• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Name: Arjen
  • Ford Model: Fusion
  • Year: 2004
Contributor

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

This morning put in the powerbox. They couldn't have picked a worse place to put the plug, you can hardly see it and it's even worse if you want to reach it!

Took me about 2 hours to get it all in, took of the air intake box, all the air intake tubing/piping and because i still couldn't get it off also the battery.

Made a little helper so i could reacht the tab that is holding the plug and after that it went real smooth. Took me 1,5 hour to get to that point :blink: .

When i took it for a testdrive i also connected my bluetooth OBD2 module and my tablet so i could gather some data to analyze later.

The most noticable change is the car runs stronger from 1500 to 3000 rpm (haven't gone any higher so have tot test that in the future).

But i didn't want it for the extra power, i want to drive more economical. My Scangauge is a little confused now i think, normally the fuelconsumption (LHK aka litres per 100 kilometre) is relatively stable if you're driving a steady speed on the cruise control. Now it fluctuated up and down so i think it doesn't like what the powerbox is doing.

We'll see how that's gonna hold.

What i did see is that i definitely need an intercooler, inlet temp. was 8 to 10 degrees higher compared to a few days ago but outside temp. isn't 8 to 10 degrees hotter, only about 5. (all in Celsius)

Will look for a 1.6TDCI (or 1.6HDI Peugeot) intercooler, looking at some pics that should be the easiest fix.

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM00707.jpg
  • CAM00706.jpg
  • CAM00704.jpg
  • CAM00703.jpg
  • CAM00700.jpg
  • CAM00697.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Modified the airinlet, the original pipe has a 90 degree turn just behind the radiator and gets its air from under the bonnet, so warm air with a bit of cold air coming from between the gap between the radiator and the left headlamp.

It's doesn't look like much yet, have to go to the scrap yard tomorrow to get some black plastic which i can make into a decent air scoop.

But to test this works flawlessly, the air intake temp. stays the same as the outside temp. Before it was 2-3 degrees higher (Celsius)

So already a simple modification will make it breath cooler air, nothing compared to a intercooler but for the timebeing this will suffice.

Did demolish the 90 degree plastic piece but that doesn't matter.

Will also have to cut and modify some sharp edges from the black plastic frame at the bottom of the airscoop to make it flush.

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM00739.jpg
  • CAM00738.jpg
  • CAM00737.jpg
  • CAM00736.jpg
  • CAM00735.jpg
  • CAM00734.jpg

#18 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Also got the Focus heating knobs from China today, will see if i can make a How-To to fit them in a Fusion/Fiesta (if i can get it right myself ofcourse ;) )

CAM00730.jpg

CAM00731.jpg

CAM00732.jpg

#19 Mikey923

Mikey923

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fusion 1.4 TDCI

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Keep this as updated as possible please ! 

Thanks !

#20 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Will do!

The trip to the scrapyard will be Friday (i hope), some things came up.

Want to make a nice airduct for the fresh air intake although the tape/sticker version also works like a charm. Had to drive nearly 200 miles yesterday, also a lot of city traffic. on the motorways and other roads were you can maintain a little speed the inlet temperature (measured after the turbo thus compressed and heated) stays the same as the outside temperature.

As soon as you are in traffic in the city the temperature rises. (Outside temperatures between 22 and 25 degrees Celsius, 72 to 77 Fahrenheit.) Inlet temp the same whilst driving, 40, 50 an d 60 mile an hour.

In the city it rose to 30 - 35 C, 86 to 95 F. One high peak to 51 C, 124F when standing in a long line of traffic and having to wait for the same trafficlight about ten times.

But in those city conditions also an intercooler won't make a difference, you need air flowing through the intercooler to let it cool the inlet air and standing still in the city, in the sun without any wind blowing before trafficlights won't make a difference with or without an intercooler.

Also tried to fit the Focus round heater knobs. Will be a pita cause although the shape of the axle is the same, the size isn't! The Focus knobs have smaller axles so the knobs won't fit the Fusion/Fiesta axles.

Heated the plastic star shaped axle of the blower regulator and then pushed the Focus knob on it. Worked, could get it about 5-6 mm on it. But that's enough, the Focus knobs don't stick out as far as the original Fusion knobs.

CAM00743.jpg

Then the next problem showed. The star shape has a flat spot on one side and ofcourse the flat side in the Fusion isn't on the same side as the Focus!

So position 3 and 4 are now 0 and 1. Only noticable by the little transparant nodge at the front of the knob.

