Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is My Focus Meant To Be This Thirsty?

kevquirk

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I bought a 2009 1.8 Petrol Focus Zetec S and I've noticed since I've had it that it's extremely thirsty when it comes to fuel, I'm currently getting less than 30MPG (around 29.4 according to the dash). I don't go mad, I'm a safe driver, but I do a lot of motorway miles (my trip to work is a 40 mile round trip on motorways). I usually keep it between 70-80MPH and around 3.5k RPM when on the motorway.

So is less than 30MPG normal? Before this I had a Lexus IS220d (2.2 turbo diesel) and I got around 35MPG in that, and before that I had a 1.6 Honda Civic which got around 40MPG. So whilst I wasn't expecting 40MPG like the Civic, I did think I'd be getting more than 29.4.

Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Kev

That doesn't seem that great, although father drives about 20 miles to and from work on A roads here and his 1.8 gets something like 35, check the history to see if plugs and filters have been changed, that might give a little better consumption.

Thanks Nathan,

I'd be happy with around 35, plugs and filters are my next thing but I wanted to check that this wasn't normal before I spend £30 on them. :)

The car got serviced just before I got it by the dealer. God knows if they changed the plugs though. I'll have a look this week.

Thanks again,

Kev

If it was a Ford dealer and a special 99 quid service its literally an oil change and what they call a 40 point check, albeit that it isn't checked at most places as the Masters are too busy making sure that there laptops still work to help them diagnose wheel bearing failure and punctures.

Sounds like the car is due a good service rather than a "were getting rid of it, lets do nothing more than the basics" service.

Change the air filter, and check what they did (should have been oil and oil filter, knowing the dealers this is probably all that was done!)

Check the fuel filter as well, and as mentioned, leads and plugs are a good place to continue your investigations.

Will do, thanks for the great advice guys.

Hello and welcome! - Just to be thorough -

Is it a 5 or 6 speed gearbox?

What size are your wheels/ tyres/ make of tyres/ pressures you run?

Is the car empty apart from the driver?

Do you run aircon/ a lot of electrical items?

Do you get a lot of brake dust on your front wheels?

mines averaging about 30 around town although a 1.6 gets better on motorway runs but after checking the air filter it was full of fluff and leaves the dealer service it had must have been pretty poor the oil filter looks new and theres fresh oil beneath it so im guessing it just had an oil change at least they stamped the book

my average is 24.22 but that is all round town stop and start 2-6 miles a day 6 days a week with a roof bars and a ladder on top

What brand of fuel are you putting in the car?

although mines the ti vct 1.6 around town i get more than that on a motorway at those speeds ide be looking at 40 at least

I'm using the same 95 RON petrol that I've used in all my other cars. I usually go to the local Shell, but I do also occasionally use the local Asda and Sainsbury's.

I'm going to have a look at the filters and plugs this weekend. I'll post back in a few days to let you know how things are...thanks guys.

i wouldnt use the supermarket fuels but yeah seems like an air filter change is needed. you can also try some fuel additive or some Shell v-power to give the system a clean

Hello and welcome!

1.8 petrol owner here and I too was deeply concerned about my mpg stats.

First of all, give it a service yourself, it's a great way to get to know the car and where various bits are.

Secondly, did you reset the comp since you've owned it?

I've been quite religiously resetting my average mpg just to get an average tank figure. Since about August last year, I've seen my average of around 34mpg @

410miles per tank drop to at worst 29mph @370 miles per tank over winter, it's now on its way back up! Funny old thing cold air!

If I was you, after servicing it, give it a tank of the expensive stuff and reset the computer. Your distance to empty wont change as that is non-resetable and takes about 3-4 tanks to start increasing.

Other than that, keep your speed down. 70-80, maybe keeping up with the traffics but you'll also be pushing on in the rev range. Best live MPG figure I got was between 65-70 in top gear and not constantly having my foot on the pedal. More an on and then off and let it cruise.

Oh and just to add this week I bit the bullet and topped up with some VPower Nitro+ for a laugh, after 100 miles computer is giving a solid 38mpg with no change to my driving. Only thing is its been quite warm.

hi and welcome to the forum...

i own a 2010 focus zetec s 1.8 petrol.

you mpg sounds normal for the car... i get about 26mpg but thats short 10min journeys here there and everywhere... the occasional motorways trip and i do like to put me foot down now and again.

you can do all of the above, suggested by other members but i honestly dont see you getting much more..

ive heard the spoiler itself can give you up to 5mpg less lol then take into account the rest of the body trimmings blar blar blar lol

you get the picture...

one of the main things id check first before any of that stuff would be the tyre pressure... obvious but in most cases the main problem.

if it's a 5-speed & you are mostly doing 70-80mph then yes, it'll be thirsty.

I'm averaging ~35mpg in the summer (less in winter) in mixed motoring babying it.

By comparison I came from a heavier Toyota Avensis estate with the same 2.2 turbo-diesel that you had in your Lexus & I would average 42mpg winter/45 summer (on largely motorway work I would get ~55mpg) without having to try.

For high speed motorway work the Focus badly needs that 6th gear for better mpg.

I agree even the ti vct 1.6 needs a sixth gear as well

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club