Photo

Went Mad With Spray Paint Over The Weekend :)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Focus_IRE

Focus_IRE

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
  • Name: Stephen
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi 110BHP
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hey lads,

I went a small bit mad over the weekend with spraying so here are a few pictures to show you the out comes im very happy with the results :)

IMG_05801.JPG

The wngine cover with day glow orange, a bith tedious with the writing but really happy :)

Car front.jpg

The diffuser below the bumper, i think it makes the car look lower :)

IMG_05841.JPG

The sill protectors I colour coded them also as the where black :)

Car Rear.jpg

The strip on the top of the bumper was black and annoying me so i think it looks better this colour :)

Right lads there you go opinions always welcome good or bad.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

good effort mate, i think you need a few more coats on the engine cover as from the pics it looks like it needs it?

#3 gforce

gforce

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Name: Gary
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST
  • Year: Non

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

Looks great buddy! The standard black plastics have always bugged me, so I think the colour coding is great. If I were you, I'd finish it off by doing the door strips and the rear lower valance as well. And spoiler too if you still have the standard one on there! ;)

EDIT: And your wing mirrors!

#4 Focus_IRE

Focus_IRE

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

good effort mate, i think you need a few more coats on the engine cover as from the pics it looks like it needs it?

Hi Sal, Thanks mate its just the way the sun was shining when i took the pic even the day glow orange doesnt stand out as it does by looking at it i will try and get another pic up.

Looks great buddy! The standard black plastics have always bugged me, so I think the colour coding is great. If I were you, I'd finish it off by doing the door strips and the rear lower valance as well. And spoiler too if you still have the standard one on there! ;)

EDIT: And your wing mirrors!

Well Gary, Thanks for the feedback buddy, yeah I intent on doing the door strips and rear bumper mate. As for the spoiler and wing mirrors they are carbon wrapped but what I might do is clear laquer them to make the carbon stand out and look glossy.

#5 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

i tried the laquering and it doesnt work - the carbon effect does not look as good.

#6 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Ah right, couldn't make out from the pics just. I've the carbon wrapped mirrors too...good taste, haha!

Was just about to say that I was waiting to hear Sal's feedback on the lacquer application but he's already let us know there, pity.

There is a glossy finish carbon wrap available though isn't there? Think my next move will be gloss black mirrors though, and gloss black grilles and fog surrounds. Just need to find the time to give it a bash as I'm not too sure about the amount of prep required and the time frame needed for doing them!

#7 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6a7851bb

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of...that's the first returned ebay result by the way, so would obviously do a bit of product research before buying any.

#8 Focus_IRE

Focus_IRE

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Ah right, couldn't make out from the pics just. I've the carbon wrapped mirrors too...good taste, haha!

Was just about to say that I was waiting to hear Sal's feedback on the lacquer application but he's already let us know there, pity.

There is a glossy finish carbon wrap available though isn't there? Think my next move will be gloss black mirrors though, and gloss black grilles and fog surrounds. Just need to find the time to give it a bash as I'm not too sure about the amount of prep required and the time frame needed for doing them!

Yeah was waiting on Sals feedback also. Gloss black would look well mate, there wouldnt bee too much time needed for thoes bits Gary mate once you have the prep done its a doddle after that.

i tried the laquering and it doesnt work - the carbon effect does not look as good.

Thanks for the feedback Sal.

#9 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yeah was waiting on Sals feedback also. Gloss black would look well mate, there wouldnt bee too much time needed for thoes bits Gary mate once you have the prep done its a doddle after that.

That's my problem though Stephen, finding a day's peace and quiet when I can take the grilles and surrounds off and work on them!

Was asking about prep tips on another thread, but would like your opinion as well bud as it's the same type of plastic that you've already plenty of experience with...is it just a matter of trying to flatten back with a few different grades of wet and dry, then a couple of coats each of primer, paint and lacquer, obviously with fine grade flatting back in between each?

The grilles seem like they'd be a right pain to get in between all the mesh. If I had the spare cash I'd love to pick up a spare set to work on so I could take my time and do it right, and then could sell on my standard ones to get my outlay back.

Kinda need the gloss black now to tie in with my front and rear lower centre sections and my spoiler.

#10 Focus_IRE

Focus_IRE

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yeah mate there is a fair bit of preping needed to smooth back the plastic to a smooth finish in order to get the best outcome. You are spot in what you are sating about wet and dry sandpaper. The main point is def sanding between priming coats other than that youll be wasting toyr time bud.

#11 b4zz

b4zz

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Name: Barry
  • Ford Model: facelift focus zetec
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

looking good and cant go wrong with a bit of colour coding

#12 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6a7851bb

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of...that's the first returned ebay result by the way, so would obviously do a bit of product research before buying any.

i used something similr on my bonnet lip but when i machine polished my bonnet i used the 3M masking tape and when i peeled it off the gloss layer peeled off so i had to replace the bonnet trim. The gloss vinyl I had wasnt stretchy either and was quite thick material. be wary though, i got my curent vinyl from the company from the link and they sent it out in a flat box and folded the vinyl which i then had to sort out before applying.

#13 gforce

gforce

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

i used something similr on my bonnet lip but when i machine polished my bonnet i used the 3M masking tape and when i peeled it off the gloss layer peeled off so i had to replace the bonnet trim. The gloss vinyl I had wasnt stretchy either and was quite thick material. be wary though, i got my curent vinyl from the company from the link and they sent it out in a flat box and folded the vinyl which i then had to sort out before applying.

Ah right, cheers for the heads up mate. That's a bummer about wrecking your bonnet lip. Was worried too about the flexibility of it compared to the standard stuff.

Anyway, turns out I won't be needing it as I just picked up a pair of panther black indicator mirror caps this morning off the bay! :D

#14 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

lucky git!

the grills wouldnt be difficult to rub down as they are already smooth so only need to go over them with a scotchbrite pad to roughen the surface so the paint sticks. i had a diffuser to sand down but didnt have time so dropped it off to my local bodyshop as they did a good job last time.

the new bonnet lip wasnt the right shape and was a poor copy and the locating pins broke off but i stuck it down with sealant and its not looking bad...for now!

#15 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,739 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
Contributor

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Did you sand and prime before painting? and how long did it take you top do all that?

I presume you also painted in situ, or did you take it all off?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users