Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy Economical Fiesta - Advice Please :)

garywc

since owning my new car of 3 months Im really unhappy with the fuel economy (own a vaux insignia 2.0cdti 160bhp, quick but thirsty)

anyways enough of current car..

Ive seen they do a 1.6 cdti fiesta econetic 90bhp and 95bhp.... 90 being slightly slower + less mpg

I know there not fast cars but want to know which would suit me best. i do mainly short journeys which consist of A roads and town driving, not many long journeys.....

and also what spec is the following under when buying a car:

wanting it to include:

bluetooth

cruise control (if poss)

AUX + MP3

auto lights + wipers

folding wing mirrors

not sure what other spec comes in these, anyone shed more light on specs etc??

All of that is on a Titanium, so that's your best bet really.

Some Zetec S's come with the auto wipers and folding mirrors as an optional extra, and I think the Zetec's can have the mirrors (unsure on the auto bits).

I'm fetching 72mpg average over the last 1200 miles in my 1.6 TDCi Zetec S facelift. My prefacelift fetched low 60's.

I'm quite happy with the economy that I'm getting.

Got a 12 reg zetec s tdci and over tankfulls have been getting 60-65 mpg without really trying

Not bad results guys and thanks will look for titanium versions. Are these the econetics or just simply the zetec s diesels?

Mine is just the zetec s diesel.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the econetics didn't live up to the claimed mpg, more than the usual gap between quoted mpg and real life driving

All of that is on a Titanium, so that's your best bet really.

Some Zetec S's come with the auto wipers and folding mirrors as an optional extra, and I think the Zetec's can have the mirrors (unsure on the auto bits).

I'm fetching 72mpg average over the last 1200 miles in my 1.6 TDCi Zetec S facelift. My prefacelift fetched low 60's.

72MPG! Were you driving at 55MPH downhill?

On my pre facelift 1.6 TDCi Im getting 54MPG average. This is with 80 miles of motorway commute a day.

I did get 73MPG average by driving 55MPH on a flat stretch of motorway.

I know there not fast cars but want to know which would suit me best. i do mainly short journeys which consist of A roads and town driving, not many long journeys.....

A diesel isn't for you. The engine will never get warm, you'll struggle to get above 50mpg and if you're buying newer than a 10 plate it'll have a DPF which will clog up and be costly to replace. A diesel is a false economy if you only do short town journeys. Don't be tempted by the high mpg thinking it will save you money.

A diesel isn't for you. The engine will never get warm, you'll struggle to get above 50mpg and if you're buying newer than a 10 plate it'll have a DPF which will clog up and be costly to replace. A diesel is a false economy if you only do short town journeys. Don't be tempted by the high mpg thinking it will save you money.

I have previously had a 1.5dci clio which used to get me 55-65mpg no problem on the journeys i do, i do journeys that consist of 65-75mph as im 2 mins away from the motorway and dual carraigeway.

what petrol car would be efficient enough for me do you recon??

I have previously had a 1.5dci clio which used to get me 55-65mpg no problem on the journeys i do, i do journeys that consist of 65-75mph as im 2 mins away from the motorway and dual carraigeway.

what petrol car would be efficient enough for me do you recon??

How many miles a year do you do?

around 5-6k

about 1k is 3 long runs a year (320mile per trip x3)

around 5-6k

about 1k is 3 long runs a year (320mile per trip x3)

Let's say a petrol acheiving 40mpg at 135p/litre costs 15p a mile. A diesel doing 55mpg at 140p/litre is 12p a mile.

If the diesel car is £1,000 more to buy it would take you 33,333 miles or 5.5 years to recoup the difference.

You need a petrol :p

Haha well true. I've test drove the 1.4tdi zetec and 1.6tdi zetec s and there is so much power difference yet the sales person said there isn't much different at all.

Haha well true. I've test drove the 1.4tdi zetec and 1.6tdi zetec s and there is so much power difference yet the sales person said there isn't much different at all.

23BHP more on 1.6TDCi but more importantly 52NM (34 lb-ft) extra. I've driven both & 1.6TDCi definitely better.

Let's say a petrol acheiving 40mpg at 135p/litre costs 15p a mile. A diesel doing 55mpg at 140p/litre is 12p a mile.

If the diesel car is £1,000 more to buy it would take you 33,333 miles or 5.5 years to recoup the difference.

