Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S Mountune Short Throw Shifter

ianmarwell

Thinking about investing in the Mountune short throw shifter for a 2012 Fiesta ZS. Is it worth the £100 and will it make that much difference ??

I cannot vouch for a short shifter in a fiesta but I fitted one to my Leon,much cheaper at £40 but even at £100 it would be worth it.

I depends how long the throw is on the stock gearshift - does it feel too long - if you fit an extremely short throw shifter, it can feel "wrong"/ too extreme, often, only the "front/ back" shift is made shorter - side-to-side stays the same, the gearstick can feel too short too

I bought a short-shifter for my Mondeo, i felt it was far too short and just modified my existing stick by shortening it a bit (untill it felt "right") and repositioned the linkage to make a (not too extreme) short shifter

i used a hacksaw to cut about 10/ 15mm off the threads at the top of the gearstick, and drilled the gearknob/ skrewed the knob down lower so it sat lower on the stick, i had to cut/ shorten the lift-up-reverse slider on the stick, and reposition the gearshift cable bracket to shorten the throw (i just raised the bracket as high as i could up the stick without it hitting anything)

This made the gearstick "sit" more forward so i adjusted it at the gearbox end

It sounds more complicated than it is - all i needed was a hacksaw and a skrewdriver (approx £2 in total) -+ the beauty of doing it this way is you can get it how you want it

>>Probably best to leave well alone if you are not experienced at doing things like this though<< for example, you must leave plenty of thread on the top of the stick for the knob to go onto

I came up with the idea for modifing the existing gearstick (into a short-shifter) by looking at the short-shifter i had bought, and realising its basically the same as the stock gearshift but shorter and with the linkage repositioned - both which can be done with the stock one

Mountune say it reduces shift by 15%, some comments I've read say the shift is how the Fiesta should have been made from stock. For £119 is probably worth a dabble.

Mountune say it reduces shift by 15%, some comments I've read say the shift is how the Fiesta should have been made from stock. For £119 is probably worth a dabble.

Ok, you are probably right, they (short shifters) are a very popular mod in the states. I have (had) the old 5-speed mtx75 box and longer throw shift (compared to the ST-TDCI) on my Mondeo, the shorter throw gives a more positive shift and if im trying to get a fast shift im less liable to "miss" a gear (bring the clutch up before ive put it proparly in gear )

Yes, it does feel nicer (slicker/ more positive) to change gear

In terms of actual performance it probably only shaves a couple of tenths off the 0-60mph etc - but for £119 probably worth it - F! teams splash out ££££££s to get a couple of tenths off their times :)

I wonder if it would be accetable to put a Mountune badge on a car just with the Mountune shifter?

I'll give the badge a miss.... ;)

They're excellent, had one on my prefacelift and was a really nice addition.

Unlike my 'everyday' Mini that has practically no shift at all -.-

• Like 1

so whats the point in getting a short shifter? can some one explain?

I'll give it a bash and report back once done.....that's if the Mountune website will let me add one to the basket.

• Like 1

thanks

Are there any up to date Mountune promotional codes out there ?

its on order !

Its arrived and been fitted....

Followed the Mountune instructions very carefully but still managed to snap one of the lugs on the trim which the gator is attached to. Be very careful removing this !!

Fitting is a bit of a chore, usual trim and access problems. Actually lost one of the throw locking nuts. Loosened it off and it vanished into thin air !!!! still cannot find it. Anybody got a spare....this is going to annoy me until I find it!

Throw fitted and all put back together (with 3 nuts). Verdict.....very good. Shifting is obviously reduced. Gear stick sits a little bit lower. Shifting is where you notice the difference. Very positive compared to the factory fitted one. Worth £125....just about.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if the mountune short shifter will affect insurance? If it does buy roughly how much?

It didn't on mine, saying that I never told them.....Only got stung when I done the full upgrade

It didn't on mine, saying that I never told them.....Only got stung when I done the full upgrade

Thanks for that :) I'm going to do the full mountune upgrade but the gear stick travel and height of the stock gear stick really bugs me. Used to driving a Cupra with shorter low travel gear stick

I've just installed the short shift on my Fiesta (gearbox end) and it's does make a difference. I must warn you that it's a bugger to fit.