Cleaning Egr.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I just normally search ebay and get it cheap from there.

Micky, please start a new thread. Best chance your gonna get is to find out by using the dash technique or a scanner to get a code otherwise your throwing money into a hole

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 blue flash

blue flash

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Ford Model: focus ghia
  • Year: 2005

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

thanks everyone who answerd my questions,i've had a look up the pipe on the egr and it's full of gunk.i have on order a 3mm s/steel blank off fleabay and a can of egr cleaner.so I've been in 2 minds what to do,but I've decided to give it a clean out this weekend hopefully when the weathers better.havent done this before so gona be a bit nervous.

#18 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,107 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I would be relieved to try mr muscle lol unless someone confirms miracles do happen and they have tried it :P

Micky, welcome to the forum. You can clean the EGR yourself by using WHYNNS EGR cleaner (its not as good as a take out and spit polish but it helps. As for the EGR cost, I cant recall really what they charge but its a few hundred after labour IIRC.

#19 blue flash

blue flash

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Ok,didnt get time to clean the egr last weekend so it's having it tomorrow.1 question,do I need to disconnect the air filter housing with the mass air flow meter. cheers. 

#20 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Ok,didnt get time to clean the egr last weekend so it's having it tomorrow.1 question,do I need to disconnect the air filter housing with the mass air flow meter. cheers. 

To clean the EGR properly involves removing it, and the inlet manifold, and cleaning it with a brush and solvent (petrol, thinners, engine de-greasant mr muscle etc) its a really dirty job, if you don't remove the EGR valve and inlet manifold, any carbon/ muck will be ingested into the engine, which is not good,

So i recommend you just fit the (solid, stainless steel) blanking plate only, (without spraying anything into the engine) or remove the EGR + inlet manifold and clean it properly, or have it cleaned (i just gave my inlet manifold to a valeter to use a high-power jet-wash to clean it)  

"better to put the muck into a bucket than back into the engine"

I designed and fitted an EGR delete system for my car 7 years ago and know a little bit about EGRs, blanking plates, etc, i would never spray anything into the engine when it was running

Just fitting the solid plate will stop the carbon building up more if you are not prepared to clean the EGR / inlet manifold properly by taking it off / cleaning it              

#21 Focus_IRE

Focus_IRE

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
  • Name: Stephen
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi 110BHP
Contributor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hi FOCA, even if you were to fit the solid blanking plate would cleaning the whole lot make any diffenece doing it, what would happen to the material that is already buit up in the system?

#22 blue flash

blue flash

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

ok thanks for the advice and knowledge foca.

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,107 posts
Contributor

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I did this yesterday...

Take off the engine cover if you have it, when you look at the engine, bay you will see the engine is centre/left, if you look to the centre/right closer to you, you will have a t shape hose. one end goes into the air filter then that splits off into two, goes into the turbo at the front of the engine and then a small thinner tube goes up to the engine head.you take it off at the bottom right corner (so it still goes to the turbo and engine head) and then start the engine, just lightly put your hand over the hose and you will feel it sucking the air in.

You need to spray the cleaner into there for about 1 second, then stop, let the revs return and then do it again. Keep going till you have it sorted. I stopped to talk to a colleague in the middle, so the process took about 20 minutes.

Also I have in the boot of my car still, a winter snow brush / ice scraper. I gently wedged that against the driver seat and pushed it onto the accelerator pedal so that the car was idling at about 1050 revs, rather than 750, as I nearly stalled the car following the instructions which said "leave the car running at idle"...

Since doing it, the car feels better at lower revs, but I really need the time to take the EGR and insert a blanking plate on it!

#24 focus zetec s black

focus zetec s black

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Name: dean
  • Ford Model: focus zetec s 08
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

hi mate best thing to do is start a new thread

also state what engine if it the 1.8 it a easy diy job......prob a good place to start the egr but a def would get it on diagnostics

#25 karlos the jackal

karlos the jackal

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Name: Karl
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec TDCi 1.8
  • Year: 2009

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

I pick up my 1.8 TDCi on Tuesday. It only has 24k on the clock. Is it worth blanking off the EGR now rather than wait until it's gets all gooed up and giving me problems later?

#26 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: MONDEO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

I pick up my 1.8 TDCi on Tuesday. It only has 24k on the clock. Is it worth blanking off the EGR now rather than wait until it's gets all gooed up and giving me problems later?

Probably, yes.

Its worth taking it off to see if there is any build up already and clean that off first.

#27 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Stevegtuk

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: MONDEO

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

To clean the EGR properly involves removing it, and the inlet manifold, and cleaning it with a brush and solvent (petrol, thinners, engine de-greasant mr muscle etc) its a really dirty job, if you don't remove the EGR valve and inlet manifold, any carbon/ muck will be ingested into the engine, which is not good,

So i recommend you just fit the (solid, stainless steel) blanking plate only, (without spraying anything into the engine) or remove the EGR + inlet manifold and clean it properly, or have it cleaned (i just gave my inlet manifold to a valeter to use a high-power jet-wash to clean it)  

"better to put the muck into a bucket than back into the engine"

I designed and fitted an EGR delete system for my car 7 years ago and know a little bit about EGRs, blanking plates, etc, i would never spray anything into the engine when it was running

Just fitting the solid plate will stop the carbon building up more if you are not prepared to clean the EGR / inlet manifold properly by taking it off / cleaning it              

I agree with Foca with regards to taking the egr off and cleaning it manualy.

If you spray anything into it and if chunks of carbon break off and go into the engine, your taking a risk of knakering the engine. Also spraying in situ will not gaurantee all the crap is cleaned off no matter how many times you spray it, where as taking it off and doing it yourself will.

If your gonna do a job, do it right first time then youll never have to worry about it.

#28 blue flash

blue flash

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Ok chaps,going to put the blanking plate on the egr,question for you.which is the best place to put it,bulk head side (rear) or from the side(right) looking at engine. thanks again.

#29 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,107 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

+1 on FOCA and Steve, I had no issues with my car before (Edit: OK, didnt have this particular issue before, the car has many many issues!), I then did WHYNN'S EGR cleaner and thought that should give it a bit of a clean before I blank it off, since then I get a lot of black smoke. The EGR is blanked, the smoke is vastly reduced (think I still have an overfuelling issue though) but I didnt have the time to take the EGR off and clean it, and that is the consequence!

#30 Foxy63

Foxy63

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Focus

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

It sounds to me that it could be the DPF filter is getting blocked that's if you have one fitted?
If you have one fitted to your model then to clean it you need to drive your car down the motorway in a low gear with high revs.
A new DPF filter is expensive or try and have it cleaned for you.
I believe reading on the forum a while ago that you can have the DPF removed and remapped for around £200.
I hope this info helps

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users