Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Display Staying On ?

Blue4life64

focus mk2.5 2008

we have just noticed the dash display is staying on ? ive disconnected the battery to see if that cleared it, I didn't and not its showing the wrong temp aswell ?

any body know how to correct ?

cheers

The dash display does stay on for a while when you leave the car and lock it up. Its quite normal. Not sure if this is what you are referring too, but I am talking about the milage display ?

yes the mileage display, I've never noticed it staying on before though ? would it drain the battery ?

yes the mileage display, I've never noticed it staying on before though ? would it drain the battery ?

No it wont. Its fine. They all stay on for a good while before shutting off completely and the amount of power required to light that part of the display is tiny.

it stays on whilst the ecu monitors the engine up to 40 mins max no longer than that

Ok thanks for your help

There have been reports from Ford that replacing the stereo with an aftermarket unit causes this, but only some people in Ford seem to know this. I have an aftermarket stereo in mine, and my light stays on 24/7 but I havent had a problem with it. If the car is going to be left unused for a while, either disconnect the battery, or connect a trickle charger (solar powered) just to keep it topped up.

even with the aftermarket stereo if the wires are all the same in the connector the light should still go off most aftermarket stereos require the live and negative to be swapped an easy check is with the ignition off can the stereo be switched on if it can then the wiring is wrong as it should only work with switched ignition the ford one is designed to work for 1 hour but an aftermarket isnt so should switch with the ignition at position 2 only 9 out of ten times the black and red on the ford connector need swapped round to match the aftermarket. the problem with it staying on is the ecu never goes into sleep mode the alarm will not activate correctly either as theres a drain already present and the timer module will burn out causing issues further down the line

In that case mine does in fact stay off with the ignition, so sounds correct, but still leaves the light on, I am not too worried though, my car is driven at least once a day, or at max is left one day unmoved!

• 2 years later...

I to have the same prob and now my ford travelpilot fx navigation system has quit on me. I have check both the fuse in the back of the unit and the one in the board in the pax footwell. I have now pulled the 10A fuse so the display goes off. Any ideas guys ?

• 4 years later...

My wife owns a 2007 focus. After leaving work, all the warning lights came on and speedometer went to zero. Got home and the door locks just clicked. Any ideas?

9 hours ago, Mighty Mouse said:

My wife owns a 2007 focus. After leaving work, all the warning lights came on and speedometer went to zero. Got home and the door locks just clicked. Any ideas?

Different fault altogether from this initial thread. You'd be better of starting a new thread to capture decent responses... 😀

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2013 at 8:35 PM, btmaldon said:

No it wont. Its fine. They all stay on for a good while before shutting off completely and the amount of power required to light that part of the display is tiny.

On 6/20/2013 at 8:35 PM, btmaldon said:

Im currently experiencing the same fault and it is draing my battery resulting in having to jump start it, once started its fine until i leave it again over night, i have been told to disconnect my stereo as this is a common fault which i have literally just done so I'll go back and check later as im in work now. 

8 hours ago, JDicko said:

Im currently experiencing the same fault and it is draing my battery ...

Can you clarify what 'fault' you are having? Is it just that your milometer LCD display remains on for 20 to 40 minutes after switch off (which is entirely normal), or a series of warning lights coming on?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JDicko said:

i have been told to disconnect my stereo as this is a common fault which i have literally just done so I'll go back and check later as im in work now. 

The 'common fault' if there is one, is the bluetooth module not fully shutting down which keeps the Canbus system awake which in turn keeps the all the other modules on the canbus network awake. It is very rare that the actual stereo is at fault.

As @StephenFord has said, it is totally normal on your model for the mileage display in the centre of the instrument cluster to remain on for up to 40 minutes after the car is locked. It takes such a tiny amount of power that it would have to be on for a week to make any difference.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/6/2022 at 11:06 AM, unofix said:

The 'common fault' if there is one, is the bluetooth module not fully shutting down which keeps the Canbus system awake which in turn keeps the all the other modules on the canbus network awake. It is very rare that the actual stereo is at fault.

As @StephenFord has said, it is totally normal on your model for the mileage display in the centre of the instrument cluster to remain on for up to 40 minutes after the car is locked. It takes such a tiny amount of power that it would have to be on for a week to make any difference.

So what if you go on holiday for 2 weeks and it stays on?. You'd be screwed when you return I reckon.

I just noticed the same on mine. I just purchased it today. I only stayed in the car for a few minutes though so have yet to see how long it stays on for. I have a 2008 TDCi 1.6 diesel. The stereo does go straight off when you switch the ignition off which I am hoping is a good thing. Will check in an hour or so to see if it is still on.

Getting slightly worried now.

Played this game. Aftermarket stereo loom (looked good quality) kept the canbus alive as it was not wired correctly. However as other have said the dash lights up and will stay that way for between 20 and 40 mins depending on engine temp. The actual draw of the panel is very low however as I didnt now about the feature I delved deeper and found the canbus issue which was indeed causing a parasitic draw. Can also be a bad BCM I believe.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club