#1 ngreed86

ngreed86

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost
  • Year: 2013

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi! I've just ordered a new fiesta zs ecoboost for me and the wife. We haven't had our own car before and was hoping for a few pointers about insurance. The cheapest quote was Diamond, but there defaqto rating is 3. Does that matter? Also, should I get GAP?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 DanGersFord

DanGersFord

Dan The Gas Man

• FOC Supporters
  • 3,498 posts
  • Name: Daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST3
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Id get a quote from gocompare.com and then take it from there. Take the cheapest quote you get from there as a starting point and then phone up the insurance company thats the cheapest and say right you've quoted me this what can you do for me to get it abit cheaper. You've got to haggle with these insurance companies other wise they'll just rip you off. Dont let them rop you into adding things onto your policy that you wont need they're only trying to drive the price up to maxomise their profit from yoy

#3 minnis

minnis

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: SEAT Ibiza ST 1.2 TSi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

I agree with DanGersFord, but not only GoCompare, use several price comparison sites! Believe it or not, they actually do offer different prices. I personally find confused.com offers the cheapest quotes, but they will usually phone me up the next day to try and sell if I didn't go through with it.

As for GAP insurance, it might be a worthwhile investment. I went for it, and it cost me about £300. Given that my car is now worth about £1000 less, if I need to claim then it'll have saved me £700 already after just over a year. Especially as you're getting a brand new car and depreciation will be much higher, you'll stand to save loads more. Of course, you may not use it at all.

Put simply, if insurance wasn't required by law, would you still buy it? Although you will most likely not use it, would you be prepared to risk it?

#4 ngreed86

ngreed86

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely try and haggle a bit now! Is there anything I need to be wary of with GAP company's on the net? There half the price of the dealers so makes me feel I'm getting a substandard product?

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,612 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

The best bet is to find the best quote as Dan said, and then tell them that via price comparison websites you found a quote with (name another company) who are willing to do it for £100 less. That gets there ears pricked up as they want to make a sale. Then tell them that you have friends who are insured with them who have given positive feedback about the insurer so for that reason, you dont want to go with so-and-so, but really want to see what the best deal is that they will offer you.

I have played this card with Admiral for years, and always get a fantastic price against the renewal price, even if that 'cheaper' quote I provided them was not necessarily 'genuine' :P

Best discount I had so far, was a renewal price of £1280 after my accident, cheapest quote I could find online was about £1150, but I phoned the insurer and told them that I have got a quote for £750. They went away and said that although they couldn't do it for £750, they could do it for about £850. - result. Just saved myself £450!

#6 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,754 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Moved to Fiesta forum.

#7 fordmad12

fordmad12

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 114 posts
  • Name: Terry
  • Ford Model: Ecosport Titanium

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Never buy GAP insurance from the dealer, there are a few on the Internet, here's one I have used..
www.directgap.co.uk, although there are others, just make sure they are Authorised & regulated by the Financial Services Authority, which they have a number for. My GAP from the dealer would've cost about £300, I got mine for £90 (3 years) Other then that, good luck.

#8 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,754 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

As above, I personally think GAP is a good idea, just not from the dealer.

My dad got a quote for the new car he is getting, dealer wanted £395, got a quote from ALA for £110 for the same level of cover.

I bought GAP for my car from there too, for about £100 I think, for 3 years cover, the important thing is just to make sure whoever you choose is FSA authorised & regulated and that you make sure it gives you everything you want in the policy wording/summary.

#9 ngreed86

ngreed86

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is all really good info guys thanks! I'm definitely going to get gap now and hopefully the money I save haggling my insurance will pay for it! One more thing, return to invoice or replacement gap?

#10 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,754 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

It is up to you really, I have always though of replacement a bit pointless - cars depreciate and are unlikely to go up in price considerably during the term of your insurance.

If you just want back the money you paid on the car, go for RTI, if you want to be able to buy a brand new one, regardless of car age, go for replacement

#11 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Name: Kai
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Aviva are pretty awesome at the moment if you do it online (20% off). They're also a 5 star provider.

My fiesta (insurance group 11) cost me ~£785 to insure for a year as a first car, 2 months after passing my test (i'm 23, which helped a bit though). Which was much lower than everything else by about £500. Also, yes, GAP, buy it (it's about £100-150). If you get your car written off, you'll be screwed otherwise unless you have a few grand lying around.

#12 fordmad12

fordmad12

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

This is all really good info guys thanks! I'm definitely going to get gap now and hopefully the money I save haggling my insurance will pay for it! One more thing, return to invoice or replacement gap?

And if your on HP or PCP then Finance/Contract Hire will be a good one, it will clear your outstanding finance etc, because although you owe £xxx on the Actual vehicle, you do have to consider the extra charges on top, ie interest etc.
This is the one I have gone for.

#13 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,596 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

http://www.moneysavi.../car-insurance/

Follow this guide and you can't go wrong ;)

#14 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi, in talking about GAP, you do realise that any insurance policy will have in it that if your car is written off in the first year it will be replaced with a new one...

#15 fordmad12

fordmad12

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 114 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi, in talking about GAP, you do realise that any insurance policy will have in it that if your car is written off in the first year it will be replaced with a new one...

Not every insurance does, but worthwhile checking anyway. But paying a low premium for 3 years on GAP is still money well spent.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users