Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Ecoboost Groan When Reversing

jd_james

Just as an FYI the B5 and IB5 has no synchro on reverse, which is why it won't always mesh right when you try and select reverse. Put it back in neutral and lift the clutch to spin the input shaft then try reverse. It should go in then. As for the groan this is common with any reverse gear on any manual car. Reverse gear uses straight cut teeth but forward gears use curved(helical) gears.

Also any Fiesta with a 5spd will do this, whether it be a '95 Endura mk4 or a brand new Ecoboost Titanium X.

Just as an FYI the B5 and IB5 has no synchro on reverse, which is why it won't always mesh right when you try and select reverse. Put it back in neutral and lift the clutch to spin the input shaft then try reverse. It should go in then. As for the groan this is common with any reverse gear on any manual car. Reverse gear uses straight cut teeth but forward gears use curved(helical) gears.

Also any Fiesta with a 5spd will do this, whether it be a '95 Endura mk4 or a brand new Ecoboost Titanium X.

Not the groan I had since my new clutch does not do this.

I don't know much about cars but they explained that it was something within the core of the clutch.

As far as the reverse is concerned you do know after driving forwards you're supposed to leave it 5-10 seconds to let the engine wind down before going into reverse else it will crunch?

Release bearings and thrust bearings can get noisy too. Don't affect performance, just sound annoying and affect fords like anything too. Mine does it, which means I end up having my foot on the clutch all the time...

As far as leaving the engine to settle. 1 second is the most you need really. 10 will just end being an inconvenience and you'll look like somebody who passed their test that morning. As said before. If it doesn't want to go in. Just lift the clutch in neutral to spin everything and try again.

• 1 year later...

My Wifes Fiesta is having this issue now it started a few weeks ago, straining noise in reverse got it into ford today, and said they have had a few Mondeo EcoBoost owners contact them with the same noise and issue.

• 8 months later...
On 17/06/2013 at 11:31 PM, jd_james said:

Anyone else experienced this ?

Had the car for a few months and always had it just don't sound very nice lol

Jut slotting it into reverse and pulling away it groans and groans.

My car is brand new 2015. I hear groaning on reverse. It sounds the same as when my mum's cars brake was seized. Has been back into garage twice and they are unable to work out what's causing as it appears to be a new fault? Also it jumps out of reverse a lot.  They found a fault with reverse gear and changed it but is doing it again. Hill assist is faulty and brakes stick on causing terrible clutch burning smell. Going back in Thursday 

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

My car is brand new 2015. I hear groaning on reverse. It sounds the same as when my mum's cars brake was seized. Has been back into garage twice and they are unable to work out what's causing as it appears to be a new fault? Also it jumps out of reverse a lot.  They found a fault with reverse gear and changed it but is doing it again. Hill assist is faulty and brakes stick on causing terrible clutch burning smell. Going back in Thursday 

If reverse jumps out then it wasn't in properly in the first place. As has been mentioned, the 5 speed box has no synchro on reverse so it will be more difficult to engage. You need to make sure you are at a complete standstill and hold the clutch down a couple of seconds before engaging reverse. If it still won't go in I used to pump the clutch then it would be fine.

You soon get used to feeling when it has and hasn't gone in properly.

Hopefully the dealer can fix the hill assist though :)

I've had three Fiestas; 06, 09 and 13.   All of them have had problems getting into reverse gear.   Often thinking it's in gear but getting a grinding noise and finding it's not properly in gear.   My wife's Focus does it too.   On the latest one, the 13, I always get a burning smell when reversing.   I've only done 550 miles since I bought it so I might just take it back and query it with Fords.

I have had occasional gearbox/clutch issues as well. A hill start (in reverse recently) caused some interesting noises. In the past the gears have often become quite odd when changing from to third, the usual smooth action not being the case and sometimes nearly ending up in 1st.  These issues mostly (although not always) seem to occur if I have not used the car for a few weeks due to being away for work.

I have had my fiesta for 8 months and is 2-3 days from being one year old, i need to know asap so i can get it into ford, is the clutch covered for 1 year or the 3 years and 60K?

it has done 12600 miles and i have had the issue for over 10K miles now it is very annoying.

all other comments about the growning is exactly what i am experiencing.

1: Will ford deal with this issue?

2:what is at fault?

3: how long do they warrant that fault for?

Please respond ASAP.

Cheers,

Adam

Just noticed that my car is over 1 year old... was registered on the 27th of may :(.

Hope this issue is warranted for more than one year.

cheers,

Capture.PNG

Clutch has no fixed warranty term.

It will only be replaced if it is agreed to be a manufacturing defect. (Which can be done outside of warranty anyway).

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

Clutch has no fixed warranty term.

It will only be replaced if it is agreed to be a manufacturing defect. (Which can be done outside of warranty anyway).

thank god, was freaking out their lol.

so would it be a issue that ford are aware of and ware fixing??

I haven't heard of the groaning issue myself, so no idea on that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

I haven't heard of the groaning issue myself, so no idea on that one.

ok, thanks anyway Alex.

There might be a TSB for it, in which case they'll have it in and carry out whatever work is in the TSB.

Just be prepared to jump through a few hoops, it's not usually the dealers fault, but as Ford are picking up the warranty bill they will expect a certain sequence of actions and work to be carried out first, before they'd entertain covering the cost of a clutch. (unless there is a known batch of bad clutches).

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

There might be a TSB for it, in which case they'll have it in and carry out whatever work is in the TSB.

Just be prepared to jump through a few hoops, it's not usually the dealers fault, but as Ford are picking up the warranty bill they will expect a certain sequence of actions and work to be carried out first, before they'd entertain covering the cost of a clutch. (unless there is a known batch of bad clutches).

Ok, sounds like fun but at lease i'm not paying lol.

my list of issues is getting bigger so i am going to get them all written down and go in to speak with the tech engineers so that i can have it all looked at in one go even if i'm without a car for a week or so.

cheers for your help Alex.

• 6 months later...

i have a 2013 ecoboost and have the whining in reverse. its been back to the dealer 3 times and has had the master cylinder changed and a new clutch but it is ok for a Cpl of days then the noise is back.. I have been reading your comments in above posts and seems its common across fiestas but seems no one can tie it down to a specific part ..yes I get burning smell and sometimes it pops out of gear.

ford dealer seems to be stuck now and is asking ford technical ...was there any recalls for this year of car. could it be an issue with the gearbox ?

On 19/06/2013 at 0:32 AM, Ohhhbai said:

I also have issues getting into reverse gear, sometimes taking several attempts. This a caused me to grind the clutch several times thinking the car is in gear when it's not...

Have you experienced is too?

This has been a problem with the last three Fiestas I've had - 06 - 09 and 13 plate.   It's a fault in the gearbox.   You have to make absolutely sure that the car is in reverse gear before pulling away.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have the Fiesta ST-Line 140ps with just over 2,000 miles on the clock. I have noticed this strange, high pitched groaning/whirring sound whenever I try to move in reverse. It's a lot worse when trying to reverse on a hill. 

I've been told it could be something in the differential. 

In regards to the issues people have been having with putting their cars in reverse, it's just a Ford thing. Just come to a complete stop with the clutch down and slide it into reverse slowly and calmly. 

I will say this, sometimes when I do reverse, the gear stick seems to get somewhat stuck in the reverse position and requires quite a bit of effort to get back out again. Not sure what that can be?