Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 12V Socket Not Working

Mike_P

Hello,

I have recently bought a 2010 Ford Fiesta Edge. The 12V socket (by the handbrake/aux socket) is seemingly not working. The fuse (passenger compartment no. 22) was missing, but replacing this with the correct 20A fuse didn't help at all. I have looked at the Haynes manual but can't find a suitable wiring diagram to search for the sockets earthing point etc.

Any ideas as to what is wrong/what to check next?

Not currently a huge problem, just bugging me having something that doesn't work

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

the only idea i could of had is the fuse... does the fuse you put in work? What i would do is take a fuse of the borad (Same A) and test. This way you are sure the one you test with actually works =). Never had any other problem for this so can't help out much more

As above, make sure it's the right fuse and if dtill no power it could be the socket has become disconnected.

Thanks for the quick replies. I was actually already using an existing fuse of the same rating, thanks for the help anyway.

I may try and remove some trim pieces to get at the connection to the socket tomorrow. Alternatively I presume I could at least test the earth/neutral connection with a multimeter between the socket's neutral and the negative terminal of the battery.

I replaced (well added) the fuse in position 22, 4th row up 6th from left in that photo. Which is the cigar lighter/front power point according to the car's logbook. The one in the photo is stated as "Not Used" in the logbook, I shall see if putting a 20A their works.

Thanks for the link :)

Interesting, the fuse indicated in that photo does exist in my car and is clearly blown, I shall get a replacement tomorrow and see what happens.

Interesting, the fuse indicated in that photo does exist in my car and is clearly blown, I shall get a replacement tomorrow and see what happens.

I bet I know what will happen... ;)

• Like 2

Thanks very much, it is now all working again simply by replacing the correct fuse.

Cheers :)

• 2 years later...

Hi I have a 2012 Fiesta with the same issue, in the handbook it shows 2 positions for the 20A fuse.Fuse 18 (small blade) and Fuse 30 (box type). On checking the car fuse box there is no fuse in position 18, there is a healthy fuse in position 30. There is voltage at the fusebox, but nothing at power socket. Removed side panel, but limited access due to framework. Connections look OK, so looks like a trip to the Ford dealer - inconvenience!!

You sure fuse 30 is ok, how did you check it?

Couldn't find the photo sent to me, so took one myself, the 12V socket fuse is circled in the attached pic. I removed it and sure enough the socket stopped working, replacing it and all is fine.

Fiesta Fuse2.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 18 June 2013 at 1:52 PM, Mike_P said:

Hello,

I have recently bought a 2010 Ford Fiesta Edge. The 12V socket (by the handbrake/aux socket) is seemingly not working. The fuse (passenger compartment no. 22) was missing, but replacing this with the correct 20A fuse didn't help at all. I have looked at the Haynes manual but can't find a suitable wiring diagram to search for the sockets earthing point etc.

Any ideas as to what is wrong/what to check next?

Not currently a huge problem, just bugging me having something that doesn't work

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi I had the same problem checked the fuse which was ok so I pulled the gear lever shroud off pulled it over gear knob and I could see the wire had fallen off back of 12v socket put it back on and works fine might be worth having a look.

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem with my ford fiesta zetec 1.25L 2013 . I've had a mechanic check the fuse and it's power supply and both are ok. He did say it could be a wiring problem. Or a malfunction in a relay!!! I was a little surprised to hear that there is a relay in the circuit!!! Is there such a thing? Lifting the gear lever shroud and checking the connections is something I will have a look at!!!

Have a look at the socket itself. Had a few cars that used ciggie chargers for phones and GPS units and the contact pins had lost their "Spring-ness" due to be constantly plugged in unlike a lighter that is only in for a few seconds. You can bend them back so they work with a PLASTIC pick.

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2016 at 1:06 PM, Mike_P said:

Couldn't find the photo sent to me, so took one myself, the 12V socket fuse is circled in the attached pic. I removed it and sure enough the socket stopped working, replacing it and all is fine.

Fiesta Fuse2.jpg

From this picture could anyone tell me which is Fuse number 7 that controls the window washers can’t find a diagram anywhere thankyou

Just a Thought as this happened to me. A sweet paper had got pushed right down inside the socket, therefore no contact with centre pin. Took me a while to find it.