Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

jd_james

New Fiesta Ecoboost Groan When Reversing

30 posts in this topic

Just as an FYI the B5 and IB5 has no synchro on reverse, which is why it won't always mesh right when you try and select reverse. Put it back in neutral and lift the clutch to spin the input shaft then try reverse. It should go in then. As for the groan this is common with any reverse gear on any manual car. Reverse gear uses straight cut teeth but forward gears use curved(helical) gears.

Also any Fiesta with a 5spd will do this, whether it be a '95 Endura mk4 or a brand new Ecoboost Titanium X.

Spot on Jake

Jake90087 likes this

Just as an FYI the B5 and IB5 has no synchro on reverse, which is why it won't always mesh right when you try and select reverse. Put it back in neutral and lift the clutch to spin the input shaft then try reverse. It should go in then. As for the groan this is common with any reverse gear on any manual car. Reverse gear uses straight cut teeth but forward gears use curved(helical) gears.

Also any Fiesta with a 5spd will do this, whether it be a '95 Endura mk4 or a brand new Ecoboost Titanium X.

Not the groan I had since my new clutch does not do this.

I don't know much about cars but they explained that it was something within the core of the clutch.

As far as the reverse is concerned you do know after driving forwards you're supposed to leave it 5-10 seconds to let the engine wind down before going into reverse else it will crunch?

Release bearings and thrust bearings can get noisy too. Don't affect performance, just sound annoying and affect fords like anything too. Mine does it, which means I end up having my foot on the clutch all the time...

As far as leaving the engine to settle. 1 second is the most you need really. 10 will just end being an inconvenience and you'll look like somebody who passed their test that morning. As said before. If it doesn't want to go in. Just lift the clutch in neutral to spin everything and try again.

My Wifes Fiesta is having this issue now it started a few weeks ago, straining noise in reverse got it into ford today, and said they have had a few Mondeo EcoBoost owners contact them with the same noise and issue.