Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hi all, just thought I'd post up my mpg figures from my first good run in the car,,,, 114 mile trip to my holiday desitnation lol, some motorway then A roads and duel carrage ways, got here and flicked the computer onto the mpg info and it was showing 54.7mpg :-) which I've got to say I was pretty pleased with, especially as we hit about 6 sets of roadworks which brought the speed right down to about 30. I wasn't careful on the way down, very rarely below 70 ish lol. Overall very pleased with the figures,,, fuel gauge hardly moved. Might take my time at about the 56mph mark on the way back, see if I can hit the 60mpg figure.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

thats really good Mike. My last trip to Yorkshire (125miles) i took it easy (60-70mph) and got approx 50mpg and then on the way back i had dropped down a gear and drove home most of the way in 4th and still managed 53mpg so was well chuffed. the revs werent high so didnt relaise until i had about 15 miles left! i must have covered around 90miles in 4th!

#3 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

We were on holiday on the West coast of Scotland a three weeks ago and trundling round the local roads the mpg figure went up to 64mpg, the highest we've ever recorded! Back home on a good run it usually sits around 53-55mpg and short local hops rapidly drop it down to 45-47. When we first got the car I compared the reading against a full-tank-to-full-tank check and found it was accurate to within about 2mpg. Even allowing for inevitable inaccuracy it's interesting to see the difference made by driving style and distance covered. It really confirms that diesels are at their best when used long-distance.

#4 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi 115
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Picked up my 2009 Focus 1.8TDCi last week, so still working out my economy.

Came from a 1.6 petrol Astra which returned a decent 35-38mpg average, however so far the trip computer on the Focus is saying an average of 41mpg, which would be a bit disappointing TBH. Was hoping to get nearer 50mpg. My dad used to have a 2004 Focus Estate with the 1.8TDCi engine, and averaged 55mpg in his.

My daily commute (13 miles each way to work) includes duel carriageway fro about 8 miles. I am not booting it, and trying to drive careful, but so far the economy isn't looking much better than the Astra, and now paying a higher price/litre for diesel, I was hoping for higher.

I will be off on a run up to Wooler in Northumberland this weekend (from Newcastle), so will fuel up and see how it does on A-Roads with an average speed of 50-60mph. Did the same trip about 5 years ago in a Clio 1.5DCi I had at the time, and that averaged 75mpg for the same journey!

As I say, I'll give it another few fuel ups to see if things improve before trying to sort a problem that may not be there.

#5 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

41 does seem a bit on the low side although a 13-mile trip is a bit marginal for a diesel I'd say. Diesel lumps do take a while longer to get to working temperature due to more metal and lower combustion temperatures. Your dad's sounds about right but you don't say what kind of motoring he was doing.

You should notice a significant improvement during your up-coming journey. I find that short-shifting helps a bit - change up before the revs go over about 2K as the turbo starts to kick in about there. It's not necessary to rev it as it pulls like a train from low revs and mine will pick up cleanly from 1K as long as it's not going uphill.

#6 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Cheers for the reply.

I'm also still getting used to driving a diesel again after 3 years in a petrol, and as you say, learning that you don't need to over-rev it .

Hopefully it will improve once I get used to it. The main thing is that it doesn't start costing me more to run/month, than the Astra did.

#7 WAZ91

WAZ91

Whizzle Dizzle

• FOC Supporters
  • 250 posts
  • Name: Warren
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8TDCI Zetec

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have a 1.8 TDCI 57 plate and ive only managed to get it up to 47mpg. my daily commute is 58 miles round trip and 90% motorway which i keep to 70mph all the way. 

I am disappointed and i see all the other 1.8's doing so well :(

#8 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 429 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

ace7d6d4-5c70-4dec-8e3f-70fef4f2e833_zps

115 miles, mix of town, m40, a40

#9 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
Contributor

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

i used to average 39-40mpg a week travelling 52 miles a day, however since new job im now travelling 4 miles a day so my mpg has dropped to 35 which is still quite good

#10 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I have a 1.8 TDCI 57 plate and ive only managed to get it up to 47mpg. my daily commute is 58 miles round trip and 90% motorway which i keep to 70mph all the way. 

I am disappointed and i see all the other 1.8's doing so well :(

Warren, drive at 60 all the way and you will see a massive improvement. reset the trip computer first.

#11 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Warren, drive at 60 all the way and you will see a massive improvement. reset the trip computer first.

+1 -  reset the computer before a long "economy" run and you will see your avarage MPG go up

#12 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

My fuel light came on this morning (at 50 miles remaining), and so far the fuel computer and roughly working out fuels used/miles is still working out at approx 41-42mpg. 

Have been trying to drive more carefully since my first message on here, not over-revving... keeping car below/up to 2000 revs... short shifting etc. The car has the optional 18" alloys fitted, instead of the standard Titanium ones - could that be having an effect?

However, off up to Wooler this evening, which is a 100 mile round trip, on A-roads, so we'll see what the car gives on a decent run at an average constant of 50-60mph.

Have had diesel Renaults in the past with the 1.5DCi engine, and whilst smaller than the Focus engine, a Clio averaged 60mpg and a scenic 55mpg for the same daily commutes that I'm doing now, without needing to be particularly careful.

That was why I was hoping for nearer 50mpg out of the Focus. However, the economy is still higher than the Petrol Astra I had, so I doubt its gonna start costing more/week to run on fuel, but obviously I want it to return as best as possible.

If there was anything I could do to improve it, as well as changing driving style/habits, what could help? Any additives or change of filters? I don't think its had a 'recent' service, apart from the pre-collection one by the garage, where I think they only mentioned oil and oil filter being changed.

Cheers for any more advice given.

MJ

#13 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 429 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

well the average trip computer wont really be relative as when you sit in traffic youre getting 0MPG so its messing up the real MPG value

you should be getting 65-70mpg driving at 50mph in 5th

#14 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

@Marc

check you tyre pressures and lose any unneccassary weight from the car, this will improve MPG.

#15 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

well the average trip computer wont really be relative as when you sit in traffic youre getting 0MPG so its messing up the real MPG value

you should be getting 65-70mpg driving at 50mph in 5th

I know its not scientific or the best way to do it, but last week I put £35 worth in, when the trip said it had about 75 miles left to empty. A week later, when it said 75 miles left, I'd done about 242 miles. The £35 petrol (@ £1.359/litre) was 5.66 gallons.... 242 miles divided by 5.66g = 42.7mpg. The trip is saying an average of 41.5mpg, so it cant be that far adrift, can it?

As I say, we'll see how it performs this evening on a decent run... I'll reset the fuel comp again before we set off.

@Marc

check you tyre pressures and lose any unneccassary weight from the car, this will improve MPG.

I'll check tyre pressures, but in terms of unnecessary weight, there's nothing in the car that isn't fixed down/standard fit (apart from me! :) )... no load in the boot - is that what you meant, or do you mean start stripping bits off/out of it?? 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users