Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2.0 Cruise Control And Brake Light Bulb Problem

22ssingh

Hi everyone this is my 1st post as I bought a 58 plate ford mondeo 2.0 petrol (lpg converted) yesterday as a 2nd car for my long commute to work, and I've notice 2 problems with it already, 1 is that the cruise control doesn't work, pressing the button does nothing what so ever, and 2nd is that I'm getting a "Stop lamp error"

So I had a look at the brake lights, and when they are on, they both light up but one side was brighter than the other, so I thought the dim one must be on its way out therefor giving the error, so I replaced it with 3 different bulbs all same spec but different manufactures (12v 5w) but its still dim, and still giving the error message. So I took the brighter bulb and checked the spec and its the same as the one I was putting in the car, I then swapped the brighter bulb from the left side to the right and put one of the new bulbs in the left side and the problem reversed, the side that was dim went bright and the brighter side went dim

any ideas? thanks in advance

Welcome to the family!

The cruise control issue may be due to a faulty switch, it could be that the cruise control switch has been disabled by Ford if the previous owner didnt want it. If you have a moddified ELM 327 you can switch it on or off that way, otherwise you may need a trip to a dealer. (where abouts in Kent are you?)

As for the brake light issue, it sounds like you have either a poor earth connection on one side, or possibly water ingress on that light.

Welcome to the family!

The cruise control issue may be due to a faulty switch, it could be that the cruise control switch has been disabled by Ford if the previous owner didnt want it. If you have a moddified ELM 327 you can switch it on or off that way, otherwise you may need a trip to a dealer. (where abouts in Kent are you?)

As for the brake light issue, it sounds like you have either a poor earth connection on one side, or possibly water ingress on that light.

Sometimes when I press the Cruise control button I get a "cruise control is in standby" message which goes away after 1 second, but this only happens once, until I restart the car.

I don't think it can be an earth problem or a fault with the light because when I change the bulbs around the problem switches over too. You know the mk4 Mondeos have 3 lines that look like LEDs when the rear tail lights are on, well on one side they show thorough whilst on the other side they don't, but if I switch the bulbs from left to right the problem switches over too.

Do you know the exact bulb spec that goes in the mk4 mondeo?

Not sure off the top of my head, but if you visit http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ and have a look that should tell you the type of bulbs. Sounds like the bulbs have gone, or at least theres a PCB issue...

As for the cruise control, at what speed do you try to initialize it, and for how long were you at that speed before hand?

Not sure off the top of my head, but if you visit http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ and have a look that should tell you the type of bulbs. Sounds like the bulbs have gone, or at least theres a PCB issue...

As for the cruise control, at what speed do you try to initialize it, and for how long were you at that speed before hand?

Well that site tells me it's a 382 single filament but the Halfords site says it's a 380, and the bulbs that were fitting to the car were 380 I think, but it's really weird that only one of the bulbs work properly no matter what side you put it in. What's a PCB issue?

Well in my Audi Q7 you have to be going at least 30mph so I've been driving at 65 70mph and been driving at that speed for a good few miles, I basically drive 35 miles to work and keep trying whilst driving. I heard there's a button you have press to reset the cruise control, and I also read elsewhere that the cruise control may not work if the brake lights are not fully working, are either of those true?

If they are LED's they they tend to have a Printed Circuit Board that distributes the power to them. I suspect there is a damage on this board.

The cruise should kick in correctly, however you may find that due to my suspicions on the PCB that this may be reporting a CAN error which is causing the cruise control to decide not to put the system in use.

Normally you just need the sensor under the brake pedal to disengage cruise when the brake pedal is depressed, however its likely that this has changed in the later revisions of the mondeo.

If they are LED's they they tend to have a Printed Circuit Board that distributes the power to them. I suspect there is a damage on this board.

The cruise should kick in correctly, however you may find that due to my suspicions on the PCB that this may be reporting a CAN error which is causing the cruise control to decide not to put the system in use.

Normally you just need the sensor under the brake pedal to disengage cruise when the brake pedal is depressed, however its likely that this has changed in the later revisions of the mondeo.

They are not leds, they are just normal bulbs, but the light cluster has 3 lines on it which make them look like leds, and one side lights up but the other side don't which was showing me that bulb was dim on that side.

I really don't know what to try now

so the fault follows the individual bulbs?

