• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Name: Arjen
  • Ford Model: Fusion
  • Year: 2004
Contributor

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

O, almost forgot, i have a inline fuse holder so i hope to get my automatic heating side mirrors in this week or next weekend!

It's not quite the one i wanted but it will do the job.

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM01345.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#92 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Not bad at all, glass fuse?

#93 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

No ceramic, luckily i have a bunch off them, my Mercedes uses the old ceramic ones.

#94 Mikey923

Mikey923

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fusion 1.4 TDCI

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi Arjen !

How did you get on with the cold air intake? Very tempted to do it to my Fusion.. Did it make much difference ?

Also, does your centre console get in the way of the handbrake? Going to buy a cheapish "DIY" one from eBay if it doesn't I reckon!

You've given me plenty of idea to think about  :D

#95 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hi Mike, long time no see/hear ;).

I didn't change anything after i did the front intake mod (post 17 of this topic). If i look at my Scangauge i see only a little rise in temp after driving a while.

Overall you could say that when driving anywhere above crawling speed the temperature measured by the MAF (it not only measures air flow but it also has a temp sensor in it, at least in my case. You can see it when looking inside the MAF) only rises 1-3 degrees above the outside temperature. And 3 when it's warmer outside, 20 plus degrees, 1 to 2 degrees when it's not so warm, under 20 degrees outside.

So if i would move the airfilterbox, (and the battery, so a lot of work) i would only gain the 1-3 degrees. If it would be 10 to 30 degrees i would do it but for a measly 1-3 degrees i won't bother.

Must say i don't know what the rise would be with the original 90 degree bend in the air intake cause i destroyed that when making the direct cold air intake.

Also measured the rise in temp after the turbo, air temp rises about 10 to 15 degrees (outside temp was between 15 and 20 degrees), in summer it will rise a bit more i reckon but an intercooler also has some negatives, more turbo lag because the turbo has to pressurize a larger volume of air. So maybe an intercooler will help but i really like the way the boost comes in now so i don't want to ruin that.

My armrest does get a little in the way for the handbrake but as i can lift it up it's no problem. And to be quite honest, i never ever use my handbrake, Always park in first gear and i don't even use it when driving away on a slope, i just have a quick foot from brake to gas pedal ;).

#96 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Drove to work the last days, nothing special but normally i take the scenic route, only 80 and a little 100 km/hr roads. I know i can get 22 km per litre (a bit over 62 mpg) when i do that.

This week i took the motorway, about 45 kilometres 120 km/hr and 25 km with 80 and 100 km/hr. One way so 130 km per day.

One day i even drove 130 km/hr (as is allowed) both ways.

After filling up i was very curious what the fuel consumption would be (i knew it wasn't that bad because i already had 700 km on the odometer.)

To my great surprise it was 19.37 km per litre (54.70 mpg).

I'm amazed at how economical this car is!

#97 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,608 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

No doubt in thanks to all the cack you have removed and all of the effort you have put in to loose the weight and the useless systems!

#98 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Did remove some useless stuff (DPF, Cat and EGRpipe/cooler) Not much weight removed otherwise.(I think i replaced the removed weight with other stuff, bag with some tools and oil and spare bulbs in it in the boot)  

I think it's more because of the mechanical impact of the removed/disabled parts that the mpg stays that good even at higher speeds.

Must say i still want to test the same without the powerbox, think the mpg will be a lot lower then but at this point that's only a assumption.

I was planning on running the car without the powerbox in winter (outside temps under 0 degrees) to save the IP the extra stress of having to compress the cold, thick diesel to an extra high pressure because of the powerbox.

But i'm not yet convinced that will be necessary, at the moment i'm measuring my fuel temperature when it exits the fuelfilter. I can see that at the moment the temperature of the fuel will rise about 5 to 12 degrees above beginning (outside temp after a night on the driveway). This is with outside temps ranging from 10 to 20 degrees outside.

I will let the extra temp gauge (just a simple outside temp gauge with the sensor made to fit the outside curve of the fuelline and attached with some tyraps and some foam  to insulate the sensor and not let it be influenced by radiated heat from the engine.) sit till it gets really cold so i can see if the fuel still rises the same amount.

Did see that turning the powerbox up 1 turn resulted in a rise of 2 degrees extra in fuel temp.

Didn't expect the fuel to rise this much by the way but this proves the splashpot in the tank works.

#99 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Little sidetour.

Bought 4 steel rims with wintertires, second hand, 2 tires with 5 mm, 2 with 6 mm left. 185/60-14, one inch smaller compared to my current wheels  but the size Ford says will be ok.

Looked for 15 inch but these were almost a steal so couldn't let them go.

Have to get them this Sunday.

Went to the scrapyard after work, got some wheelnuts for steel rims and also found some hubcaps, 2 different styles, 2 of each but all from Ford. Will have to look for a matching set but for now they'll do.

(And yes, there are 17 wheelnuts but that's better than 15 ;) )

Attached Thumbnails

• CAM01351.jpg
  • CAM01352.jpg

#100 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Got my winter wheels today, drove 400 km to get them but as said, they were cheap and i don't mind a bit of driving.

Not the best tires on them, 2 Maxxis presa snow wintermaxx and 2 Trayal T-200. If i look them up on internet they don't get really good reviews but we'll see, i'm not a racer so i'm curious to see how they work.

And if they don't work like i would like i will get some other tires, the price i paid for the complete rims and tires is about the same as they ask for just steel rims on internet.

The lowest mpg in the meantime was 1 litre per 18.1 km. (51,1 mpg) Not bad but the outside temps are dropping so i expect an even lower mpg in the next weeks.

#101 Gombal

Gombal

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Long time nothing done, to busy and to cold.

Today gave the car a good wash, the first in 8 months. Almost forgot how the original color looked like..............what a difference!

Also vacuumed the inside, it looks like an other car now.

Also put the rear mudflaps back on, the rearbumper was getting very dirty without them so for the winter they will keep it a bit cleaner.

Also looking at a Mercedes again, a W201, 190D. It's in the same roadtax rate as the Fusion but a lot more reliable in the long run.

Plus i miss the ease of maintenance of the Benz. everything well thought of, not just randomly picked together like the Ford.

And believe it or not, also the prices for all the replacement parts and maintenance are a lot cheaper as the Ford's, especially because i do everything myself.

So i hope to switch cars in the coming months if i can find a good one that's really to my liking.

Won't be doing new things to the car till i know for sure what i want.

#102 Gabbo_21

Gabbo_21

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Focus Sport TDCI
  • Year: 2011

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users