Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Performance Upgrades

jnorman46

Hi all! I've had my Fiesta a few month now and I am wanting to add some power to it. Does anyone have any guidance or recommendation on where to start and what's best value for money?

All feedback is much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The sky is the limit when it comes to Modifications! it just depends how much you want to spend.

A good place to start is the inlet (like a performance panel filter etc) and exhaust, and perhaps a remap

Cheers man!

I looked in to remapping but it seems a waste of money for only gaining bhp or so.

Remapping isn't so bad if you have parts worth remapping, so whilst you only gain a few bhp on stock, when you have some decent mods plonked into the engine, those few extra bhp turn into 15 or so, and make everything run much sweeter.

Best thing to look at is the Mountune 155 package, that's about your max for a 1.6 NA engine, after that you need a turbo/supercharger on it to take you up further.

One thing that's always forgotten though, are brakes and tyres (suspension is usually done to make it look better), if you're going at it, better rubber and brakes will take seconds off lap times.

As david said, remapping is a good idea, if done correctly. Its best to do the mods you want before the remap, that way it takes all the new parts into consideration to give you better power and consumption.

If you do the remap first then mods after you will basically optimise the car with the remap then undo the optimisation with mods.

Unfortunately i have a diesel so, in my case, its larger intercooler, decat pipe, egr blank, and stuff like that. With diesels the air intake mods dont really make a difference as the turbo warms up the air anyway, its better to do air flow mods after the turbo.

If i recall, petrols used to be, change air intake. performance plugs and leads. carb change. possibly a better flow exhaust, althought this may not work as well iftheres a decat and dpf still in the system. lowered springs. uprated suspension, blah blah blah. Bare in mind i havent had a petrol for about 12-13 years, so my suggestions could be outdated :lol:

Cheers for the info! :)

I was looking at possibly getting a Milltek exhaust fitted. If I was to get the mountune 155 package would you recommend a remap when that is sorted or would there not be much point? Would I be best fitting coilovers or just lowering springs for ride comfortability? I don't want it to be slammed like.

Here is a link to Mountune -

http://www.mountune.com/index.php/services/performance-upgrades/fiesta/fiesta-b299

at £1395 (excluding fitting) its not cheap, and thats for the MP140, you get a complete, upgraded exhaust system etc, and it is warrantied/ endorsed by Ford

An NA will almost always be more expensive/ produce less power gain than a turbo, A turbo engine can often produce impressive power gains from a remap alone

here is an alternative -

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Fiesta-Zetec-S-Ti-Vct-Power-Upgrade-ZS141_792.jsp

The Pipercross offers a 6Hp gain alone

To answer your question the Mountune 155 kit already includes a remap

I would recommend fitting quality tyres, and keep the stock brakes, etc well maintained, the mk7 Fiesta has exellent handling/ brakes and the tyres are already quite wide etc, and should cope fine with an extra 15-30Hp you would get out of the NA engine in my opinion, if you intend to fit serious power then upgrading brakes etc would be sensible, especially if the car had any weaknesses in that area, its just a question of balance, there always seems to be a cry for "more power" but its just one aspect of the cars overall performance, and safety comes into it too, - you obviously don't want a car with massive power but with rubbish brakes/ handling

Let us know what you decide and tell us how you get on/ feedback on any mods you do :)

I think I'd rather go down the mountune route so I have the warranty with Ford still. I've tried looking for the prices for the MR155 pack but can't see it anywhere. Going to phone up and see how much it'd be including fitting and hopefully get it done in the next month or so.

I will definitely look in to new tyres and brakes as well if I'm adding power, like you said the safety sides comes in to it and it would be stupid not to look in to it really.

I will upload pictures to this thread when I start the upgrades.

Thanks for your help mate! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Joss,

Welcome to the forum :) If you're looking for some performance modification, one thing that's always good to start with is to consider the suspension. There are many advantages to doing that ,some of which include improved traction and handling (one of the main advantages people always go for) and it also makes it stiffer, which for some people gives greater comfort. The best way to figure out if this modification is for you, would be to have a drive in a car with a lowered suspension and see for yourself :)

There are many different ways in approaching suspension modification, most common are lower spring replacement, which seems to be the cheapest option. There is also the fitment of the coilovers and my personal favourite, Air suspension :P Air suspension is great for shows and visual tuning but not the cheapest option :)

As others have said above me, engine re-mapping is one of the major performance modifications that is great if you're looking for additional bhp. It's expensive enough, but it will definitely be one of the first step if you want to properly modify the performance of your car :D

Other things that you can do are endless, such as exhaust replacement, adding an induction kit, wheel replacement, break pad replacement etc...

:D Hope this helps ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club