Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Illumination

Fordtastic

Hi everyone.Have a small but annoying issue with my MK3's dasnboard illumination.The computer window set in the rev counter no longer illuminates,not a problem,just annoys me.Haven't looked at it yet.Does anybody know if it's an easy fix,or am I best off putting up with it?

Personally i would wait untill one of the other bulbs blow and replace them with LEDs, (most of the rest of the clocks are iluminated by 4 larger bolbs, if there are dark shadows one of them is blown) the screen is still readable if you squint at it

I'd replace it and fit with Lockwoods! ;) (Gratuitous pic alert!)

post-30295-0-19163400-1369733206_thumb.j

Seriously though, not a hard job, just prob best to replace the lot whilst your at it...from memory, there are 2 x 286 bulbs (same type of bulb as in the lighter illumination ring, one behind each LCD panel) and 4 x 503 wedge bulbs (a 3watt wedge bulb, distributed across the rest of the panel to illuminate the rev counter/speedo).

Removing the cluster is just a few screws and trim removal and it'll slide out. Some people recommend disconnecting battery in fear of airbag issues etc when disconnecting the cluster plug, I just let the car sit for about 30mins before disconnecting anything.

If you use the search bar on here, or even check my content, I've posted on this topic before with better pics and links of the screws you need to remove. From memory, and maybe FOCA can help me out, need to remove screws from the lower dash panel under the steering wheel, then the steering wheel cowling and that will expose a screw at each bottom corner of the cluster holding it in. Remove these and slide the clocks outwards, disconnect plug and you'll see the little twist-in bulb holders at the back...replace and refit!

Allow about 30mins I'd say for removal and refitting as it's your first time, but it really is straightforward. The unlit panel annoyed me so I had to change the bulb and fitted my dials at the same time, but it's down to personal preference really as my brother has put up with his for 3 years now, haha!

• Like 1

this is how to remove the clocks

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Replacement_Dials_-_How_to_fit_to_Mondeo

and this is how to change the leds, but it will give you an idea about replcing yours

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Dash_LCD_Colour_-_How_to_Change

Personally i would wait untill one of the other bulbs blow and replace them with LEDs, (most of the rest of the clocks are iluminated by 4 larger bolbs, if there are dark shadows one of them is blown) the screen is still readable if you squint at it

Cheers for the advice.Where is the best place to obtain LED's from mate?

I'd replace it and fit with Lockwoods! ;) (Gratuitous pic alert!)

attachicon.gifLockwoods.JPG

Seriously though, not a hard job, just prob best to replace the lot whilst your at it...from memory, there are 2 x 286 bulbs (same type of bulb as in the lighter illumination ring, one behind each LCD panel) and 4 x 503 wedge bulbs (a 3watt wedge bulb, distributed across the rest of the panel to illuminate the rev counter/speedo).

Removing the cluster is just a few screws and trim removal and it'll slide out. Some people recommend disconnecting battery in fear of airbag issues etc when disconnecting the cluster plug, I just let the car sit for about 30mins before disconnecting anything.

If you use the search bar on here, or even check my content, I've posted on this topic before with better pics and links of the screws you need to remove. From memory, and maybe FOCA can help me out, need to remove screws from the lower dash panel under the steering wheel, then the steering wheel cowling and that will expose a screw at each bottom corner of the cluster holding it in. Remove these and slide the clocks outwards, disconnect plug and you'll see the little twist-in bulb holders at the back...replace and refit!

Allow about 30mins I'd say for removal and refitting as it's your first time, but it really is straightforward. The unlit panel annoyed me so I had to change the bulb and fitted my dials at the same time, but it's down to personal preference really as my brother has put up with his for 3 years now, haha!

Thanks for your reply,much appreciated.Will give it a go when the weather picks up.

this is how to remove the clocks

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Replacement_Dials_-_How_to_fit_to_Mondeo

and this is how to change the leds, but it will give you an idea about replcing yours

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Dash_LCD_Colour_-_How_to_Change

Thanks for the links Steve,appreciate it.

