Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem Starting 2001 1.8 Zetec 16V Ford Focus

Liam.H

hi, (sorry said 2003 in the title by accident) i I have a 2001 1.8 zetec 16 valve ford focus and about a year ago I had problems starting it from cold and when it started it would idle just on the next line above 1000rpm and and when i changed gear it would seem to rev down slower than normal not really bad but i could notice the difference but when the engine warmed it would go back to the line below 1000rpm but still didn't rev down much faster, recently the problem has got worse and now when it starts it just cuts out and i have to keep revving it till it stops cutting out, I've been told it could be a number of things but it could be something simple, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP :(

Edited by Liam.H

Hi Liam,

welcome to the club. I have updated your subject to reflect 2001 and not 2003.

I wonder if your having a problem with the MAF sensor or the ICV? are you able to take either / both off and check them for general cleanliness?

• Like 1

Hi James, Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your help, Ive been told it could be the IACV before but not the MAF where would I find the MAF sensor ?

MAF sensor is usually somewhere on the air intake around the air filter if I recall correctly... I dont have a Haynes for your particular model so cant point you to it immediately.

However, a quick google search: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2001+focus+maf+sensor+cleaning has revealed a few videos that may help you.

being at work I cant really check and confirm but one or several of those in combination should give you a starting point?

• Like 1

when my mk1 1.8 did this there were two things 1st was a collapsed hose under acceleration behind the throttle body second was the idle control valve needed replaced both easy jobs

Just had a similar problem on my sons 1.8 ended up being the tps try putting your foot to the floor to start it if it does start first time I,d say tps five min fix

• 1 month later...

James I just ordered some CRC MAF Sensor cleaner to start because it could help with fuel economy, also when it first starts up I noticed when i roll down the hill in neutral the rev meter goes up then when i stop it goes down and this makes it a bit hard and rough when i change gear !!!

Arthur where did you get the Idle air control valve from ?

and Neil what is tps ?

i'm not a mechanic as you can tell lol

It's the throttle position sensor the small switch on the side of the single point injection (carb) takes two mins to replace .

i just looked at videos for the tps and they all show the revs dying down at certain points and bouncing but not coming down slowly, my car seems to be revving its self slightly when i change gear and when i roll in neutral

would have a close look for an air leak to start with, would also give the throttle body a good clean where the butterfly sits, best to use a mild cleaner with a rag...something like wd40.

TPS can be fully tested with a volt meter, no need to buy and try...can run you through it if you have a meter

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club