Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Name: Nicolas
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 2013 1.0 Ecoboost Racing Red
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

Hi to everyone. I have been looking at how to take care of my car and its paint work in the best way. Came across a couple detailing threads but everyone has different methods of doing stuff.

Waxing Vs polishing, or both... etc

I checked out meguiars site and watched their videos and have came up with a list in the order they should be used.

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner I don't know if this is just the first wash? and then after applying wax ou have to use another product to not take the wax off ... ?

Smooth Surface Clay Kit Seen what it does, but do i need it to start off with a new car? I mean it should arrive spotless.

Ultimate Polish Then NXT Tech Wax 2.0

And to finish

Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

Please let me know if there is any i don't need or wont work or other products that will work better. I don't know of any other brands... Maybe i have the it all wrong, ???

Thanks.

Nick

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Marcr1

Marcr1

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Audi A3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

The shampoo is fine :D its a plain shampoo so won't add anything like wax. I use it myself and it smells amazing!

You wouldn't need clay for a brand spanking new car as there shouldn't be any contaminants  stuck to the paintwork.

Its also up to you whether you want to polish it, depends if you're happy with any dealer inflicted swirls :P 

I would definitely use a wax though, as for meguiars products I really like their liquid wax. It's such a doddle to apply and has stunning results.

If you want an outstanding wheel sealant I can only recommend Finnish Kare 1000p. The durability and shine it gives is second to none.

As a whole, meguiars products are very good but people have their own preferences and you can't often decide from one brand to the other.

My collection consists of mainly Meguiars and Auto Finesse!

#3 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

thats what i was thinking aqbout the clay, i wouldnt need it at the beginning. But if i understand correctly i should never need to clay the car if i keep maintaining a good wax on the car?

Finnish Kare 1000p is this a paste? i don't seem to find any website about it...

Auto finesse has some wheel paste too, is it any good? or is the best the one you mentionned above?

I dont think the car will come with swirls... at least i hope not lol.

So the process is:

Rinse car

Shampoo two bucket method

Rinse off

Dry the car with microfibre towel

Clay if needed

Polish

Wipe polish off

Wax

Wipe wax off

??

I here people using Red mist, what is this stuff? i think some people use it on top of their layer of wax jsut for extra protection

DO i need to change shampoo? i need one that doesnt take the wax off every time? am i correct? this meabns i need another type since the first stage shampoo will apparently take all the wax off

I have also seen people using har or soft wax, hard apparently is better, and then their are others that use hard and then a layer of soft... Whats the diff?

#4 b4zz

b4zz

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Name: Barry
  • Ford Model: facelift focus zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

you would be suprized at what the clay takes off if you do clay it fella.

I know its a new car but it may have been sat on a dock side for a few hours and then sat on the dealer for court before you came across it so wouldent hurt to clay it if you want

#5 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

well the car is brand new, in fact production hasnt even started for france yet. Well it should start it June so hoping to have it on end of june or something like that. So it shouldnt need to much claying i think but i think i will still give it a go just to see. If the first parts are clean then i wont do the whole car.

#6 Chris C-Max

Chris C-Max

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Ford C-Max Titanium 2.0TDCi

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

You'd be surprised what is on the paint of a new car.  Don't just clay, think about using a bleeding fallout remover too, as these will dissolve the metal fragments present. 

I had a brand new B-Max to protect, it was straight from the plant to the dock to dealer, but was absolutely covered in industrial fallout. 

#7 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

You'd be surprised what is on the paint of a new car.  Don't just clay, think about using a bleeding fallout remover too, as these will dissolve the metal fragments present. 

I had a brand new B-Max to protect, it was straight from the plant to the dock to dealer, but was absolutely covered in industrial fallout. 

Whats this bleeding fallout remover? never seen them.

Anyone can explain to me what the dodo juice red mist is?

#8 Chris C-Max

Chris C-Max

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Whats this bleeding fallout remover? never seen them.

Anyone can explain to me what the dodo juice red mist is?

They react with metal particles, dissolving them thereby lifting them off the paint surface. The bleeding effect shows where the contamination is being dissolved. WaxTec has one which is very good value http://www.wax-tec.c...detail?Itemid=0

Red Mist is a hybrid quick detailing spray / sealant.

