Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flashing glow plug light and lack of power (intermittent)

thegoose768

Hi, I have a Mk3 Zetec TDCI I have an intermittent problem where, under heavier than normal acceleration, the car gives a slight judder and looses most of its power and the glow plug warning light flashes.

If I stop and turn off the engine and immediately restart it the fault is rectified and I have full power again which will last for days, weeks or months until the car decides to do the same again. This can be dangerous if overtaking.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and a possible solution

Thanks

sounds like the symptons of a crank sensor starting to break down, you need to get the codes read when the plug symble is flashing to confirm what code are stored.

• 2 weeks later...

the egr valves can be cleaned its a messy job so you could try this first but i still suspect a sensor.

• 1 month later...

I have fitted a new cam sensor and still have the same problem, could this be the air flow meter or do I need to get a proper diagnostic check done

Thanks for the advice so far!!

you need to get the codes read when the plug light is flashing as said in earlier post to confirm the fault.

Hello I'm having the same problem as you are ! Let know how this goes.

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if i find anything !

Many Thanks

Ryan

Ok Changed the cam sensor and a full filter and oil change Still has the problem.

So looking at the crank sensor or injectors what ya think ?

My guess would be the air flow meter. The codes should still be stored on the ecu even when the light isn't on. Best to get a code read and that will tell you exactly what the problem is, rather than throwing parts at it.

I can do code reads for all OBD 2 compatible vehicles from £20.

• 2 months later...

Hello an update for all of you.

Yes an injector was the problem. After driving it with the orginal problem for a while the injector finally give up the ghost and i was in limp mode and making a nice racket.

New injector being fitted as i type. will let you know from there on .... Little costly £400 + oops