Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Light Coming On

Rolypoly

Hi,

Im looking for some help as 3 garages (one of them being ford) have been unable to say what is wrong with my car.

The problem started nearly a year ago, with the battery light coming on and off. I was advised by ford and a local garage to keep driving it as they wernt sure what was wrong.

Now the battery light comes on after about 10 mins, stays on for about 10 mins, or longer, then goes off, then on again and off and so on. But the amount of time the light is on is increasing.

I think it happens more when it is warm, this makes me wonder if its when the fan kicks in, and the alternater isnt charging enough to power everything? Although i would say having the headlights etc on makes no difference.

The car starts and runs fine, not had any running problems.

Garage number 3 looked last week and also dont know, possibly alternator, but wont say for sure. I have a couple of long journeys coming up and am getting worried about this now. The car is a focus, tdi diesel 1.6.

Thank you for any help you can offer :rolleyes:

Doesn't sound like the garages have investigated much...

I'd be looking at battery, alternator and earth points first. Then if all good, looking at high drain things... Like heated screens etc, to see if anything is shorted anywhere. Also check the wiring looms for damage etc. If all is still good, get a data logger on it and run it for a few journeys to get real time data.

battery and earth points have been checked. Alternator is the one thing all garages have said it might be, but no one can say for sure.

I havnt used the headlights or heated windscreen for some time now and the light is on more than ever.

How would i go about getting a data logger on it?

you would need an OBDII connector and connect it to your phone or laptop, and track the data that way...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club