Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Name: dominic
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2013

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

I have updated the OP. Found another company similar to race chips that do a chip for both engine versions. i have no other info but here is the link for you to check out.

http://www.tuningkit...iesta/index.php

#48 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 268 Sleeper
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

http://blip.tv/drive...-racing-3089995

here you go :)

The race between the cars is inconclusive and biased towards the people with the camera, the red ST pulls away from the mountune (camera car) one, untill the red one misses a gear, straight after that the video is finished (so you don't see what happens after that/ see if the red ST catches the mountune/ camera car up or overtakes it again)  

Even in a straight line the driver skill comes into it, getting the revs spot on (not revving too high or too low), timing the changes perfectly (not too slowly, so time is wasted, and not trying to change too quickly, so you "miss" a gear ) 

So if you have a skilled driver in a 250Hp car and a novice or "less skilled" :)  driver in a 300Hp car my money would be on the skilled driver /250Hp car

The point is - the video does not prove the Mountune tuned car is quicker    

#49 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have updated the OP. Found another company similar to race chips that do a chip for both engine versions. i have no other info but here is the link for you to check out.

http://www.tuningkit...iesta/index.php

Hi, I think they are best avoided because of this statement "Tuningkit works completely digitally with the most modern hardware and up-to-date software" Whatever that means it'll never be as good as remap. Plus they talk a load of tosh about reprograming a remap when it can simply be performed with a handheld device by any amateur...

#50 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi, I think they are best avoided because of this statement "Tuningkit works completely digitally with the most modern hardware and up-to-date software" Whatever that means it'll never be as good as remap. Plus they talk a load of tosh about reprograming a remap when it can simply be performed with a handheld device by any amateur...

Much of the speil is "dumbed down" (like most of these things are), and i think its translated from another language  ((probably German) eg "tuningkit constantly polls the driving mode youn are in") Most remaps you do have to phisically take the car to the remapper, its just Bluefins or similar products that are user- loadable

In some ways a (top end) tuning box is better than a remap - ive used both, and know the advantages/ disadvantages of each, so i have very little bias (towards one or the other)

Generally, a tuning box produces more bottom end torque than a remap,

If you put your car in to be serviced, a tuning box can be easily removed, and on most cars, is untraceable, and cannot be deleted,

Tuning boxes hold their value/ can be resold -  yes-  a bluefin can also be removed for servicing etc, but, after a year, a bluefin is effectively assigned to the car it was on, and cannot be transferred (without paying a big fee) so if you sell the car, the bluefin stays on it, removed it is basically worthless, wheras a tuning box is still valuable/ holds its value, a regular remap, obviously stays with the car, so cannot be resold (is worth zero)

Ive read a lot of ant--tuning box propaganda on forums over the years, like -

"its just a resistor that fools the ECU" (thats just the cheapo ones, the top ones have microproccesors, multi channels, different programmable maps etc)

"Tuning boxes cankill your injectors" (i ran one jor years - turned right up for max power- i still have my original 11-year old injectors - in good condition  )

mostly the critics are from those that have not used them, or base there opinions on cheapo ebay "resistors that fool the ECU" boxes

A lot of motorists have fitted tuning boxes - with good results          

#51 domo85

domo85

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Name: dominic
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Its always good to have a choice and some competition out there either if you use a tuning box or a remap such as bluefin. just need superchips to hurry up and get a blue fin ready for me to buy :)

#52 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi, why are these tuning boxes then engine specific, but, you state, they can be resold? Like any remap they can only be used on the cars and engines they are programmed to be used on, if they are generic they will have many problems. I am also not sure that it would be a "a big fee" at transferring a bluefin , do you know the actual cost?

Then you state that a tuning box will "produce more bottom end torque than a remap". Again, do you have actual proof of this? Do you understand that, if you take you car to have it properly remapped, and some companies charge little more than that cheap looking box for this, what a remap with a rolling road can do?

That company also quite clearly distinguishes between tuning using OBD, as they state "We read and manipulate the manufacturer’s original software. After manipulation, the tuning software is programmed on the ECU.". Then say tuning with a tuningkit, "Tuningkit is simply inserted between the ECU and the engine. This optimises engine management through our chip tuning module." I think they sum it up with the word simply. If you want to trust your car to a piece of equipment from a dubious background that probably hasn't been tested thoroughly and extensively, then its your car to break. Personally I wouldn't let anything like anywhere near my £24k vehicle and trust in the professionals. At least with superchips I also have a warranty provided by them...

