Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aussie Mountune Mr 290

MR290XR5

Purchase my XR5 Turbo in November 2010. First mod was a Pro Alloy ST/RS intercooler and was followed by several CAI's before settling on the Mountune MR 290 tune. I swapped my DS CAI for a stock air box and then installed a pro alloy big boost pipe kit as well as Blue Flame Turbo back exhaust and next posted computer to Mountune for upgrade. Car went very well once computer back. Next mod was a top pipe from air box to turbo which was made here in Australia, it's a 3" stainless steel jobbie that is ceramic coated to help keep the heat down on the air to the turbo. This pipe has made the tune very smooth and responsive. Also performance filter in stock air box. Next was a Elevate 25.4 mm rear bar with whiteline lateral locks. Rennsport racing rear camber arms, front whiteline 24 mm bar with lateral locks and polyurethane control arm bushes. Next mod was the Mountune Clubsport suspension struts,shocks and springs along with there alignment set up. Love this little car and now handles and go's the way i want while looking stock on the outside.

Sounds like a crackin car you've put together there mate! I'm sure its put many a smile on your face being set up just the way you want it. You got any more pics? Is that your car in your avatar?

Hello and welcome to the forum! - i like your car!

After a lot of experimenting, I found the stock airbox worked best on my diesel too, but with it de-webbed/ gas flowed (the inside smoothed out)

What is a CAI? is that a cone air filter?

Someone told me the Focus RS mk2 had a lot of "stock" modifications (changes to the engine internals) compared to the ST(225), (what the xr5 is called in the UK,) including an upgrade to the oil pump, may be worth looking into that

Think the CAI(S) is a Cold Air Intake System...basically a big cone filter with an air intake routed from outside the engine bay, and the cone fitted inside some sort of housing designed to keep temperatures down and keep heat from the engine out. That's my basic understanding of it anyway, but I stand to be corrected/educated!

Real popular mod by all accounts for the ST/XR5 guys.

Pretty sure you're right too Foca about the 'stock' RS parts being used as 'upgrades' on the ST...oil cooler and injectors are two that spring to mind.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I enjoy driving the car and the power but of late have been paying a few speeding fines so have to remove lead from right foot. My future mods include a set of ST 3 BI Xenon headlights that i purchased from a member on here along with other bits from him. Also have some LED tail lights on the way. gforce i like the colour of your car looks good, always been a fan of blue. FOCA my 6 year old son would love yours for sure. I will see if i can load up some more photo's. Thanks again for the comments.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers mate, the ST didn't come in my shade of blue so I wasn't sure how it was gonna look when fully kitted, but delighted with the results of how it came together. Hopefully if/when my mileage ever drops significantly I'll be upgrading to the real deal!

Hello gforce,

You have done a lot of work to your car and unless anyone knew what you have done they would thinks it's an ST. My original plan was after the ex left was to purchase a MK2 RS but over here in the colonies we where paying brand new $72,000 for one. Ford only brought 315 RS's into Australia so they charged like wounded bulls for one. My XR5 cost $36,000 on road with window tinting and DVD player in the back for my son. The XR5/ST that we got here was a mix of the 3 different variants that you guys have but we missed out on the good stereo and no climate control or reverse park sensors basically all the stuff you guys got in the ST3. Some of ours had leather and sun roof which is very rare over here and some with just leather and mine is the basic one with cloth. I have been reading what some of you guys in England have been doing to your cars and i must say that the cars look fantastic with real good mods, I can understand the love affair with small cars in the U.K. with the price of fuel that you pay.I'm 52 and was raised on big 6's and V8's but in the 90's i purchase a Holden/Vaxhaul Barina/ Corsa 1.6 GSI and was amazed at how it went and handled and that was the start for me with small cars.Anyway i have rambled on long enough so you have a good day.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club