Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Mondeo 2.0 Tdci Starting Problem

dog1975

hi guys I've just purchased a 2002 mondeo 2.0 tdci and I am having trouble starting the car when you insert the the key and turn the ignition on and wait for the glow plug light to go out the car fails to even turn over it is like the immobiliser is stuck on then after a while trying the start procedure several times the car starts but runs really rough you can't hold the car at a constant speed it sounds like it is misfiring badly till you accelerate can any shed some light on this problem !!!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum! - it could be more than one problem -

The not turning over could be the starter, the battery, the solenoid etc (not turning over means the engine does not crank/ turn when the ignition is turned) - the missing could be the EGR valve / injectors/ various sensors/ engine needing cleaned out or serviced etc etc

you could fit a solid EGR blanking plate, fit a new air filter, fuel filter oil/ filter, and clean out the inlet manifold intercooler - the CAT exhaust could bo coked up and a good old "italian tune up" can help it will be a euro3 (no prroblems with the EGR plate) and a pnumatic actuator, it may have a front or rear EGR and a fixed or variable vane turbo - if its variable the mech can get choked/ blocked

hi thanks for that information I managed to get the car started this morning took it for a quick test run it ran fine for about 2mins then I noticed the temp gauge had come up to normal within about 3 mins then the car started to run really ropey coughing and spluttering and at about 60mph there was thick black smoke pouring out the back and it was struggling to maintain a constant speed it felt like it was going to cut out

Check the boost hoses - if their is a leak it could cause this , or the previously mentioned EGR

• 3 months later...

Taken from my thread on this:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< UPDATE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I purchased a cheap throttle position sensor from eBay for £15 (genuine part normally costs £70), fitted it and didn't solve the problem, so moving on.

After some research this is what I have found with regards to the stuttering/fuel starvation/misfiring :::

ecutesting.com :::

This common fault of misfire on two cylinders or complete non start is often caused by the ignition coil pack shorting out on the vehicle - it is very important that the ignition coil pack is replaced at the same time as refitting your ECU after it has been repaired - or your faulty coil pack may damage the repaired ECU. - http://www.ecutestin...u_misfire_.html

EXCELLENT thread from RAC.co.uk on this topic :::

Lots of detail into this very common Focus MK1 98-04 fault here:

How I think the problem occurred :::

I believe that when the speed sensor started malfunctioning I continued to drive the car, which may have caused the faulty speed sensor to damage the Ignition Coil Pack which then damaged the ECU.

How I'm going to tackle it now :::

Take out the ECU, read it's part number and send the ECU off for repair/replacement by ecutesting.com for (hopefully) £150.

Purchase new ignition coil pack for £25.

Will let you know how it goes :)

hi guys I've just purchased a 2002 mondeo 2.0 tdci and I am having trouble starting the car when you insert the the key and turn the ignition on and wait for the glow plug light to go out the car fails to even turn over it is like the immobiliser is stuck on then after a while trying the start procedure several times the car starts but runs really rough you can't hold the car at a constant speed it sounds like it is misfiring badly till you accelerate can any shed some light on this problem !!!!!

Taken from my thread on this:

I purchased a cheap throttle position sensor from ebay for £15 (genuine part normally costs £70), fitted it and didn't solve the problem, so moving on.
After some research this is what I have found with regards to the stuttering/fuel starvation/misfiring :::
ecutesting.com :::
This common fault of misfire on two cylinders or complete non start is often caused by the ignition coil pack shorting out on the vehicle - it is very important that the ignition coil pack is replaced at the same time as refitting your ECU after it has been repaired - or your faulty coil pack may damage the repaired ECU. - http://www.ecutestin...u_misfire_.html
EXCELLENT thread from RAC.co.uk on this topic :::
Lots of detail into this very common Focus MK1 98-04 fault here:
How I think the problem occurred :::
I believe that when the speed sensor started malfunctioning I continued to drive the car, which may have caused the faulty speed sensor to damage theIgnition Coil Pack which then damaged the ECU.
How I'm going to tackle it now :::
Take out the ECU, read it's part number and send the ECU off for repair/replacement by ecutesting.com for (hopefully) £150.
Purchase new ignition coil pack for £25.
Will let you know how it goes :)

Thats very interesting, but - a 2002 Mondeo TDCI (the OPs car)- is a diesel, so unfortunately it does not have, spark plugs, HT leads , or ignition coill packs

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club