Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Went Mad With Spray Paint Over The Weekend :)

Focus_IRE

Hey lads,

I went a small bit mad over the weekend with spraying so here are a few pictures to show you the out comes im very happy with the results :)

post-31330-0-02101100-1370848557_thumb.j

The wngine cover with day glow orange, a bith tedious with the writing but really happy :)

post-31330-0-37910800-1370849011_thumb.j

The diffuser below the bumper, i think it makes the car look lower :)

post-31330-0-16560000-1370848599_thumb.j

The sill protectors I colour coded them also as the where black :)

post-31330-0-62923500-1370849156_thumb.j

The strip on the top of the bumper was black and annoying me so i think it looks better this colour :)

Right lads there you go opinions always welcome good or bad.

good effort mate, i think you need a few more coats on the engine cover as from the pics it looks like it needs it?

Looks great buddy! The standard black plastics have always bugged me, so I think the colour coding is great. If I were you, I'd finish it off by doing the door strips and the rear lower valance as well. And spoiler too if you still have the standard one on there! ;)

EDIT: And your wing mirrors!

good effort mate, i think you need a few more coats on the engine cover as from the pics it looks like it needs it?

Hi Sal, Thanks mate its just the way the sun was shining when i took the pic even the day glow orange doesnt stand out as it does by looking at it i will try and get another pic up.

Looks great buddy! The standard black plastics have always bugged me, so I think the colour coding is great. If I were you, I'd finish it off by doing the door strips and the rear lower valance as well. And spoiler too if you still have the standard one on there! ;)

EDIT: And your wing mirrors!

Well Gary, Thanks for the feedback buddy, yeah I intent on doing the door strips and rear bumper mate. As for the spoiler and wing mirrors they are carbon wrapped but what I might do is clear laquer them to make the carbon stand out and look glossy.

i tried the laquering and it doesnt work - the carbon effect does not look as good.

• Like 1

Ah right, couldn't make out from the pics just. I've the carbon wrapped mirrors too...good taste, haha!

Was just about to say that I was waiting to hear Sal's feedback on the lacquer application but he's already let us know there, pity.

There is a glossy finish carbon wrap available though isn't there? Think my next move will be gloss black mirrors though, and gloss black grilles and fog surrounds. Just need to find the time to give it a bash as I'm not too sure about the amount of prep required and the time frame needed for doing them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4D-GLOSS-AIR-Free-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Wrap-Textured-for-car-home-real-look-/190764831163?pt=UK_Wallpaper&var=&hash=item2c6a7851bb

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of...that's the first returned eBay result by the way, so would obviously do a bit of product research before buying any.

Ah right, couldn't make out from the pics just. I've the carbon wrapped mirrors too...good taste, haha!

Was just about to say that I was waiting to hear Sal's feedback on the lacquer application but he's already let us know there, pity.

There is a glossy finish carbon wrap available though isn't there? Think my next move will be gloss black mirrors though, and gloss black grilles and fog surrounds. Just need to find the time to give it a bash as I'm not too sure about the amount of prep required and the time frame needed for doing them!

Yeah was waiting on Sals feedback also. Gloss black would look well mate, there wouldnt bee too much time needed for thoes bits Gary mate once you have the prep done its a doddle after that.

i tried the laquering and it doesnt work - the carbon effect does not look as good.

Thanks for the feedback Sal.

Yeah was waiting on Sals feedback also. Gloss black would look well mate, there wouldnt bee too much time needed for thoes bits Gary mate once you have the prep done its a doddle after that.

That's my problem though Stephen, finding a day's peace and quiet when I can take the grilles and surrounds off and work on them!

Was asking about prep tips on another thread, but would like your opinion as well bud as it's the same type of plastic that you've already plenty of experience with...is it just a matter of trying to flatten back with a few different grades of wet and dry, then a couple of coats each of primer, paint and lacquer, obviously with fine grade flatting back in between each?

The grilles seem like they'd be a right pain to get in between all the mesh. If I had the spare cash I'd love to pick up a spare set to work on so I could take my time and do it right, and then could sell on my standard ones to get my outlay back.

Kinda need the gloss black now to tie in with my front and rear lower centre sections and my spoiler.

