Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

scotthunter

Round Thing On Dashboard???

18 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what the small round thing on the dashboard of my car is? It's a bit annoying as it reflects on the windscreen.

Can you be more specific...?

It looks like a small dome, about half an inch in diameter, in the middle near the back.

Is it maybe a screw cover or where the reciever for sat nav is housed?

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the wrong thing.

Picture? It might be the ambience sensor for the auto headlights

If its the small dome in front of the windscreen air vent it's to do with the climate control

It's the sun loading sensor for automatic climate control.

Is it the perimiter sensor for the alarm?

It looks like a marble cut in half and is situated right at the back of the dashboard directly beneath the windscreen. My car doesn't have SatNav but it has the standard Fiesta Metal equipment including climate control and extras inc. Sony DAB and Push Button Start.

Perhaps another Metal owner could shed some light on this?

It is as stoney says there was a big thread not too long ago about the exact same thing I just couldnt think what we figured out it was haha

The picture is da proof. :d

It is definitely the solar sensor for Climate Control. Many fords have/had them....

Jim

It is definitely the solar sensor for Climate Control. Many fords have/had them....

Jim

Oh, what does that do? It sounds a bit complicated. What's wrong with the old fashioned hot/cold dial?

IIRC it detects if the sun is shining and if so enhances the aircon cooling to counteract the 'greenhouse effect' heating the car.

Jim

IIRC it detects if the sun is shining and if so enhances the aircon cooling to counteract the 'greenhouse effect' heating the car.

Jim

So do you need to press the Auto button for it to work? Still haven't figured out how it all works. Would be nice if the A/C turned itself off once the cabin cools to a certain temperature.

Don't know about the fiesta but on the Mondeo the handbook recommends leaving the Climate Control in Auto all the time. It will switch itself on and off as needed...

Jim