fiestaguy001

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: joe
  • Ford Model: fiesta
  • Year: 2006

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Hi

Iv got some problems with my ABS module on fiesta 06 style. I need to remove the abs module but I don't want to open up the break line pipes. can anyone advise me how I may go around separating the metal block from the plastic abs module. I need to send it for repair before MOT due...

ive added picture to show where I am at this stage of the repair.

Many thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1063.jpg

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

Too much time on the boards

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame Mk6
  • Year: 2004

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

I would say you will have to unscrew the brake lines anyway, just be sure to put bungs in the end or caps over the top to prevent any leakage, you will have to give it a pump anyway so there will be no worries regarding bleeding the system if that is whats holding you back.

#3 fiestaguy001

fiestaguy001

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

so I have to remove all the black pipes to get to the screws? im just worried its going to start leaking brake fluid everywhere. I am a newbie at this stuff. from the picture are you able identify if the brake lines are the only thing preventing me to separate the abs module from the metal block?

#4 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

so I have to remove all the black pipes to get to the screws? im just worried its going to start leaking brake fluid everywhere. I am a newbie at this stuff. from the picture are you able identify if the brake lines are the only thing preventing me to separate the abs module from the metal block?

I would say that to remove the metal section from the ABS module you will have to completely dismember it anyway, tire dust caps are a good way to cover the lines otherwise go to halfords or a local motor factor and get a set of them, they are usually just rubber plugs that fit over the end of the pipe, just dont touch the brake pedal or you will have a nuclear disaster in there. If you take the whole lot out it will be easier for you, it may take a few minutes longer and seem like a trouble but i never do any DIY the quickest way, if its worth doing its worth doing properly.....

#5 fiestaguy001

fiestaguy001

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hi nathnan

Thanks for your replies. If I undo the 5 nuts the unit will come off? I just need the plastic ABS unit to send off. If you look at the picture there are two bolts housing the abs module n pump units. I was thinking of unscrewing them but still getting access to remove just the abs module is difficult. tight space.

#6 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

That sounds about right, i have said remove the lines all along as it removes the risk of leaking fluid everywhere when you do take the ABS module off, also an additional step would be to take the brake/clutch fluid cap off when you come to put it back together and leave it loose on the bottle to remind you to check the level before finishing up, you will probably need a small bottle of fluid to complete the job later in anyway, make sure you have all you need before you start or it will just be a nightmare.

#7 fiestaguy001

fiestaguy001

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hi Nathan & everyone

Update: managed to get the ABS controller out, did what you said took the metal pipes off the ABS metal block/pump thing. Now can send the ABS controller. Bad thing cant drive to work! the break doesn't work :S the pedal goes all the way down to the floor. If I keep pumping the break then it goes stiff but then soon after goes all the way down to the floor... whats going on? :S I thought you can drive without the ABS plastic controller unit.

#8 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hi Nathan & everyone

Update: managed to get the ABS controller out, did what you said took the metal pipes off the ABS metal block/pump thing. Now can send the ABS controller. Bad thing cant drive to work! the break doesn't work :S the pedal goes all the way down to the floor. If I keep pumping the break then it goes stiff but then soon after goes all the way down to the floor... whats going on? :S I thought you can drive without the ABS plastic controller unit.

I wouldnt sit pumping the pedal you will end up loosing fluid from the side you just took apart, and no the system cant be fully pressurised with the ABS module missing so there will not be enough pressure to push the fluid, get your brogues out and stroll to work this week, haha.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users