Photo
- - - - -

Ford Can't Fix My New Fiesta! - Advice Please ?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 fasty

fasty

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I collected my new Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125 from a local main dealer on 14th March, but soon noticed that the Deflation Detection System (which I had ordered at extra cost) didn't appear in the vehicle menu.

Now you'd think that, being done in software, that would be easy to fix.

Not so.

The dealer had the car for THREE DAYS and declared that they couldn't fix it. The matter had to be escalated to Ford Technical department. Apparently Ford didn't have an answer, the problem had to be escalated to their design department.

Nearly THREE MONTHS later, still no update from the dealer or Ford.

If I call the Ford Customer Relationship centre, all they seem capable of doing is putting me on hold while they call the dealer to ask if there is any progress. It's an insane waste of time, literally going round in circles. If the dealer knew, I suspect that they would call me direct.

Is there any way of getting information out of Ford other than them referring you back to the dealer network?

I'm a qualified engineer, so I appreciate that problems can take time to fix, but it seem impossible to get any information about whether the problem is actually being addressed or just quietly forgotten about.

This issue raises another interesting question. If the Deflation Detection System is, as the dealer first claimed, fitted but does not work, then (at least in theory) the car cannot pass the latest MOT tests which require that such systems (if fitted) must work. Not MOT-able > Not roadworthy!

Is there anything I can do short of legal action?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SgtHobNob

SgtHobNob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium X 125 5dr
  • Year: 2013

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Oh dear, doesn't sound like your having a good time with it, I've ordered the tyre deflation detection system on mine, got me worried now! I'm not sure what you can do legally but I hope you have some luck and get it sorted soon, keep us posted

#3 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I wonder if there is a problem with all Fiesta deflation detection systems?

#4 hubby1959

hubby1959

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK 2
  • Year: 1999

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Get in touch with the finance company, (Assuming you used one), and let them know the problems you are having, after all it's their car until you've paid for it.

Ask them, no tell them you want them to exert their immense pressure on the dealer/ford's to get this rectified, and threaten to withhold payment until it's fixed, then you will bring the payments up to date

Notice: I said withhold, and not refuse to pay, if you refuse to pay they can repo it, withholding payment until fixed, then bringing the payments up to date, they cannot repo it, and it's best done in writing and sent recorded, with a copy for your own files.

It's a little know legal way of getting a bigger company to fight on your behalf.

Oh and while your in the mood for writing letters, fire one of to ford customer services letting them know that you will invoice them for any out of pocket expenses.

#5 fasty

fasty

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I don't think that it affects all Deflation Detection Systems (DDS), but I was told that "I was not the only person affected".

The dealer apparently tried to reprogram the system but apparently were unable to do so.

I imagine that if pushed hard enough, they could resolve the problem by replacing the affected ECU / computer in its entirety.

It's the utter inability to communicate to the customer that astounds me. I would be sacked if I responded like that in my job.

#6 Yokomoko

Yokomoko

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Name: adam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

I can see a Toyota/Nissan style recall coming up in the news shortly then! Although it isn't a critical issue like what have happened to those other companies so who knows?

#7 fasty

fasty

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

The car is part financed and the finance company have been informed early on.

It's on a cash plan so interest has been paid upfront and nothing else is paid for 2 years.

To summarise, they are not being very helpful.

#8 samjprobinson

samjprobinson

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Sam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium X 1.6TDCi

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Have you tried checking ETIS to see if your car even left the factory with it installed? http://www.etis.ford...A0FCCC.fcvas507

Try inserting your Reg Number and see what comes up. My old Fiesta was specified when I bought it as having the Sony DAB however when I got it, I couldn't find any reference to DAB in the radio menu. Checked this and found it didn't even have it listed on the build sheet! The Sale of Goods Act was mentioned to the Ford Dealer and a large gesture of goodwill was sent my direction to "keep me quiet"!

#9 fasty

fasty

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Have you tried checking ETIS to see if your car even left the factory with it installed? http://www.etis.ford...A0FCCC.fcvas507

Try inserting your Reg Number and see what comes up. My old Fiesta was specified when I bought it as having the Sony DAB however when I got it, I couldn't find any reference to DAB in the radio menu. Checked this and found it didn't even have it listed on the build sheet! The Sale of Goods Act was mentioned to the Ford Dealer and a large gesture of goodwill was sent my direction to "keep me quiet"!

How fascinating!

Yes, it shows "Tyre Pressure Monitor Sys-DDS"

#10 samjprobinson

samjprobinson

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Mmm well that is interesting that it left the factory with it fitted and now you have it it doesn't work! Maybe the software in the menu didn't think you had DDS and therefore didn't install it into the menu? Might be something that Ford can do using an ECU update or replacing the OBC

#11 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The member the forum deserves but not the one it needs right now

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2014

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I might not have the answer to the technical fault but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over the course of my law degree, skills that make me a nightmare for iffy retailers lol.

Write to them stating rejection of the car. I cite the authority of Rogers v Parish (no need to go into it for now). Your statutory rights are a separate entity to the warranty. You have been more than reasonable by giving them chance to repair it. Ask for a replacement vehicle without that option added. Or with if you fancy giving it a second try.

#12 samjprobinson

samjprobinson

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

I see you're in Hampshire. You didn't get it from Hendy Ford did you?

#13 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The member the forum deserves but not the one it needs right now

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2014

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

S.14 of SOGA 1979 would be an argument. But if they are wrong and your car hasn't got it fitted at all then S.13 comes in

#14 fasty

fasty

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

I see you're in Hampshire. You didn't get it from Hendy Ford did you?

Why, would that be bad ? ;-)

Probably best I don't say where it came from for now.

I'm writing to both dealer and finance co giving them one more chance to demonstrate that something is actively being done to fix the issue.

If they can't provide objective evidence that things are likely to get fixed, then the next step is a shot across the bows from my legal team.

.. And I can reject a car - I did it years ago with a Peugeot that had piston slap from new, started knocking at the first cold weather!

#15 samjprobinson

samjprobinson

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Yeah no comment with Hendy... for now!

Good luck with it all sounds like a complete farce though and having been in a similar situation I know how frustrating it is! Ford CRC is also a complete waste of time. If I wanted to know what the dealer had to say I'd call them not Ford CRC to sit on hold for half an hour to be told what the dealer would have told me! Typical!

All this quoting of law reminds me I've still got 5,000 words to write in my law assignment for the Merchant Navy - damn!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users