Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot Door Sticking

Silverdogs

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble getting my boot door open and it's not as if I can open it with a key because there isn't a keyhole, just this fingertip thingy underneath the sill. I don't know how it works but it's not releasing the mechanism when I put my fingers on it and I have to fiddle around a bit to get it open. Annoying at the best of times but when I've got the dogs standing waiting to get in or they're already in and I can't get the door open it's even more annoying!

I thought it was the mechanism inside sticking so I've put some WD40 on it but it didn't seem to make any difference, so I presume it's the bit underneath the rubber handle. Is this an electrical thing?

• Like 2

Common fault on the Mk3 Mondeo, and most Fords it would seem as my Focus is playing up now too!

When it went on my Mondeo I first replaced the lock mechanism (about £70ish) as the solenoid/motor were known to go, but this didn't cure it so I replaced the micro-switch then too (about £25ish) all under warranty and it was good as new.

Do you have a button on the key fob? Does the interior boot release work? Does it have any random opening issues?

• Like 1

Oh yes it does have a button on the key fob, I forgot about that, I never use it. I don't think it has an interior boot release, I'll have to look more closely, the only release that stands out is the fuel flap.

I haven't had any random opening issues thankfully, that would be very dangerous with the dogs in the back as I haven't got a tailgate guard yet. I always lock the doors when the dogs are in the car.

Is the rubber handle stuck to the metal? I tried to get it off earlier but it seems to be stuck down fast.

So I'll try replacing the switch first if it's as easy as the man on the other thread said, but I won't be taking any meeces apart. :lol:

• Like 1

OK I haven't had the car long, well a couple of months, but I hadn't noticed the boot release button inside. :rolleyes: I'm not blonde, honestly. :lol:

• Like 1

Haha, no worries mate, can take a while to get used to.

There's a chance you could take the switch out and give it a clean, give it a spray with WD40 or some sort of contact cleaner and see how that goes, but might only be a temporary fix.

If you remove the interior boot plastics, then 6 x 10mm bolts to remove the tailgate handle piece you can pop out the rubber switch then.

Another option is if you disconnect the boot switch, the interior release button and the keyfob button should still work fine. Some people actually did this, not as a fix but as a security measure, to stop the boot being so easily accessible when stopped at traffic lights for example.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's a good thing after all then, I don't want someone opening the boot and letting my dogs out. I hate not having a tailgate guard but we spent all our money on buying the car and had nothing left, not even £50 for a warranty.

• 6 months later...

The boot switch has been working ok and I've had more urgent things to sort out like a new clutch and windscreen. I went out this morning, put the dog in the boot and now I can't lock it because the switch isn't releasing - the opposite problem from what I had before. I can't drive around with the boot open so can't drive the car until I get the switch replaced. Is there a way of getting it to release so I can shut the boot door?

Another option is if you disconnect the boot switch, the interior release button and the keyfob button should still work fine. Some people actually did this, not as a fix but as a security measure, to stop the boot being so easily accessible when stopped at traffic lights for example.

How do I disconnect the boot switch?

You need to remove the plastic cowling from the inside of the boot door, then you have access to the boot switch behind the panel.

Its easy enough to do, the connector is easy to see!

We've just had a look and WD40'd it but still nothing, not even from the switch inside the car or key fob remote. :( We've fastened it down with a bungee until I can get it into the garage but that won't be until Thursday because of silly bank holidays.

Oh I've just realised we didn't disconnect anything, just WD40'd it but I'm not telling my husband to go back and do it again!

This a micro switch they give bit trouble wat is ur car year an model does boot open wit remote

It's a 53 TDCi estate. It won't lock, not with the remote, the handle or the switch inside. What a ridiculous idea not having a keyhole!

So if u open boot get big screw driver an manually push it the lock closed won't lock is the lock seized

It will move with a screwdriver but won't stay there. I've booked it in to the garage on Thursday to have it replaced as I can't take the risk of a dodgy boot lock with my dogs in the back.

Garage have just phoned to see it's not the switch, the spring is missing from the catch. I presume that will be cheaper, I'm waiting for them to phone back.

They have to replace the catch and the switch so more expensive. I thought the catch was part of the switch. :unsure:

Nah, the switch is in the bootlid next to the license plate bulbs, the catch is at the bottom and latches onto the boot floor.

Have you been given a price? you could buy one a darned sight cheaper and fit it yourself?

All done for £160. I wouldn't trust myself to do something to the car, I might make it worse and it was worth paying the money to the garage just so my very short tempered husband didn't attempt it.

lol, fair enough, so all is back to normal?

Yes I have a choice of three ways to open the boot door now, lucky me. :)

lol, thats not bad then :)

• 1 month later...

Hi

My boot on my fiesta is opening as I drive. Off i have been been told it could be to the wet weather, cost of repair by tch from £130. To £200..

Regards

Tim

Lincolnshire

sounds like a bad switch, you could replace the switch easily enough and try that? that will help you determine where the problem is, it will either resolve the issue outright (most likely) or wont - in which case you have a spare for when it does go...