Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lpg (Autogas) Converstion

James Rosier

Hi all!

I was thinking the other day when filling up with fuel and i noticed next to me an LPG Pump at 40.8p a litre!!

It got me thinking, is it worth it and how good is it?

Iv done abit of research on it and was wondering if anyone els has heard or know anyone that has done an LPG conversion on any focus/ford/car etc...

I have a 1.0 ecoboost and getting around 45-47MPG plus and LPG tank....

Just curious...

Anyone els?

James

why didnt you but diesel if you want range and MPG?

because i wanted the 1.0 ecoboost... im not complaining im just curious

Have a look at www.lpgforum.co.uk

Basically the advantages are that it's cheap (obviously) and it's clean burning meaning that it's very kind to engines especially turbos, when I did an oil change on an LPG powered winch the oil was almost as clean as when it went in!

Disadvantages are that you will lose boot space if the tank is mounted there. LPG delivers a bit less power and MPG than petrol. Starting from cold on LPG can be tricky, a duel-fuel setup is a must. Expect 200-300 miles per tank. Still not many garages sell it.

Conversions are quite cheap now and can be had for as little as a grand. Find a reputable installer, there's a lot of cowboys around.

WOW, 40.8p per litre !!! Thats MEGA cheap. I've had a few cars converted, not had a ford done though. The tank on modern conversions would normally be fitted into the spare wheel well, meaning the spare would have to live in the boot. I found the cars ran smoother and quiter on LPG. There use to be a difference in power, but as the systems become more up to date, there is very little difference, to the point you wouldn't notice. MPG is slightly less, but at the price you mentioned, its still a no brainer lol. Normal costs of LPG are roughly half the cost of petrol, hence big savings on fuel costs. Only thing to take into acount is the initial cost of instalation,,,,, make sure you plan on keeping the car long enough to re-coup the fitting costs. And always go for the best system you can afford, and be SURE the fitter is supplying a certificate of safety/fitting, as you will need this for insurance purposes. Other than that, If I were to ever wonder back to the petrol world, I would have an LPG system fitted again, without hesiatation.

WOW, Normal costs of LPG are roughly half the cost of petrol, hence big savings on fuel costs. >>>Only thing to take into acount is the initial cost of instalation<<<,,,,, .

With the conversion costing £1000+ it means it may take several years and/or an astronomical mileage to "break even" never mind save money - how far can you get on £1000 worth of regular fuel? = Approx 8000 miles (based on 50mpg/ 138ppl)

If saving money is the reason for fitting an LPG conversion

Focus engines are notoriously unreliable after lpg tge 1.0 wasnt designed for it so i doubt it would like it

my opinion would be not to convert to LPG. the engine will never run the same again.

you will have to do mega miles to recoupe the costs. we calculated it when i worked at jaguar leeds for a 2.0 v6 x-type that you would have to do 300,000 miles ON TOP of the mileage on the car at time of conversion. we factored the cost of converting to run on LPG, the costs involved in fueling it with petrol AND LPG, costs visiting the dealer for EML diagnostics, aswell as servicing costs for BOTH the petrol and LPG fuel systems.

do your research and factor in ALL the costs fitting it and running it. dont just think because the fuel is cheaper it must be worth it.

The ecoboost uses ti vct technology i cant see lpg working with that system just through the mechanics of it round my way the nearest lpg garage is now a 48mile round trip even then the pumps usually empty

• 7 years later...

For it to be converted you need multi point injection. If your car is direct injection LPG can not be done. Ive checked with a mechanic he said the new ford fiesta 2017+ are direct injection and cannot have an lpg conversion.

11 hours ago, petrolhead2021 said:

For it to be converted you need multi point injection. If your car is direct injection LPG can not be done. Ive checked with a mechanic he said the new ford fiesta 2017+ are direct injection and cannot have an lpg conversion.

Odd how new members have a talent of digging up threads that are years old (2013!), still welcome to the forum...

Oh, I have run an LPG car for 2 years (a Mercedes C240), and I have nothing but praise for it, especially the smug look I had in the garage on paying £30 for a full tank of fuel!

33 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Odd how new members have a talent of digging up threads that are years old (2013!), still welcome to the forum...

I can only assume they find the threads through Google...they're certainly not finding them through the Forums own search function! :laugh: 

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2013 at 11:45 AM, James Rosier said:

Hi all!

I was thinking the other day when filling up with fuel and i noticed next to me an LPG Pump at 40.8p a litre!!

It got me thinking, is it worth it and how good is it?

Iv done abit of research on it and was wondering if anyone els has heard or know anyone that has done an LPG conversion on any focus/ford/car etc...

I have a 1.0 ecoboost and getting around 45-47MPG plus and LPG tank....

Just curious...

Anyone els?

James

So, was the car converted or not?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bol said:

So, was the car converted or not?

You do know the original poster hasn't even visited the site for 7 years?? Maybe the conversion blew up his car and he perished in the ensuing inferno! 🤣

Just asked.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club