pont

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: sean
  • Ford Model: focus 5 door 2.0ltr hatch
  • Year: 2001

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi can anybody advise, i have a 2.0ltr 2001 petrol focus,i cant get over 4000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear, and struggles to get over 70, changed plugs due to rocker cover gasket leaking oil into them, and replaced gasket, any idea's i could check my self thanks sean

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Nathan_M

Nathan_M

Too much time on the boards

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Flame Mk6
  • Year: 2004

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

So no Engine light then, I thought that safe mode was about 4k on most petrol fords, perhaps the coil pack is on its way out?Other than something electrical I couldn't suggest anything to be honest.

#3 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 14,914 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

check the instrument cluster with the dashboard trick, make sure that all the bulbs are illuminating and someone hasnt stuck something over the EML.

Sounds like the car is in limp home mode, could be the car has a DPF (rare but can happen) and that is done for. Also it could be as suggested coils and plugs need replacing. Otherwise the car could possibly do with a good service.

#4 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thats interesting - (the EML not coming on)

It may be a good idea to aquire a code reader (about £20 online) and read the fault codes for yourself  

Im fairly sure they did not fit any DPFs (diesel particle/ particulate filters)  to petrol Focuses,-  just catalytic converters

Is the car a recent purchase?

Typical faults are - plugs/ leads/ coil paks, (coil packs are bad for "going" if there is a problem with the plugs/ HT (high tension) leads) lambda sensor/ cat, crankshaft / camshaft position sensors etc etc - best to get the codes 1st but as J says - a good service won't do any harm

Check the breather hoses are not clogged or split, and the pcv valve (positive crankcase ventilation valve) is ok (not gunged up/ sticking) - there may be/ have been a build up of pressure in your crankcase - that caused the leak in the rocker cover gasket , the crankcase breather goes into the engine air intake and if it is split may draw air that is not measured by the MAF sensor, causing lean running, the lean running may have a knock- on effect and can damage the cat

The rocker cover gasket may have been replaced but the reason it "went" may still not be sorted, (if it was because of a pressure build up in the crankcase due to a blocked breather/ hose or sicky pcv valve)

If you get your fault codes read and take it from there 

PS -  is it the 150Hp 2.0L  engine - same as the Fiesta ST150?     

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no power

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users