SeanW

Serial Poster

• FOC Supporters
  • 452 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I've got a 1.8 petrol and get anything from 25-30 mpg around town and usually around the 40ish mark on motorways at 70. Did get 45+ going through the 50 zones. Don't ask about the nice twisty country roads - too much fun to care :-D

It's certainly not a city car! But then, that always gives the excuse for an Italian Tune Up :-P

It eats the motorway miles quite happily.
(My last car was a 1.2 Punto which actually returned similar mpg figures)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 frostman83

frostman83

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

In my 1.6 zetec I get 33/34 with half town driving and half a roads.

#18 jon200

jon200

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mistral

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

To give all the helpful people who replyed an update - i have purchased an 11 plate 1.8 Focus Zetec.

Very happy with the car indeed, and very glad i opted for this rather than a 1.6.

Thanks for all your replies.

#19 rich57

rich57

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8
  • Year: 2008

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

I was in this same position about a year ago . . . I had a 1.6 Zetec Mk1 and wanted a bit more power so in the end decided to change to a Mk2 1.8 Zetec rather than another 1.6. I have to agree with the comment that it’s not a city car and is not the most economical car, but I think its horses for courses, I travel less than 4 miles to work and do about only 8,000 miles a year so it was not a big issue for me.

After I decided on a 1.8 it took me over 3 months to find a good condition low mileage one, I lost count of the number of used car salesman who told me there was hardly any difference in a 1.6 and a 1.8, just may have had something to do with the fact they had lots of 1.6’s on the forecourt and no 1.8’s of course  :angry:   

I have 2008 1.8 Zetec and its certainly more lively than the 1.6 and I have been very pleased with it and have had no problems with the car, my only slight niggle (and this is not engine related) are a few rattles and creaks from the interior trim, but I am presently on a mission to try and sort these :)

Update: sorry guys - just realised I did not explain whether I was talking about petrol or diesel - I was talking about petrol, which is what my 1.8 is.

#20 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

as far as it goes theres little difference between the 1.6 ti vct and the 1.8 other than the ti vct has higher power at lower revs cheaper tax and better mpg which is the reason why many dont buy the 1.8 yes its livelier than a standard 1.6 but you would have saved some cash taking the ti vct but its all up to each person having had a 1.8 i find the 1.6 ti vct livelier than the 1.8 was not by much but if youre happy then thats all that matters

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,076 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

I believe the statements about there being loads of 1.6 models being for sale speaks volumes.
It pretty much shows that once you opt for a 1.8 you become very reluctant to give it up.
Tax and running costs may be marginally higher but the driving experience offered far outweighs any negative points.

#22 ZetecShearer1987

ZetecShearer1987

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 140 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec Petrol
  • Year: 2010

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I have owned both a 1.6 and 1.8, albeit the 1.8 was a mk1.5, i found the 1.8 to have marginal performance around town but on the open road you needed to get the revs up to see a performance increase, however the fuel economy did become a bit of a issue as mine did drink alot, i now own a 1.6 mk2.5 and this previous experience of owning a 1.8 made me choose the 1.6 100bhp i couldnt afford the 1.6 ti-vct model, but tit does sound like a cracking little engine.

Is the 1.6 ti-vct similar to the old ford puma 1.7 vct as that too was a great engine, having also owned a puma a few years back, it was my favourite driving car to date.

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yes its the same engine in 1.6 form if im honest i think the reason theres less 1.8s is the 1.6 was fords best selling engine new tax rules meant everyone downgraded and opted away from the 1.8 round my way they go cheap cos no one wants to pay the tax on them the 1.6 has a higher resale value up here as its easy to sell the 1.8 was a good engine though

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users