Mine has the same issue, half the dials light up at night, if it is as easy as you say i might give it a blast myself

Mine has the same issue, half the dials light up at night, if it is as easy as you say i might give it a blast myself

Go for it mate

I get the feeling the previous owner didnt look after this car :wacko:

Fordtastic/ steesh -

these are the best (and cheapest i could find) ones for back- lighting the clocks/dash -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-T10-Car-1-Led-Light-Lamp-Bulb-194-501-W5W-Side-Indicator-License-plate-White-/370636125209?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564ba27419#ht_2186wt_879

As far as i remember, you need 4 of them, they are "diffused" so they light up the clocks/dash evenly, and are "slim" and will fit into the "hole", some of the other ones are too "fat" to fit in and ones like these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Car-T10-194-168-LED-501-W5W-Wedge-Reverse-Backup-Light-Bulbs-/161019395725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257d80fe8d

have a "lens" so are more like a "spot" than a "flood" light, and would not light up the clocks/dash evenly, but are good for sidelights

They are white lights, you can get other colours but you have to be careful or different colours can make the dash difficult to read, (eg, if you get red ones it makes the red parts very bright and the rest dark)

The LEDs should last longer than the normal (incandescent) bulbs, and use less power, (4x under 1watt = 4w compared to 4x 3W = 12w) , if you do most of the other bulbs it means a lower overall electrical load

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-Car-T10-194-168-LED-501-W5W-Wedge-Reverse-Backup-Light-Bulbs-/161019395725?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item257d80fe8d

have a "lens" so are more like a "spot" than a "flood" light, and would not light up the clocks/dash evenly, but are good for sidelights

A quick rub over with fine sand paper and they give an all round light rather than a directional one.

1 of my bulbs went last night,so got them all replaced today. easy job. cost £8 for them all from local factors.

A quick rub over with fine sand paper and they give an all round light rather than a directional one.

Tried that, and even stickers over the tips of the bulbs - never worked right/ as well as the diffused bulbs

1 of my bulbs went last night,so got them all replaced today. easy job. cost £8 for them all from local factors.

Your not seriously telling me you paid £8 to put regular (incandecsent) bulbs back in when you could have fitted LEDs? normal bulbs blacken and eventually "blow" - they get hot (this heat can effect other components, eg - the electronics in the clocks) and use a lot of power/ current, LEDs use a fraction of the power/ current, stay cool and last much longer

yep. that was for 12 bulbs in total. so only 75p each. thats the 1st bulb thats went on it.not bad for near 10 months running constantly nearly. theyre only 1.2watt so hardly a lotta power,& they dont get hot,only warm.

have you got a pic o an led type you put in?

ps i know theres not 12 in dash.got 2 new no plates,& couple spares

yep. that was for 12 bulbs in total. so only 75p each. thats the 1st bulb thats went on it.not bad for near 10 months running constantly nearly. theyre only 1.2watt so hardly a lotta power,& they dont get hot,only warm.

From memory there are 4 main bulbs to back- light the clocks, they are w5w and 3w each,(4x 3w = 12w). Thats 12watts of light and heat, and thats just 4 of the bulbs, all the bulbs on together generate a surprising amount of heat, and draw a fair bit of power the w5w's in the sidelights are 5w each the 5w sidelights get hot, the 3w dash bulbs get warm the LEDs stay cool - The diffused w5ws are in a link in post #11 above, they are single LEDs and draw under 1w each

I tried both types and found, in my case, the second ones sanded gave a better all round glow than the first, but everyone has their own preference.

Ouch 75p, :o my local factor does them for 20p :lol: He has a draw full of them

20p?? I want a factor like yours lol

Their good lads, they even come out to the car park and fit the bulbs.

My mates jag needed a bulb replacing but it was a pain to change, so the lad in the shop came out and helped fit it half an hour later in the pouring rain and it was done and he was soaked.

I did a customers track-rod ends & told him to take it to get its tracking done at local garage down the rd. He went elsewhere,& when i saw him the next time i asked if he got his tracking done. He said yes,& while he was there,he noticed he needed a reverse light bulb,so asked em to fit one. nearly fell over as he told me how much=£7.20!!!!!!

I just dont understand how a garage can take £30 for tracking,THEN have the gall to charge £7.20 to sell/fit 1 bulb worth 50p.

I know what id have told them :angry:

• 7 years later...

hi guys 

read all your comments but havent seen my problem as yet.

My bulb holders ,and there are 2 sizes have a scorched look to them and when i put new bulbs in they flickered on and off when i replaced the cluster.

My question is where can i get these holders from ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club