Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good News About My Dpf

crimeblitz1

hey guys,

Ive been reading all the doom and gloom about dpfs on here recently as ive just bought a 2010 focus and it does indeed have one and I was concerned about it. I was worried that as the last service (37500) wasn't done at a ford dealership, would the indy garage have topped up the additive fluid for the dpf? I phoned the garage that did the service and they confirmed they wouldn't have done it so I looked for the additive tank at the back to check the fluid level but couldn't find it so I went to my local stealers, worried that it had done the last 5000 miles without the required amount of additive and duffing my dpf setting me up for a large replacement bill.

When I got there they said they would check it out for me but then after some looking and computer checking I was informed that my car is a stage v emmisions car with a dv6 engine code and they are fitted with a dpf that doesn't require any additive at all, it is the older cars that have the dpf that needs the additive but ford has steered away from them. Lots of relief for me after that as I don't have to worry about the fluid costs etc. Sadly still got the replacement fee at 75000 but cant have everything I guess :)

So just thought that I would share this as im pretty happy about it and if someone else is in the same boat then take it to the stealers and they can confirm for you free of charge.

lucky. i dont think they actually replace at 75k, from what i read they take it off, power wash it to clean it...reset counters on ecu and put it back on...

Ive a 2012 Fiesta 1.4 diesel.Any advice on keeping the dpf from failing.I have heard just trundling about isnt good,but on the other hand I dont mind at driving at Mcrae type speeds,but then I won't get my 76mpg.Is an occasional blast enough(ok a 1.4diesel blast lol!)Cheers Dickiedido.

Basically once a every month or two get yourself on a dual carriageway or motorway and get it to 3k revs once engine has warmed up and keep it there for 20 mins. Ie 70mph in 4th...obviously dont break the law by speeding

I figure mine wont need the addictive either as it's a 2010. lucky for me i am doing this kind of dual carriageway driving on a regular. plus i cannot help but burning a little rubber after a full tank, it makes my inner child very happy.

• Like 1

Pit your reg number into etis mixmaster. See if it has the 2 codes i mentioned, it will be in the top info on the right

• Like 1

IIRC its the cDPF which is self managing. this was introduced around 2009/2010 on the new build cars, so its not all these motors that have them, but its a self maintaining, and I dont believe it needs to be routinely replaced as part of a service :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to jump on an old thread but I recently posted about my stage V car.

With this particular DPF being the "self maintaining" type, does this mean I dont have to have it deleted/remapped?

I'm still aware that, even though it never needs replacing, it is still a major bottleneck on my engine so i'm thinking I should still have the work done??

What would you guys do.......

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Its still an open option to have it removed, as you say it removes one more hurdle between the engine and the outside world. It really depends what you can be quoted at for removal and remap and what power gains you are quoted. If its a tiny amount, you could achieve that otherwise without removal, otherwise if its an excellent output for removal then you have no reason not to go for it... :)

Hi Mike,

Its still an open option to have it removed, as you say it removes one more hurdle between the engine and the outside world. It really depends what you can be quoted at for removal and remap and what power gains you are quoted. If its a tiny amount, you could achieve that otherwise without removal, otherwise if its an excellent output for removal then you have no reason not to go for it... :)

Hi jeebo.

Well I bought one of them bluetooth OBD code readers (as suggested by Lenny) and it brought up code P2002 - DPF working below designed threshold.

Very handy bit of kit for £8 and links to your smartphone instantly.

Glad I got it now as it has reaffirmed my belief that the DPF is playing up.

Got quoted £350 for removal (leaving just an empty shell) with remap.

For that price, you cant say no! :)

definately, especially when replacement is a lot worse. But you need to make sure the remap is proper, and get a guarnatee with it if you can (for MOT pass). Some cowboys can drill out the DPF, but the remap doesnt disable and ignore the sensor, so then the DPF light comes back up quickly afterwards.

I too have one of those dongles, and agree that the likes of Torque are excellent!

Can someone directly link me to said bluetooth code reader wonder item? Preferably to the cheapest place. Or tell me the exact make abd model so i cant possibly get it wrong :-)

Can someone directly link me to said bluetooth code reader wonder item? Preferably to the cheapest place. Or tell me the exact make abd model so i cant possibly get it wrong :-)

Just tap this item mumber into eBay pal: 180989271729

Cant go wrong for £8.99! :)

if you dont want bluetooth, have a look at my signature "Got an error? Consider a code reader" as they show different variants of the OBD reader (USB versions for example)

• Like 1

Sorry to jump on an old thread but I recently posted about my stage V car.

With this particular DPF being the "self maintaining" type, does this mean I dont have to have it deleted/remapped?

I'm still aware that, even though it never needs replacing, it is still a major bottleneck on my engine so i'm thinking I should still have the work done??

What would you guys do.......

Mike.

In terms of power gains deleting the DPF is probably only worth about 10Hp (compared to having a fully functional, and "non clogged" DPF)

The gains would be higher relative to a faulty/ clogged old DPF, and considering the cost of removing it/ cleaning it, its a good time to ditch it (when it starts to "play up")

Removing it prevents further problems in the future (like the DPF getting clogged up (again)) and you would not have to worry about it getting clogged up doing short trips etc

There may be other things in the exhaust system "holding it back" like small diameter pipes, silencers (inc. the back box that can be very restrictive) and the cat

To put it into perspective, on the MK3 Mondeo (diesels) the back- box is more restrictive than the cat

A remap (on an otherwise standard car) would give you bigger gains for less outlay

But if you are doing a remap anyway, a DPF delete (+ some other exhaust mods) will definately see an improvement, the turbo is liable to spool up quicker, anyway

With being offered a DPF delete, + remap for £350 seems a good deal (as long as they do it right - as J has said) epecially as you are starting to get fault codes - now may be a good time to get it done

• Like 1

I just had my dpf regenerated other week as I do alot of town driving but cars done 106000 miles now and the guy who hooked the computer up said these cars well my model 07 2.0 tdci, has a computer thats tells the car how many miles the dpf has done so after regen he reset that and now it's back tp normal he said thing with dpfs they need to be thrashed now and then going at least 3000 rpm in 5th on motorway for a good 10-20 mins once engine is warm to clean it out, he said he knows people with dpfs with nearly 200000 mls on the original one, I guess it depends how its looked after

Basically once a every month or two get yourself on a dual carriageway or motorway and get it to 3k revs once engine has warmed up and keep it there for 20 mins. Ie 70mph in 4th...obviously dont break the law by speeding

thats a load of bull! there is no need to 'rev the nuts' of the engine in order to clear the DPF. just drive in 5th (top gear), at 70 on a steady throttle, if you have cruise set it to 70.

just drive normally for about 30 min one way down the motorway and you'll be all good.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club