#16 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I know its not scientific or the best way to do it, but last week I put £35 worth in, when the trip said it had about 75 miles left to empty. A week later, when it said 75 miles left, I'd done about 242 miles. The £35 petrol (@ £1.359/litre) was 5.66 gallons.... 242 miles divided by 5.66g = 42.7mpg. The trip is saying an average of 41.5mpg, so it cant be that far adrift, can it?

Bear in mind that the range figure is calculated from the average mpg figure so it's no surprise that they are in step. The only accurate way is tank brim to tank brim. The trip is useful for seeing how it goes up and down in different scenarios and driving styles.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,023 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

best I can get out my car is 41mpg on the way down the motorway to the office... looks like I need a good service at least...

#18 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

Ok, so I'm now home from my mini break, with 309 miles on the trip computer, around 230 of that acount for the trip there and back and the rest (80 ish miles) were stop start trips, up and down hills, a lot of gear changing, 1st 2nd 3rd etc whilst there,,,, car is showing just below half a tank now, again on the way home, was around a constant 75ish lol. Not doing a lot of long runs I'm very pleased with the economy of this car, and bless her, she never missed a beat the whole time :-)

#19 jg321

jg321

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Name: Jon
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk 2.5 1.6 TDCi Zetec
  • Year: 2008

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

13 mile trip each way every day, first 3 miles leaving Manchester city centre on the way there. Not taking it steady at all, especially on the motorway, and the computer is showing 52MPG. 

I've found the best improvements by driving more economically on the non-motorway segments, e.g. not getting in the right hand lane to bypass a queue, then cut back in, and also setting off more smoothly at traffic lights helps.

#20 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi 115
  • Year: 2009

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well, we had our run up to Wooler and back last night (taking our son up to stay at Grandparents for weekend), and will be doing same trip tomorrow.

Average MPG according to the trip computer when we got back was 52mpg.

Journey there consists of roughly 15 miles on the A1 dual carriageway at 60-70mph, and then 30 or so miles on the A697 at 50-60mph.... then same return journey. With the bulk of it being single carriageway, I just sat in at a steady 50-60, not overtaking anyone.

Whilst the MPG has clearly improved for the run, its still only near a level I'd hoped for, for general weekly use.

Incidentally, my dad's current car is a 2008 1.6 petrol Focus Zetec Hatchback, and his trip computer is saying 40mpg for general/daily useage.

So, improvements - I am trying to adjust my driving style more suited to a diesel, but I'm gonna check the air filter, and see if that looks like it needs changing. Could that cause a drop in economy, and to approx >10mpg? Beyond that, is there anything else mechanical that could be causing it to be thirstier than it should be, or is it just a case that all engines (even of same type) are just 'different'?

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

No two cars will get the same mpg 65-70mpg is unrealistic even the TRUE mpg sites with submitted mpg and independant tests dont get that mpg 40-50mpg is the average from thousands of drivers input

#22 mjt

mjt

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Ford Model: 03 Focus Mk1.5 Estate 1.8 TDCi Ghia

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

Arthur's absolutely right. We have a run to our daughter's house of almost identical mileage and mix of roads. The best we achieve is 52-55mpg so your result looks about right. If I pop out to fill up the mpg shows a hit a few miles after we set out for home then normally recovers by the end of the journey. Journeys to the local shops & supermarket soon knock it back to 45 mpg or less. You'll also notice that the calculation lags by a few miles. You may find it goes up a bit on a short journey that follows a long one before it starts to drop back and initially drops at the beginning of the next long one..

Unless your air filter is seriously clogged I can't see it having a noticeable effect on your consumption.

#23 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Cheers for the replies - looking like its running about right then.

I'll still check the air filter, as I think its overdue a full service, and only had the pre-collection one by the garage, and they only mentioned changing the oil & oil filter. 

For the sake of £10 or so, if the air filter does look dirty, I'll change it and see if does make any (even marginal) difference.

#24 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,198 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

A nice k and n filter will work wonders a bit dearer but theres no need to replace it again

#25 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

My average mpg in london is 46, this is not impressive at all and it's near impossible to drive in heavy moving traffic with economy in mind i do try however but every so often it gets booted more than i want to. (This is with the car fully loaded in the boot)

1. When it comes to mpg it is important to note that no two engines will produce the exact same figure, the tiniest of variation in the build process will affect the on road performance. 

