Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise When Idle (With Sound)

Sam Warrenger

https://soundcloud.com/sam-warrenger/noise

Can anyone identify that noise and what might be causing it?

Fiesta 1.6 TDCI 2010 with 61k miles.

It only occurs, or is only noticeable, when the engine is idling. The car seems to be driving fine and the fuel economy hasn't dropped, but I can't seem to figure out what it is, and can't describe the sound well enough to get anything decent out of google.

Thanks

I'd doesn't sound good whatever it is. I've never heard anything like it

could be a water pump bearing when you rev it it may take up the play?

Just joined the forum to ask this question, though will try and become an active member!

not sure if I have a problem or if I'm just thinking there is a problem.

Got myself a 12 reg zetec s tdci about a month ago then over last few weeks I've noticed that's its often louder / rougher on idle and when pulling away.

I've uploaded a video so you can have a look

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD58ipyKPRk

Think it sounds normal? Or like something is wrong?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Most liking the Spark plugs, Coils or Engine Mounts. Check all out using google for instructions. Let me know how you get on :)

- Josh

Another clip of the sound, hard to hear it though unfortunately. Best bit is at around 6 seconds when i move the phone to the other side of the engine, wish I'd held the phone there longer, will try to get another one.

Last night the noise was very bad, could even hear it whilst idling at traffic lights, I stuck it in 3rd and put my foot down up to 65mph then immediately slowed down and stopped.

Didn't expect that to work but strangely the engine then sounded lovely.

This may not be relavent to your issue,

But I took my car to the garage yesterday and got the problem fixed, I was told it was a 'burst pipe' under passenger carpet. Mine was also a lot louder when idle.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a month or so using Vpower nitro+ diesel as there was a 5p off per litre deal on and the noise disappeared. Filled up with a tank of Asda diesel for the first time in a while last night as it was down to 134.7p/l and now this noise has come back.

Seems like a very big coincidence but I figure it must be a coincidence as I've no idea how using better fuel could affect something that's making a noise like that. Didn't think there was much difference anyway.

• 3 months later...

Hi Sam,

I've noticed the exact same noise on my 2005 1.4 TDCi fiesta this morning, and like you, can't desribe the sound to get anything out of Google.

Did you figure out what was causing the noise in the end or is it still happening?

Thanks. As yours hasn't blown up or anything then I'll leave mine until its next service in a few months and just mention it to them then.

On mine it's fine when you first start it, the noise doesn't kick in until after about 5-10 seconds, but as soon as you give it a tiny bit of gas it stops the noise.

Thinking about it - my last fuel top-up about a week ago (about half a tank to bring it to full) was at an ASDA (first time I've bought fuel from them as I've never lived near one with fuel before), and now the car is at half a tank of diesel... Co-incidence?

Mine makes a whirring similar in neutral.

I BELIEVE it's the clutch release bearing.

It sounds very similar to my car. :(

It means that somewhere down the line a previous owner (or yourself) has a tendency to ride the clutch a lot seeing as its such a new car.

My 2001 fiesta mkV has the same although it only has 24k on the clock.

It's a harmless problem but it is !Removed! annoying... :angry:

just up your stereo and you'll be golden :)

Hi sounds think water pump as in the 2nd post not sure a Clutch Release Bearing will be the fault as it should only make a sound when you engage or disengage the clutch ?Did you have your service done at ford ?if not take it in let them have a look, if it was to break it may cost more in the long run.This is what I would do but it's your car and is up to you.Not sure on this engine but if the timing belt drives the water pump and it did lock up it will break the belt bad news.THIS ONLY MY OPINION AND NOT FACT.

Mine has 125k on the clock and had a complete new clutch assembly about 2500 miles ago, so hopefully it's not that.

The water pump does sound plausable - when I got the car the previous owner (woman!) had been running it with a slow coolant leak (split pipe at the back of the engine) which I had fixed, so if she'd been running it with low coolant that could have screwed the water pump. I'll get the garage to check it out, although it did all check out ok when they tested it all after fixing.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I know this post is 3 years old but what was the problem in the end? I have the exact same noise/problem with my 1.6 tdci, it has been doin it for a few months now, it's got over 93,000 on the clock and have ignored it until someone pointed out yesterday the engine shouldn't sound like that. Having someone look at it on Friday but I'm worried about driving it around incase it's something major 😕

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Linzy,

My Fiesta 1,4 tdci from 2011 had the same problem. The noise is coming from the toothbelt (tiny vibrations from the belt made the sound). I had it changed two times. First time they only changed the belt and the noise continued. Second time the belt was changed again together with tooth belt tensioner. It solved the problem.

There was no wear and tear to see on the belt and but the mechanic could see and hear that it should not sound like that. But there was no safety concerns. It is more or less "audio" issue for the driver

Best regards,

Mark   

• 2 weeks later...

Ok thanks for the advise mark, I will have that looked into.

linzy

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is very old but I have had my 2005 fiesta for a year now with this very same problem. It comes on about 10 seconds after starting, is worse when the engine is cold and is independent of revs except it seems to go above 1500 rpm. Well I deduced that it must be an electric motor or similar as if it was something caused by the engine turning over it would start with the engine, not 10 seconds after. Having just changed the timing belt, water pump, fuel filter and aux belt with no difference I thought some tracking down was required. Well for me it turned out to be the turbo boost solenoid. This is mounted on a bracket in the top right hand corner of the engine bay, right next to the windscreen wash filler cap.  Mine had actually come lose from it's little rubber mounts on the bracket and was buzzing away in contact with the battery box and wash bottle neck. Even when re-fixed it still touched the filler bottle neck. To resolve this I removed the bracket, unscrewed the rubber mounts, cut about a cm off each lug on the bracket, screwed the rubber mounts back in and refitted the solenoid. It now has good clearance all round and I have no hum.  I hope this helps someone else and may not be the source of your hum but it's worth checking. 

• Like 1

So this is the issue think I'm getting with my 2013 ecoboost. I can also feel like a ticking through the pedals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club