#53 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi, why are these tuning boxes then engine specific, but, you state, they can be resold? Like any remap they can only be used on the cars and engines they are programmed to be used on, 

FOCA - I bought a DT-UK (expensive/ high end ) tuning  box,  for my Mondeo TDDI - it was VERY specific as it plugs into the vp44 rotary diesel pump/ has special plugs & sockets,  and will not work on a common rail, or fit other cars (exept for a few TDDI/ DI Fords that use the vp44 pump, transit etc/ - same tuning box but with different settings).the Mondeo Mk 3 TDDI was only made for 2 years (2000 - 2002) the tuning box cost £400 new (now about £330) and sold for £200 secondhand - thats £200 more than a remap is worth!    

I am also not sure that it would be a "a big fee" at transferring a bluefin , do you know the actual cost?

FOCA - Yes, i know the exact cost (that i paid for my Bluefin to get it reset), if a new Bluefin is purchased, it can be transfered to many other vehicles, free of charge, upto 12 months, after that, there is "a big fee" for transferring to another vehicle, the exact cost depends on the original purchase cost, and if the map is still on the original car or has been transferred back to the Bluefin handset, Bluefin was running a 20% discount and turbo cars/ NA cars have a big difference in cost (for the Bluefin handset with map)   

Then you state that a tuning box will "produce more bottom end torque than a remap". Again, do you have actual proof of this? Do you understand that, if you take you car to have it properly remapped, and some companies charge little more than that cheap looking box for this, what a remap with a rolling road can do?

FOCA - yes, i have evidence of the extra bottom end the tuning box provides (compared to a Bluefin remap - its n my build thread) I had to get Superchips to modify the map twice (custom map) to come close to the bottom end the tuning box produced - independent from that, roveron did tests comparing their tuning box to a Bluefin remap on a Jaguar 2.2 (same as a MK3 Mondeo ST-TDCI 2.2) The tuning box was measured with more bottom end power (many cars are produced with restricted bottom end power to protect the trans/ DMF - the bluefin mat often "folloiws" this )  - a cheap remap can be a liability / can ruin your car, a remap from a top tuner with a before/ after rolling road can cost £500, once its on the car, it cannot be transferred or sold seperately = worth zero , if your cars ECU was updated, the performance map could be deleted 

That company also quite clearly distinguishes between tuning using OBD, as they state "We read and manipulate the manufacturer’s original software. After manipulation, the tuning software is programmed on the ECU.". Then say tuning with a tuningkit, "Tuningkit is simply inserted between the ECU and the engine. This optimises engine management through our chip tuning module." I think they sum it up with the word simply. If you want to trust your car to a piece of equipment from a dubious background that probably hasn't been tested thoroughly and extensively, then its your car to break. Personally I wouldn't let anything like anywhere near my £24k vehicle and trust in the professionals. At least with superchips I also have a warranty provided by them...

FOCA - Brabbus produces tuning boxes for £100+k Mercs  / the tuning box can be taken off in 2 minites (what tuning box? :lol:  ) tuning / tuning boxes is a million pound industry - the big players are just as professional as Superchips, though ive found DTUK customer service was rubbish, compared to Superchips,(who were very helpful ) Though Superchips charge far too much for resetting their old bluefin's IMO, If they charged less, there would be a much healthier trade in secondhand Bluefins

FOCA - Is my signature visible to you - a link to my build thread is at the end of it   

#54 MarcoZetec13

MarcoZetec13

MarcoST2

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2014

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Im been in touch with racechips on their tuning chips that they have introduced for the ecoboost 100ps and 125ps and have informed me they have tested them and theyre getting decent results. So its a consideration if you cant afford a re-map.

http://www.racechip....boost/index.php

:)

#55 Adriano

Adriano

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Name: Adrian
  • Ford Model: Ecoboost MK 7,5

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

In Holland ive been mailing with a tuner with the best results. And you keep your ford warranty. it goes from 100 hp to 140 hp and from 170nm to 226nm.. 

http://www.rica.nl/c....php#chiptuning

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fiesta, ecoboost, ford 1.0

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users