Yeah mate there is a fair bit of preping needed to smooth back the plastic to a smooth finish in order to get the best outcome. You are spot in what you are sating about wet and dry sandpaper. The main point is def sanding between priming coats other than that youll be wasting toyr time bud.

looking good and cant go wrong with a bit of colour coding

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4D-GLOSS-AIR-Free-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Wrap-Textured-for-car-home-real-look-/190764831163?pt=UK_Wallpaper&var=&hash=item2c6a7851bb

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of...that's the first returned ebay result by the way, so would obviously do a bit of product research before buying any.

i used something similr on my bonnet lip but when i machine polished my bonnet i used the 3M masking tape and when i peeled it off the gloss layer peeled off so i had to replace the bonnet trim. The gloss vinyl I had wasnt stretchy either and was quite thick material. be wary though, i got my curent vinyl from the company from the link and they sent it out in a flat box and folded the vinyl which i then had to sort out before applying.

i used something similr on my bonnet lip but when i machine polished my bonnet i used the 3M masking tape and when i peeled it off the gloss layer peeled off so i had to replace the bonnet trim. The gloss vinyl I had wasnt stretchy either and was quite thick material. be wary though, i got my curent vinyl from the company from the link and they sent it out in a flat box and folded the vinyl which i then had to sort out before applying.

Ah right, cheers for the heads up mate. That's a bummer about wrecking your bonnet lip. Was worried too about the flexibility of it compared to the standard stuff.

Anyway, turns out I won't be needing it as I just picked up a pair of panther black indicator mirror caps this morning off the bay! :D

lucky git!

the grills wouldnt be difficult to rub down as they are already smooth so only need to go over them with a scotchbrite pad to roughen the surface so the paint sticks. i had a diffuser to sand down but didnt have time so dropped it off to my local bodyshop as they did a good job last time.

the new bonnet lip wasnt the right shape and was a poor copy and the locating pins broke off but i stuck it down with sealant and its not looking bad...for now!

Did you sand and prime before painting? and how long did it take you top do all that?

I presume you also painted in situ, or did you take it all off?

Did you sand and prime before painting? and how long did it take you top do all that?

I presume you also painted in situ, or did you take it all off?

I stripped all the pieces off on Friday afternoon, I then sanded and all Friday evening. Gave it the First promer coat on Friday night then left everything until the following day, sanded down the primer and wiped off gave it another coat of primer and let out in the sun to dry. I then sanded it again then applied the first coat of paint, dried, applied a second coat and then let dry again. Saturday evening again i gave it first coat of laquer and left dry overnigh. Then Sunday i gave it last coat of laquer then left dry in the sun. Then late last night fitted everthing back to the car. |*wipes sweat from brow* :ph34r:

Great Job Steven , looks very well done m8

certainly looks worth the fruits of your labour!

Great job indeed. I can't imagine having the parts off my car for that long though, there's no way I'd get away with parking it up for that long! Looks like a spare set would be the best option...or a set that have already been painted would be better again!

It's going back in to the bodyshop soon to have the skirts re-fitted as they're coming away a little...I'm very tempted to ask how much they'd be looking for to do the grilles and surrounds when it's in.

Great job indeed. I can't imagine having the parts off my car for that long though, there's no way I'd get away with parking it up for that long! Looks like a spare set would be the best option...or a set that have already been painted would be better again!

It's going back in to the bodyshop soon to have the skirts re-fitted as they're coming away a little...I'm very tempted to ask how much they'd be looking for to do the grilles and surrounds when it's in.

Gary I did not have the car parked up at all I just whipped off all the pieces but was stil driving around and gave a great wash before putting back on all the pieces to ensure all the areas where clean.

Yeah it would be interesting to see how much they will charge for it alright mate

Ah right, I was thinkin you might have done that...my worry though would be the top grill and leaving the dodgy bonnet lock dangling about.

Will enquire with the shop anyway about a price. I think I'll also be getting my standard plastics back when I'm next back with them...I asked them to hold on to the standard stuff when I was getting the kit fitted in case someone could use it for colour coding, exactly like you've done. They couldn't find my old bumpers for me to strip when I returned to collect the car, but think they have them now and might have removed and plastics, inserts, grilles etc for me. So I should have a standard fog set-up (surrounds and lights), front and rear lower valances, rear bumper insert, chrome grille and standard spoiler all available soon if anyone wants them to have a stab at colour coding without having to remove the bits. Could be next week mind you...trying to find a suitable time to leave the car in and then collect again around working hours is proving difficult!

• Like 1