HTH

#9 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

seems to be a pretty strong product, can it damage the paint work if used too long or wrongly?

#10 Chris C-Max

Chris C-Max

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

seems to be a pretty strong product, can it damage the paint work if used too long or wrongly?

Follow the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.  With most of them you never should let them dry, as it can potentially stain trim and plastics etc.  Rinse VERY well too. Best not to use them in direct sunlight if I'm honest.

How much time do you want to be spending maintaining the finish? 

Chris

#11 Emma727

Emma727

Car Cleaning freak!!

• FOC Supporters
  • 79 posts
  • Name: Emma
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci zetec
  • Year: 2010

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

The only things I'd change on your list are the polish and wax, have a look at DODO JUICE Orange crush as a wax and again DODO JUICE Lime prime as a polish.

Red mist is something called a quick detailer, it basically helps to top up your wax's protection after washing the car, removes bird bombs pretty good too!!

Hard and soft wax depends on how you will be waxing, if your using an applicator pad then it wont make much difference in the long run, soft wax's are generally easier to apply and spread quite well if your not used to waxing or how much wax to use per panel.

I use a soft wax simply because i do everything by hand and it's a lot easier.

The dodo juice Orange crush is a soft wax http://www.cleanyour...h/prod_397.html

if you didnt want to spend over £30 on wax then they do panel pots too which will give you 3 coats easily if applied correctly (a little goes a LONG way with dodo juice) http://www.cleanyour...-/prod_608.html

And the Lime prime http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo-juice/dodo-juice-lime-prime/prod_441.html 

I love dodo juice stuff because it's simple to use, gives you amazing results and doesnt cost the earth!!

just to add my pot of dodo juice rainforest rub was purchased in 2010 and is still over half full and it's been used every time ive washed and waxed a car in the last 3 years, the stuff lasts forever!!

#12 Chris C-Max

Chris C-Max

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:31 AM

Just to add that Dodo Juice Lime Prime is abrasive, and Lime Prime Lite doesn't have the cut in it

Chris

#13 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

The only things I'd change on your list are the polish and wax, have a look at DODO JUICE Orange crush as a wax and again DODO JUICE Lime prime as a polish.

Red mist is something called a quick detailer, it basically helps to top up your wax's protection after washing the car, removes bird bombs pretty good too!!

Hard and soft wax depends on how you will be waxing, if your using an applicator pad then it wont make much difference in the long run, soft wax's are generally easier to apply and spread quite well if your not used to waxing or how much wax to use per panel.

I use a soft wax simply because i do everything by hand and it's a lot easier.

The dodo juice Orange crush is a soft wax http://www.cleanyour...h/prod_397.html

if you didnt want to spend over £30 on wax then they do panel pots too which will give you 3 coats easily if applied correctly (a little goes a LONG way with dodo juice) http://www.cleanyour...-/prod_608.html

And the Lime prime http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo-juice/dodo-juice-lime-prime/prod_441.html 

I love dodo juice stuff because it's simple to use, gives you amazing results and doesnt cost the earth!!

just to add my pot of dodo juice rainforest rub was purchased in 2010 and is still over half full and it's been used every time ive washed and waxed a car in the last 3 years, the stuff lasts forever!!

thanks =), i will check out the wax then =). Anyways i think in the end it will come down to personal preference. But at least i know a couple of good ones i can choose from and try out =).

Just to add that Dodo Juice Lime Prime is abrasive, and Lime Prime Lite doesn't have the cut in it

Chris

Why would polish be abrasive?

Could some one run me through on what products to use on the list in which order? And when to wash after using them?

#14 Emma727

Emma727

Car Cleaning freak!!

• FOC Supporters
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Polish would be abrasive to help remove very light scratches and swirls/marks.
The Lime prime is abrasive but not majorly, if your worried about abrasiveness then the lime prime light is probably better for you, it gives the exact same result if you have no scratches/swirls.
If you don't like the idea of lime prime/light then autoglym super resin polish is also pretty damn good

#15 Emma727

Emma727

Car Cleaning freak!!

• FOC Supporters
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

If you need any more advice take a look at the website below, they are all really friendly and there's some awesome guides and product reviews on there too!!
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users