Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Economy

speedbirdab

Question to you please

Recently purchased a 60 reg 2l diesel S-max, full service history etc. etc.

I'm getting 39mpg around town and 41mpg on long runs - way below stated figures (not a surprise) but also way below what I got with my previous Galaxy - same size engine, same floorplan, same gearbox.

Is this normal or does it need checking? Tyres are new and fully inflated, no scraping or friction sounds, aircon off, no roof bars or any drag items.

give it another service, I had mine done yesterday at kwik fit with new tyres and new oil / filter / brake fluid and a can of BG44k in there, and its improving, as well as when I replaced the air filter on Wednesday.

my other halfs car on a journey we could only get about the same as you and that was brand new 60 reg,slightly improving now its got about 20k on the clock.

on mine i get a slightly better return but mines got 106k,got just over 500 miles out of a full tank.95 quid to fill it.

my old mk2 galaxy was far better but was only a 115bhp and 1.9ltr (unlike the smax's which are 143bhp and 2ltrs)i used to get over 40 mpg round town and had it up to 60 mpg on a very slow run.

There is a software update (remap basically) that ford dealers have for some of the deisel engines which apparently improves fuel economy.

rubbish isn't it? I'll get it serviced. The Galaxy did improve as the mileage increased - by 50k miles I was getting 50mpg on a run.

• 4 months later...

I have just exchanged my mk4 2.0 tdci Mondeo estate for a 2008 2.0 tdci auto S max and the difference in fuel consumption is quite alarming , the mondeo turned in 43-46 urban and up to 47 on a run. the S max does 36- 38 urban, 40 on a run. I have now started using the sport setting on the car and surprise surprise I am getting 43 -44 around town mainly. I am changing gear far sooner than the auto box and this is keeping the revs down, I find that as long as I can remember which gear I am in, the system works fine, and reminds me of my manual Mondeo which I loved.

• 2 months later...

I wish i was achieving anything close to the numbers you describe.

I took delivery of my new S Max titanium and only getting low 30's on a mix of urban and motorway, no where even close to my previous VW dsg box.