Positions 0, 1 and 2 are before the numbering of the dial.

CAM00740.jpg CAM00741.jpg

So now i will have to come up with a way to turn the knob about 90 degrees so it will line up correctly with the dial.

Took the regulator apart but that's not a good idea, there are 2 little springs in it with 2 little metal balls that take care of the positioning of the knob at the right position aka the numbers on the dial.

Don't take it apart, it will take some luck, fiddling and swearing to get the whole thing back together again like it should be!

To be continued.......

#21 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

First replaced my cabin filter, made a How-To in the Fusion section of the Ford Guides subforum.

Then i couldn't resist trying to get the heater knobs to fit.

As said, the blower knob fitted but was the wrong orientation. Took my Dremel and modified the housing and regulator a bit.

CAM00767.jpg CAM00768.jpg CAM00769.jpg

Now it is like it should be, still a fraction off but i can live with that. If it's in the car you will look at it from left above (LHD car) so then it will be spot on.

CAM00772.jpg CAM00773.jpg

CAM00770.jpg CAM00771.jpg

Next thing will be the cold/hot air knob. Thinking of filling the middle of the knob with 2-component glue, grease the metal shaft and put the thing back together and let it dry. I should than still be able to remove the knob (because of the grease) but have the right shape to operate the heating. Well, that;s the theory ^_^ . The only thing i don't know and can't test is if the Focus knob will survive the 2-component glue. I know it heats up but i also don't know if it will just dissolve the plastic of the knob. So a bit more thinking to be done.

Tomorrow i will look at the scrapyard at the thing that is behind the selection knob, should be a relatively simple thing to modify cause it also will have to be turned about 90 degrees but i don't know if that's possible without opening my dashboard so on the scrapyard will be easier to see it.

But it sure does look nice:

CAM00775.jpg CAM00777.jpg

Again, to be continued.......

#22 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Went to the scrapyard this morning. Wanted to see how the heating knobs of a Focus looked like behind the knobs.  Didn't help much, nothing i could use for the Fusion :( .

What i did see in some Fiesta's is that the selection knob will be easy to do, the only thing is the 90 degrees won't be easy to fix. Also the cold/heat knob will have to be a homemade solution, have to think about the best solution for that.

What i did find is a sunglasses box for in the roof. Comes from a Mondeo. Don't think that it will fit like this but i think when i remodel it and make it smaller it might fit between the roof and the lining. Will first measure it thorough before i cut a hole in my rooflining ;)

What i also found was an original air inlet, the same as i "remodeld" aka destroyed.

Also found a flat inlet from a Focus and an even better one from a Peugeot. Will see which one will fit the best, think the French one.

Forgot to look at the VIN of the cars where i took parts from. When i took things for my Benz i always noted the VIN so i would know what type it was if i wanted something like that again or other things from the same car.

O, and i refueled, 60,28 MPG, not a bad number :D (Have to say no motorways so don't think i can do much better than that)

CAM00778.jpg CAM00779.jpg CAM00780.jpg

#23 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Also now what i need under the bonnet, 8V21-9A675-AH. Used in 1.4 TDCI Fiesta's from 2008 up, at least, that's what i can find in the parts catalog.

Attached Thumbnails

• good.jpg

#24 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Went back to the scrapyard yesterday to look more closely at the selction controls of the heating and ventilation.

Behind the selction knob is a big plastic cilindrical form, that's attached to a steel cable which in turn  goes somewhere right of the heating and ventilation unit.

Tried to pull it out and that worked. Looked in the parts catalog later and indeed, you can easily replace that cable. Where the cable connected you can hardly see because of the airduct that's blocking the view but i could see a white cog-wheel.

Could just reach it with my finger and tried to trun it but it fell out. If i can get to it more easily it's just a matter of removing the cog-wheel, put it back in but turned further 90 degrees and the selection knob would be spot on. I'm just a bit afraid what happens if i take the cog-wheel out if i can get it back in again. (Maybe an other trip to the scrapyard next week ;) )

If you look at the pics (circled in red) you know what i mean.

Bediening verwarming edited.jpg verwarming Fusion 3 edited.jpg

Then the only thing is how to attach the middle knob. Maybe take a regulator from a Focus, remove the axle and somehow let that slide over the steel axle of the Fusion's regulator. Plenty ideas but still not totally convinced i've already got the right one.

