Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n Panel Filter

The Dark Knight

I can report that it seems more eager at low revs but not noticed anything higher up the rev range. Seems to be a touch more throaty and one thing it's doing that it wasn't before is making that hissing sound when lifting off to change gear when accelerating briskly. Is wastegate or dump valve the word I'm looking for? It's nowhere near that loud but audible with window down

What is likely to be happening is the K&N is less restrictive than the stock filter, so you get a bit more gas (air) flow at low revs, before the turbo spools up, this has a knock-on effect on the turbine, as more energy gets to it, quicker, so the turbo spools up quicker

At higher revs/ boost, the CPU controls the boost pressure level (from the MAF) untill it was the same as before, so thats why you are not noticing any more top end, but the turbo will not have to work quite so hard (more efficient/ possibly slightly better MPG) and you may not be heating the air quite so much slightly (going into the intercooler)

In other words the CPU is compensating for the extra flow by backing off the turbo, so the top end is the same as before, a remap may be able to take advantage of the extra (air) flow

The noise is probably a recirculating dump valve ("dumps" back into the system instead of into the atmosphere when you lift off/ change gear) - the K&N is probably making it louder/ more noticable

It would be nice to see some before/ after performance times/ dyno figures

hi just found k&n filter on line 33-2955 they have them listed Diesel 2008/2011 £39 but 33-2955 petrol mk6 2007/2009 1.25cc is only £26 but they must be the same? they have lots of them different price but all ford fiesta but all 33-2955 WILL £26 one be ok for a Diesel?

As long as it phisically fits it should be ok

I fitted a K&N pannel filter within the 1st week of having my ecoboost fiesta and noticed no difference at all. no noise no power and no changes to the turbo. i have only installed it as a supporting mod to go with a custom cat-back and a remap in the near future :) although i must say i also like the fact it has a million miles guarantee. worth £28 i paid on eBay inc postage.... also just incase any one is wondering it the exact same spec filter as the mk7 08-onwards 1.6, 1.4 and 1.25 petrol filter.

From using panel filters in the past I have usually seen 1 to 2 mpg Improvment so it sully pays for itself in the (very) long run.

Is there any point getting this on a Mk6.5 1.25 Zetec? Will it make any difference if there is no turbo?

what if I get the air filter like this too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipercross-Air-Filter-Ford-Fiesta-Mk6-1-25-2002-PP1487-/260637892546?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf3a9fc2

Is there any point getting this on a Mk6.5 1.25 Zetec? Will it make any difference if there is no turbo?

what if I get the air filter like this too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipercross-Air-Filter-Ford-Fiesta-Mk6-1-25-2002-PP1487-/260637892546?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3caf3a9fc2

An NA has to breath too (in fact probably more important than a turbo car, you have to rely on (realatively weak) atmospheric pressure), if the pipercross flows more air than the stock filter, the ECU should inject more petrol, so you get (slightly) better performance, and everything else being equal, you could get slightly better economy (due to having to use less throttle)

As ever if you are replacing an old, clogged stock filter with a new "performance" one, its liable to feel quicker and costs 3 or 4 times what a paper filter costs (so you could change your filter 3 or 4 times for the cost of a "performance" one)

the 1.25 shares the same airbox/ filter as the 1.4 and 1.6 so if its good enough for them.....

Some "performance" filters don't filter well (let tiny dust particles through) untill they have been used for a while, and perform well when they are dirty, wheras stock paper type filters filter well, even when new, but restrict more when they are old/ dirty (in comparison to "performance" filters)

I use cheap pattern papers filter (from ebay) in my Mondeo, they cost about £10, or less, i change them every 6 months or so, i run a TDDI 115 , that has been tested at 162PS/ 368NM, the stock airbox has been gas-flowed and de lugged, and a large diameter air feed added, every mk3 mondeo uses the same filter (including the ST220 so the st220 makes 220ps through the same, stock filter ) on my Mondeo a "performance" filter actually makes no difference at all, even removing the filter element completely does not increase power, that is because there are other parts of the induction system that "holds it back"

Yours is a different engine, but changing the filter alone is unlikely to make a lot of difference, to actually make your engine/ car quicker, takes a lot of research/ time/ work and probably money, like quality performance exhausts, remaps, larger throttle bodies etc etc

On a positive note the "performance" filters have been found to last longer than paper ones, and are unlikely to do any harm (unless the oil in an "oiled" K&N contaminates the MAF, of course)

Thanks for the reply, tbh I'm not looking for power gains (it would be a bonus), if I can get a nicer sound then I'd be happy with that.

but im not prepared to do anything with the exhaust or anything like that, its my first car so I don't want to be spending much on it.

Thanks for the reply, tbh I'm not looking for power gains (it would be a bonus), if I can get a nicer sound then I'd be happy with that.

but im not prepared to do anything with the exhaust or anything like that, its my first car so I don't want to be spending much on it.

No worries - i dont know which is the loudest (K&N or Pipercross) but the panel filter may increase the induction sound a bit, but not as much as a cone filter or drilling the bottom of the airbox

I may just get the K&N, Not sure if id drill it though, dont want to give insurance silly excuses for not paying out.

• 2 years later...

I read somewhere that the oil from these filters can get into the intake and damage sensors. Is this true?

I read somewhere that the oil from these filters can get into the intake and damage sensors. Is this true?

I've read that too but I don't know if there's any evidence of it. I've had my K&N filter as part of the Mountune upgrade for a year now and no issues so far.

I've read that too but I don't know if there's any evidence of it. I've had my K&N filter as part of the Mountune upgrade for a year now and no issues so far.

Ah ok then. Does it make a big difference to throttle response because that's all I'm after really

I've got one of these K&N filters in my airBox, can't say I notice the difference... as I already had a Stage 1 ECU remap + custom twinpipe SS exhaust system, prior to popping to K&N filter in. However the engine does roar like a beast!

After having all that (above) done, I popped 1 of these in (below)

How many others are drilled some holes in the lower part of the airBox? This is something I might do, but some feedback from others would be great.

Ah ok then. Does it make a big difference to throttle response because that's all I'm after really

It's hard for me to say what the filter does by itself, because the Mountune upgrade included a different airbox and a remap. But mostly a high-flow filter will just give your more intake noise. I assume they make more of a difference when they are used to complement more upgrades, so the engine can actually make use of the extra air it can breathe in.

I think I'll just get one and see what happens. Cheers guys

• 2 years later...

Hi just thort i would share my experience. I fitted a  k&n panel filter £45 online to my fiesta 1.6 tdci 90 and it made it sound a little louder but the main issue was it bought up the engine maintenance light and put it into limp mode. i know in theory it should not effect it but it did! so i fitted a standard air filter £8 engine instantly went back to full power no lights. my engine prefers redistricted air and feels faster with the standard filter i honestly would not bother buying one for this model fiesta 1.6 tdci 90 . hope this helps some one peace.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club