2. Weight makes a huge difference, i have a full size steal spare tyre (Sucks) getting rid of the extra weight is a must, get your "No fat chicks" stickers prepped.

3. Extras, some of us will have extras on our cars that adds massive amount of weights, like heated seats! heated seats or electric adjust seats are very heavy! The extra wire looms and what not that the titanium have that aren't use adds weight.

4. Runnings electrical equipment, this goes without saying... AC will lower mpg we all know this, but so does the blower, headlights and pumping stereo, put all of these together and you may find despite of your careful driving you can never achieve your ideal mpg. (Whenever talking about AC, do not open your windows and turn off the AC on the motorway, this creates drag that kills your mpg. Use AC at high speed and close your windows, the higher revs and speed will aid to AC to use less power)

5. Service service service. you can never over service a car.

6. Fuel types. Now this will always trigger strong opinions but here is mine. Shell fuel kicks @ss, forget anything else, shell fuel is no gimmicky marketing crap it really does increase your mpg over other fuels try it for your self.

7. Get your self a shell fuel card. It's simple, once you have your card you swipe on each fill up, end of. shell sends you vouchers in the post, next fill up you swipe your card and voucher, instant money off, there is no BS waiting around there is no jumping through hoops or calling some strange 0845 number to claim your discount. Money is simply minus from the fuel on the spot, last time my £60 fill up was £45 using vouchers.

Since i am self employed and calculate my mileage and fuel cost for tax purposes, i can tell you it makes a huge difference regardless of how crappy your mpg is.

8. As others have said, tyre pressure is very important. Low resistant tyres are also a must on your next tyre shopping list, forget the budget tyre or something from your local kwik fit, invest in some performance low resistant tyres it's money well spent. Get your tyres well balanced and tracked. From experience i find this to be something that goes a miss very easily. Ford does free tracking!

9. Get rid of your roof rack if you have one of course. i know it can be hard to gather the effort to do so especially when some roof racks are fiddly. Handle your biz like a man.

10. I don't have one :- )

#26 johnson293

johnson293

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Cheers for those tips Kurt.

Previous £35 worth of fuel returned 53mpg overall, following my runs up to Wooler and back.

I fuelled up this morning, and am giving Shell a go, and have registered a loyalty card.

Nearest Shell filling stations to work are 3p/litre more (1.38/litre) expensive than the Tesco I had been using (£1.35/litre), but will be interesting to see if the 'Fuelsave' diesel does indeed make any difference, coupled with my (hopefully) better driving style.

Dad has my car tomorrow to fit some rear parking sensors for me, and I'm gonna get him to check the air filter and see if it looks like it needs/is worth changing.... as they say... 'every little helps'!

#27 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

My average mpg in london is 46, this is not impressive at all and it's near impossible to drive in heavy moving traffic with economy in mind i do try however but every so often it gets booted more than i want to. (This is with the car fully loaded in the boot)

1. When it comes to mpg it is important to note that no two engines will produce the exact same figure, the tiniest of variation in the build process will affect the on road performance. 

FOCA - Modern cars are made to fine tolerances, and the same model leaves the factory, essentially, identical (apart from optional extras etc) higher milage cars (of the same model) can differ significantly, depending on use/ servicing etc  

2. Weight makes a huge difference, i have a full size steal spare tyre (Sucks) getting rid of the extra weight is a must, get your "No fat chicks" stickers prepped.

Agreed, especially round town or accelerating/ decelerating or uphill, at a steady speed on the flat, not so much    

3. Extras, some of us will have extras on our cars that adds massive amount of weights, like heated seats! heated seats or electric adjust seats are very heavy! The extra wire looms and what not that the titanium have that aren't use adds weight.