Sadly there was no intercooler to be found, at least not one i can use. Saw one from a VW but that won't fit without major rebuilding so no option for me. (Not that i can't do it, i just don't want to ;) )

Did see a motor cover from a Peugeot, 2.0 HDI, and tried to fit it on the 1.4 HDI at the scrapyard. If it would only take minor adjusments i would have taken it with me but sadly it won't fit without taking about half of it off and even then it would look like crap.

I have a bit of a dilemma, do i want an engine cover, just for the looks or don't i want it. Pro's are only the looks, cons are the turbo outlet and resonator box will become a bit hotter because the cover will trap the heat underneath it.

Also thinking about a cold air intake/sports intake so the air doesn't have to go all over the engine before entering the turbo. Not just a filter underneath the bonnet but in a housing with a cold air inlet. Just a sports filter underneath the bonnet will do more harm than good because of the warm air intake.

Should also help to keep the compressed air cooler. And that way i probably don't need an intercooler. Only if i'm gonna raise my boost (easily done by adjusting the arm on the pressure controls) i would need an intercooler than.

But even than i don't think i would need one, you only use the extra boost when accelerating and after that it would be just like stock. And because i drive with a light right foot i think i can get away without an intercooler.

If you're a racer and would use the extra boost almost all of the time you would definitely need an intercooler.

So, lot's to think about, lot's of things to do next week ;)

#25 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

One step closer to a Cat free car ^_^ .

Took a piece of the Mercedes exhaust i had still laying around, because of the flare at the end of the pipe it fitted perfectly to the little piece of the Peugeot's pipe.

Welded it together, i'm a self educated welder so the welds won't be eligible for the guinness book of records ;) .

Will see if i can make the total conversion this week, very curious if there is any noticable change in performance or engine smoothness.

CAM00788.jpg CAM00790.jpg

#26 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

A little side track today.

My motto is that if you know how things look on the inside you can troubleshoot possible problems much easier.

Not only that, i'm also curious how things work and why they're constructed lke they are.

So, because i don't know how the inside of a resonatorbox in the high pressure side of the turbo looks i decided to open one up.

On the inside there is a insert with holes in the side, these give access to the actual extra rooms in the box.

The only resonance i can think of that will be in the inlet is the resonance of the cilinders sucking/letting air in all 4, one at a time.

And what the resonatorbox does is "store" a bit of pressure so the turbo won't get the pressure fluctuations so much.

That's also probably why the 1.6 TDCI doesn't have the box, it has a intercooler so the total content of compressed air is a lot more because of it. So any pressure fluctuations will be compensated by that.

And the reason they put this box in is it doesn't take a lot of room and still does the job. You could also put a T piece of piping in with a small bottle shaped piece on it and it will do the same but take up more room.

CAM00805.jpg CAM00806.jpg CAM00807.jpg CAM00808.jpg CAM00809.jpg

#27 FiestaZS90150

FiestaZS90150

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Name: Nicolas
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta 2013 1.0 Ecoboost Racing Red
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

wow lots going on, love the knobs =) i should of done that in y old fiesta =) keep up the great work =)

#28 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Well, they're not in yet but it's just a matter of time ;)

#29 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yesterday i noticed a screw in my left rear tyre by accident. Wanted to go to KwikFit first (that's the only thing i go to KwikFit for, to get a plug in a tyre. That's about the only thing they don't screw up ;) ) but then i remembered i had something else, left over from a previous leaky tyre (on the Benz) which had a nail in it.

When i was young i had many flat's on my bike when i discoverd OKO. On my bike it Always worked like a charm, no matter what you would drive through, never a puncture again! You put the special fluid in the tyre, it's a liquid with fibres in it. Doesn't degrade the tyre and won't freeze. You can leave it in the entire life of the tyre and you will never have a puncture again. It can close holes up to 5 mm.

There's also a special version for tubeless tyres  etc.

So took the wheel of, got the screw out (tyre deflated quite rapidly) and took the innerworks of the air valve out. Put in 250 ml of OKO, reinflated the tyre, rotated it once and voila, leak sealed!

Because i took the wheel of i just as well could renew my brakefluid, i looked in the reservoir and it looked murky so i don't know when it was changed the last time. (got no maintenance history with the car)

How i did that the easy way is described in a How-To in the Fusion section ;)

Right rear fixed by KwikFit:

CAM00825 (Large).jpg

Left rear fixed by me and OKO:

CAM00826 (Large).jpg CAM00827 (Large).jpg

#30 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

O, also noticed that the left rear bearing is making a soft grinding noise, just like the bearing is dry.

So will order new wheel bearings and have a go at those!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users