Not sure how many bulbs you have or in what formation but take the below as an example....

if you have the bulbs on the RHS work fine in this formation (+ = working, - = dull)

+ + + + + + +

+ + + + + + +

+ + + + + + +

and the LHS looks like this

+ + + + + + +

- - - - - - +

+ + + + + + +

If you take the - bulbs and switch it with the positive, does it then look like this?

+ + + + + + +

- - - + - - -

+ + + + + + +

If you can show some photos that will help :)

so the fault follows the individual bulbs?

Not sure how many bulbs you have or in what formation but take the below as an example....

if you have the bulbs on the RHS work fine in this formation (+ = working, - = dull)

+ + + + + + +

+ + + + + + +

+ + + + + + +

and the LHS looks like this

+ + + + + + +

- - - - - - +

+ + + + + + +

If you take the - bulbs and switch it with the positive, does it then look like this?

+ + + + + + +

- - - + - - -

+ + + + + + +

If you can show some photos that will help :)

As you can see in one of the pics the 3 lines are visible (they look yellow I know but are red in reality, the camera is showing them to be yellow) and in the other side you can't really see the lines, but if I swap the bulbs over the problem follows the bulbs. And I'm getting a bulb out warning in the dash that doesn't go

post-44748-0-45841000-1372441023_thumb.j

post-44748-0-52143300-1372441047_thumb.j

Update: I swapped out the brighter bulb with a spare, and the error on the dash disappeared :-) so I guess it's not meant to be that bright and the bulb that the previous owner put in it must have been the wrong one. But the cruise control still isn't working :-(

OK so one down one to go.

So you get up to speed then press SET and it says standby, or do you press any other button ?

OK so one down one to go.

So you get up to speed then press SET and it says standby, or do you press any other button ?

I don't press set, I press the on button which is on the left side of the steering wheel, and after pressing that very rarely I get a message about "CC is in standby" but it goes after 1 second, but I've never actually got the CC to work

aaah thats probably why then.

If I recall correctly, you need to get to speed, then press the "SET" button. This then sets cruise to work at this speed, then if that doesnt click the cruise control on, then you click the cruise icon, and use the + and - to change the speed accordingly.

Give that a go and see what happens... I think the reason is because there is no speed set, the cruise sits in standby to advise its got no settings to use?

aaah thats probably why then.

If I recall correctly, you need to get to speed, then press the "SET" button. This then sets cruise to work at this speed, then if that doesnt click the cruise control on, then you click the cruise icon, and use the + and - to change the speed accordingly.

Give that a go and see what happens... I think the reason is because there is no speed set, the cruise sits in standby to advise its got no settings to use?

Even when I press set nothing happens. The on button that I was talking about has the cruise control icon on it, so I'm pretty sure that's what I'm meant to press 1st

Very strange...

It sounds like some sort of control issue, perhaps a sensor isnt working correctly.

Have you been able to check the car for error codes?

Where abouts in Kent are you?

Very strange...

It sounds like some sort of control issue, perhaps a sensor isnt working correctly.

Have you been able to check the car for error codes?

Where abouts in Kent are you?

I'm in Rochester, I don't have access to a code reader

I have a couple... I could arrange to meet you somewhere on the way home, we could do a quick scan of your codes to see if you have anything that stands out? could also clear the codes, and see if that makes a difference?

If your interested, drop me a PM.

• 1 year later...

Have you solved your cruise control mystery? I am having exactly the same problems.

Been reading this post and I had similar problem in my Mondeo but I wasn't using correctly. What you need to do is get up to speed, above 30mph press the on button then press the set button and it registers the speed your at and you just use + & - to speed up/down. :-)

• 1 year later...

hi i had this exact same issue with the cruise control. what i did to it sounds very strange but i flicked the switches towards me as i was sitting in the seat almost like i would pluck a guitar string then i blew canned air behind the switches at the same time. it then worked.

but there is obviously an issue with the speed up and slow down function on this model as when i stopped using this function the problem (touch wood) went away completely.

so now when cruise control is active and controlling speed if i wish to speed up i press the accelerator and not the speed up button on the dash and i tap the break to slow down. but then when i am at the speed i want i just press set again and this holds my current speed. this works for speeding up and slowing down. 

this has not fixed the issue but it does allow me to use my cruise control now but i have lost the ability to speed up and slow down without pressing any peddles. this is a small price to pay considering the button cluster costs an arm and a leg.

if i had i had to put a finger on the exact cause of the issue i would say that the button clusters get gunked up when you spray cleaning stuff on the wheel as now i don't spray them anymore they have been much better. if you have the money change the button clusters in my view.

what model do you have?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club