FOCA - Agreed, in general, its not what you might expect, though, door skins are negligable, full size 5-stud spare / jack = 20kgs any load on the electrics (anything heated is a big load, seats, windscreen etc) the heaters in the seats are light,as are the wires, but are a high electrical load, this puts a bigger load on the alternator, increasing mechanical drag the motor and mech for raising/ lowering the drivers seat only weighs 1kg

4. Runnings electrical equipment, this goes without saying... AC will lower mpg we all know this, but so does the blower, headlights and pumping stereo, put all of these together and you may find despite of your careful driving you can never achieve your ideal mpg. (Whenever talking about AC, do not open your windows and turn off the AC on the motorway, this creates drag that kills your mpg. Use AC at high speed and close your windows, the higher revs and speed will aid to AC to use less power)

FOCA - Agreed about the electrical loads but you must know what uses a lot, and what uses a little - (some electrical items use 10 times as much as others). as above, any electrical loads are eventually drawn from engine power via the alternator.  In independant tests, open windows (even fully open) made very little difference at low or high speed, at a high steady speed, the AC hardly affected the MPG, accelerating/ rownd town, the AC had a big negative effect on MPG  

5. Service service service. you can never over service a car.

FOCA - agreed!

6. Fuel types. Now this will always trigger strong opinions but here is mine. Shell fuel kicks @ss, forget anything else, shell fuel is no gimmicky marketing crap it really does increase your mpg over other fuels try it for your self.

FOCA  Lets not go there! why? the cheapest fuel you can get might be the cheapest to run too

7. Get your self a shell fuel card. It's simple, once you have your card you swipe on each fill up, end of. shell sends you vouchers in the post, next fill up you swipe your card and voucher, instant money off, there is no BS waiting around there is no jumping through hoops or calling some strange 0845 number to claim your discount. Money is simply minus from the fuel on the spot, last time my £60 fill up was £45 using vouchers.

Since i am self employed and calculate my mileage and fuel cost for tax purposes, i can tell you it makes a huge difference regardless of how crappy your mpg is.

FOCA - You probably pay more in the long run

8. As others have said, tyre pressure is very important. Low resistant tyres are also a must on your next tyre shopping list, forget the budget tyre or something from your local kwik fit, invest in some performance low resistant tyres it's money well spent. Get your tyres well balanced and tracked. From experience i find this to be something that goes a miss very easily. Ford does free tracking!

FOCA - Low rolling resistance "economy"/ "eco" tyres are one thing (yes they can make a significant difference to MPG) they don't have a lot of grip though grip = drag (you can get them with a good compromise MPG vs grip). "performance" tyres are a tottaly different thing - made for wet/ dry grip performance - not for economy - i always ran very high pressures (38-41PSI) i like the "feel" and i thought it would make a big difference to MPG - in an independant test, low or high tyre pressures did not make a significant difference to MPG - the tyres may have had a stiff sidewall though (tyres with softer sidewalls may have produced mor drag/ less MPG )

Lighter wheels and narrower tyres can make a big improvement to MPG - some cars have two sets of official MPG figures depending on the size/ width of wheel/ tyre fitted, on most modern cars the wheels are too wide for the power (eg small engined Fucuses or Fiestas with big, wide wheels/ tyres) fitted for "looks" 

9. Get rid of your roof rack if you have one of course. i know it can be hard to gather the effort to do so especially when some roof racks are fiddly. Handle your biz like a man.

FOCA - I always thought this too (i got rid of my rack/s) - the modern "aero" racks/ roof containers don't seem to make that much of an impact on MPG, though apparently.  

10. I don't have one :- )

FOCA - Driving style - choosing your route carefully/ when you drive,  eg avoiding traffic etc (if possible ) hypermiling techniques knowledge- can make a big difference  

#28 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Read this -

http://www.autoexpre...mpg-mythbusters

#29 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,023 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

If you have two routes to work, one is a country road based route, and the other a motorway, opt for the country road route and give it a try!!

I personally do this, and have been watching my MPG. Motorway, constant speeds 70mph offers around 38 mpg, It I was at any point to get up to 80 mph that may, or may not offer around 41mpg. Country road route, offers a variable between 44 and 46 mpg. This is because the roads vary and I spend as much time with my foot off the throttle and rolling in gear as I do gently applying to go up and down the hills. There's no overtaking, so no sudden bursts of fuel being thrown in, and for me it works out better to do the country road route... Thankfully also in my situation, there is absolutely no time difference in travel the mileage is barely any different and it works a treat!

Although as Andy Dibley knows, and as I very nearly found out this morning, the country roads offer slightly more wildlife to contend with!

#30 blue flash

blue flash

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Ford Model: focus ghia
  • Year: 2005

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

very interesting read foca.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users