Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Housing Help

jeebowhite

OK so, I know we have a great meetings of minds here, so hopefully someone, somewhere can help!

We have recently decided that we need to get out into the big wide world and get a family place of our own, currently we are living with the better halves parents, four adults and two children in (what is in essence) a 2 bed property with not much more than a large wardrobe of a room off the back of our bedroom. The time has come that we really need to break out and could do with it being a relatively quick embarkment, but things are against us.

It seems that to do anything you need a mahoosive amount of money to start (be it renting, or buying, mass deposits are a minimum). Whilst however, we could probably build save funds in the interim to build a deposit / agent fee's, it seems that something is against us! My credit score has swung relatively quickly from Very Good / Excellent to poor over the last few months. I suspect this is down to a few standard factors, inclusive of taking out a contract phone, and requiring a small 0% interest 'loan' / finance to purchase some medical gadgetries. All my payments go out on time, and none come back less than satisfactory for my various forms of credit, but I suspect that because I have asked for a cheaper answer over the last few months, this is the reason that my score is now dull and no longer as shiny as it once was. it would save me more money over the long term, but seems to have distabilised my credit rating in the short term. I have no doubt that this will recover over the next few months, however I would hope to leave in the next few months!

The problem is I don't want to gamble £300 odd quid on an agent doing a credit check, to find I am only a few points shy of their minimum level, but I could do with some help in the immediate term.

I work, and bring home a relative wage for the financial climate, but don't have sufficient saved to pay the deposit. Local "rent bond" schemes offered by councils mean you have to be unemployed to be accepted outright, however, you need to be threatened with / evicted to become immediately under there care, and we have a certain area of the local region that we need to be in for work purposes, and my sons education, so we cant really be offered the councils only offer, around 30 miles away (as their 'homeless' policy states) and I would hope we don't need to get to that answer.

We could manage on our own but its the credit score that is the short term concern...

Has anyone found themselves in a similar position, and what was the outcome that you achieved and how? Ideally we would like to get a place of our own much sooner rather than later, but we would want some sort of guarantee of tenancy (none of this "I'm bored, I want my house back to give to the dog, therefore you have 3 days to get out!" melarky) but we do however know that we will never get the perfect house, at the perfect price, through an agency without the risk of £300 lost immediately.

So - whats your thoughts? what could I do to allow myself to get a roof over my head, without having to be evicted / sacrifice my job to get further assistance, and how have you managed this yourselves if you have been in a similar position?

Also for reference, My dear wife is a full time mother, and has no career, so it is entirely down to my income to maintain the family...

All serious thoughts are welcome :)

How old are your kids if you dont mind me asking? Id say your best bet is to apply to the council claiming that your current living arrangements are over crowded if it is just a 2 bedroom house and theres effectively 6 people sharing. My credit rating took a nose dive a while ago basically because my credit card was right at its £5500 limit for ages so I set about getting that amount cut down aswel as paying off store cards etc also settling any loans as quick as I can. My credit rating has rapidly improved. The best thing to do is go to creditexpert.com and it basically lets you know exactly whats affecting your credit rating and how to improve it. Its free for the first month then £15 a month or something after that but you can opt out if you like it is realy handy though. It also helps you find credit to match your needs

Credit Expert is the one I just got my report from, they say at the moment its just because of a few applications in a short period of time, as everything else is satisfactory...

The kids are too young unfortunately, they dont count as one person either or both of them at this time :(

Council is the next approach to see what they say. thankfully my overall debt is only just over 10k, of which 9k is an arranged loan, and the rest is credit cards / health test machine that I need...

Can you actually remove credit searches and things from your credit report, or do you need a specific reason to be able to do so.

Not as far as im aware. I believe it stays on your record for a year although I might be wrong. Its only been this last year or so that ive realy started paying attention to credit ratings etc. Im sure you'll still get a decent points score on the council list because you're a couple with children staying with parents.

yes get on the local council/housing association waiting list.ASAP.

i know times have changed now,but when i lived at home my girlfriend moved in with me,it was a very big 4 bed detached house.

the council guy came round asked a few questions,like do we have our own kitchen/bathroom/living room.and as we replied no.he said we were able to go on the live list for a flat.about 18mths later we were given a 2 bedroom flat.to the amazement of my parents.

Too many credit searches in a short period make creditors think you're desperate and will impact on your score.

The best thing is to avoid any credit checks for 4 - 6 months and the score will even out.

If you look in local papers st private rents rsther than agencies then the money you'd pay for a credit check will usually cover your deposit.

The only thing after that would be first/last month payments they usually insist on.

You may be able to make a deal to pay the last month rent over a few installments rather than in one big wodge.

Thanks Guys,

We have been on the councils list now for the best part of 4 or 5 year, still no improvement! rather irritating really...

As for the credit score, I know that moving forward with no credit checks is the best idea to even out, I have also noticed that I have a credit account that I dont use, so have contacted them to have it closed, maybe that will improve the points a little bit!

Were keeping an eye out at all opportunities, I just think that living with the parents has become a tad too difficult for us all, too many people in too small a space! irritating though that the councils dont see you as having two children means anything at all until they are at least 5! Maybe they think that you can let them sleep in a closed drawer in the chest in your bedroom?

Keeping an eye out on things anyway, the difficulty now though is if we get a place in the next month or so, then I am going to have to apply for utilities, wont these companies do credit score checks as well? in which case, will that knock me back?

If you opt for prepay meters you pay a little bit more but afaik no credit checks and they can't refuse you water by law.

Virgin do credit checks but Sky don't.

Yeah as far as TV is concerned, I plan on freeview, otherwise phone lines I am looking if all else fails to just use my small contract to get by in the interim... Otherwise I will email providers like Talk Talk and see if they do a credit check, if not I will go with them :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club