally regarded on the owners forum that for the odd track day you'll be just as well off with the genuine ford pads and discs as they perform very well.

I got front and rear pads and discs from my local dealer last year for just over £200 and fitted them myself. Bargain.

The only things ive heard of being a potential problem is the clutch and DMF wearing out quickly or failing if you are doing a lot of hard starts, i think the power/ torque is restricted in 1st/2nd and some remaps bypass this. (the ESP holds the car back, only using the available grip anyway)

Its interesting that you would think that increasing your power to 260Bhp would not cause issues but to 290Bhp would? - the engine is effectively the same as the RS which has been safely taken to 390Bhp so i would not think 290 would cause problems, what does Dreamscience say about this?

I always thought the Superchips Bluefin was the most popular amoungst Ford owners, how do they compare price- wise/ how much does the Dreamscience cost?

It's not really the same engine as an RS. The main differences are: Internals, rods, pistons, crank, inlet camshaft and cobalt coated liners and the compression is lower. Bigger turbo as well and oil pump and cooler.

The fact that Ford don't maintain warranty for the Mountune MR290 package whereas the MP260 does should tell you something about the reliable tuning capability of the ST engine...

It's not really the same engine as an RS. The main differences are: Internals, rods, pistons, crank, inlet camshaft and cobalt coated liners and the compression is lower. Bigger turbo as well and oil pump and cooler.

The fact that Ford don't maintain warranty for the Mountune MR290 package whereas the MP260 does should tell you something about the reliable tuning capability of the ST engine...

Fair enough, i thought the crank was the same, the camshaft is probably got more lift and/or duration for more power/ revs and not a "strength" issue, the pistons may be different to change the compression i did not know the liners were cobalt coated - i know there are a few people that have fitted RS parts (eg airbox, inlet manifold turbo) onto an otherwise stock block - probably not very reliable long- term (the oil pump is bad for going anyway)

I always thought the Superchips Bluefin was the most popular amoungst Ford owners, how do they compare price- wise/ how much does the Dreamscience cost?

Bluefin is very popular yes (it's what I have - can't fault it), but so is Dreamscience, code red, collins and revo amongst others.

They're all around the £320 > £500 mark and depends if you want a handset or not and how aggressive you want your turbo to come in. That is a compromise with longevity / clutch survival I'd advise...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club