3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave192

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2000

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I have a x plate 1.8 zetec focus and it has been standing still for a mouth due to personal reasons and went to start it yesterday and I had to jump start it off the wife's car and got the engine running.

Gone to start it today and the car is dead. When i turned the key I had a ping noise and there is a click when the key is turned (this click was not present yesterday).

I am not mechanical in anyway and would like some advice. I thinking the battery needs replacing, but I also am aware it could be the alternator that could be causing the problem anybody got any thought on this.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3
  • Year: 2014

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi Dave because its been lying for a while unused its discharged. Id recommend jump starting it again and then going for a decent 30-40 minUte run in it to allow the alternator to give the battery a decent charge and this should solve your problem. Either that or you can get a battery charger to charge the battery in your house

#3 jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 22,317 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I suspect that its most likely a flat battery. Have you had the opportunity to try and jump start it again?

#4 hubby1959

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK 2
  • Year: 1999

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I came to the same conclusion, but would like to add that once you get it started put a multimeter across the battery terminals, it should come back with a reading of around 14 volts once the battery has charged, if it doesn't it's most likely an alternator fault on top of a flat battery

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users