You need a petrol :P

I fully agree with above. I've changed my 2011 Fiesta Titanium 1.6TDCi for a new Titanium X 1.6TDCi. The average MPG over my 80 mile commute in the old Fiesta (sitting at 58MPH on the cruise control) would only get 61 maybe 63MPG. On the new version I am getting very nearly into the 80's which is much better than before. However, as with any diesel, the consumption around town is no better than an equivalent petrol model, and I lived in Guernsey with the old Fiesta and had to have the DPF replaced as I used to do about 4K a year, short journeys and the engine never got warm. That, including parts, labour and recovery cost just under £1,000. So, again, if you're doing such little mileage, test drive a 1.0 EcoBoost and go down the petrol Titanium route (or the old 1.4i). I only got another diesel as now I am over in the UK my annual mileage has shot up to about 25k a year

I understand where you come from but for the MPG I would get out of the petrol would be about 40-50ish MPG with 125 a year tax then out of a diesel I guess would be around 60mpg and practically free road tax

Wouldn't it make sence to plod along with a diesel rather than petrol

72MPG! Were you driving at 55MPH downhill?

On my pre facelift 1.6 TDCi Im getting 54MPG average. This is with 80 miles of motorway commute a day.

I did get 73MPG average by driving 55MPH on a flat stretch of motorway.

That's only an average too :P I had it up in the 80's at one point, but that dropped when heading in to town and was largely downhill.

It's all about being very careful with the throttle.

I understand where you come from but for the MPG I would get out of the petrol would be about 40-50ish MPG with 125 a year tax then out of a diesel I guess would be around 60mpg and practically free road tax

Wouldn't it make sence to plod along with a diesel rather than petrol

Are you looking at new or used?

If you're only doing 5 - 6k a year, it's really not worth getting the diesel if new that's for sure. If used, are you doing longer runs on motorways or dual carriageways? You want to be keeping constant speed, not stop-start ever 5 minutes.

From what you've said the petrol would be better either way though.

Get yourself a deal on a new Ecoboost. It is the answer to all your problems.

I have it in 125ps guise in Zetec-S spec but it comes in 99ps too. You could get a deal on a titanium model too. Trust me on this, it is plenty quick enough, surprisingly so with 9.5 0-60 on mine and 122mph were legal lol and yet I have seen 50's MPG but less if I floor it lol!

It is a 1.0 lite engine but with a turbo and blimey it's nippy to say its designed with economy in mind rather than being a sports beast like the ST.

The key thing is that it is still running in and will get more economical. £55 for a full tank of petrol that is currently covering 370 miles approx and as if all that isn't enough, it's FREE, yes FREE road tax!

Ford are geniuses for developing this engine and deserve the awards they are getting for it.

What MPG you getting for 370 Mile's from £55 that's like 44ish I believe

It varies between low to mid 40's (I don't drive economically) but when I have taken it steady it's well into the 50's. Bear in mind it only has 1200 miles on it and will just get better and better with time. Did I mention FREE road tax lol!

I promise you that if you drove one, you would be seriously impressed. I see you are in Derbyshire, I can put you in touch with Jim Cronin at TCH Derby if you want. Did me a good deal.

Please do. Looked at prices and there a bit out of my range tbh. Looking at MPG figures it seems the 100 and 125 should get the same MPG figures is this correct

The 100 would be adequate for your needs and I drove one and its just as quick in the real world. The 125 is quicker but you need to boot it to feel the difference.

Personally, I think you could do what I did. I had a 3 year GMFV deal deferred for 3 months so not paid anything yet! Smooth process sorting the deal out. Check out the Zetec or Zetec-S out with optional extras you need.

Also, I changed from a land rover to save money and sacrificed shed loads of toys like cruise control. I thought I'd miss them but truth be told I like the less is more approach. Sacrifice a few bits here and there and you would be so happy with the ecoboost.

Send me a private message with your full name, mobile and email and I will email Jim and copy you into the email

My 135PS diesel Fiesta is also nippy... and standard... :P

I got bored and had parts in the garage :(

Is that 1.6 also?and what parts in garage lol

Had a tuning box that was tweaked, had a play with the intake (added K&N filter, removed some of the plastic from inside the airbox), new induction piping, an a new intercooler that works a lot better than the standard one.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club