Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Manny444

I Just Replaced My Starter Motor And Now My Battery Isnt Charging ?

4 posts in this topic

I had a problem with my starter motor clicking when engaging and disengaging, i had it replaced and that fixed the starting problem. Later that day my battery warning light began to flicker but when i accellerated it went away.

I checked the voltage on my battery whith the engine running and it was only showing 12.05 volts, the following day i checked it and it was showing 11.8 volts. So the alternator is not charging the battery what so ever. Could this be down to the starter motor being slightly more powerful then the original Ford Starter Motor.

no mate, its a seperate circuit

check the battery connections and possibly the earth connection on the gearbox bell housing, they might have been disturbed when changing the starter

A good trick i use when in doubt of an earth connection is to connect a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to a clean metal part of the engine or gearbox

jeebowhite likes this

A very good suggestion there Stef!

It sounds like if anything the alternator isnt connecting properly. Is there any chance you may have rubbed and slightly loosened any of the connectors to the alternator?