Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

Hi, I believe this is written into all fully comp insurance unless they explicitly say otherwise, however, as it is within the normal cost of a premium, who'd pay GAP for year you don't need?.Of course third party fire and theft will not have this but who'd get that on a new car anyway?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,023 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi, I believe this is written into all fully comp insurance unless they explicitly say otherwise, however, as it is within the normal cost of a premium, who'd pay GAP for year you don't need?.Of course third party fire and theft will not have this but who'd get that on a new car anyway?

You have to buy your GAP policy within about 3-6months of buying the car and it still gives you the cover in case your insurance is a total PIA.

In my case, my car was through Ford direct so has just fallen out of the under 12 months thing :)

#18 Yokomoko

Yokomoko

Settling In Well

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Name: adam
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium
  • Year: 2013

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I got my Gap insurance from ALA (from the Autotrader website), same cover as Ford was giving me for £70, instead of Ford £395!!! I knew the dealer was trying to pull a funny when he was forcing it on me. 

I was halfway through my insurance at Elephant, new quotes were stating £300 less, I applied to change my car online with Elephant and they said they would be INCREASING my premium by £96, naturally I complained, and got £100 off the original premium (so £195 off) and a 20% discount if I stay next year. I said to them that I could cancel my insurance with them, get the money back that I had already paid (minus the months insured on my old car), and then go to a new insurer and still have a few quid leftover. I also told them to get rid of the auto-renew that was on my insurance as I was disgusted with their service (their auto-renew quotes have always been competitive in the past).

#19 MrKnoe

MrKnoe

Settling In Well

• FOC Supporters
  • 92 posts
  • Name: Kane
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S Ecoboost

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

MoneySupermarket give the cheapest insurance I checked over all comparison sites and compared all the quotes over differemnt windows with all the same details and they were cheapest by the most of near £150! highest quote was from CompareThemarket definatly ring up the cheapest or even the second cheapest and say you have had a cheaper quote and see if they can beat it!

#20 ngreed86

ngreed86

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Nick
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for all your help! I picked up the car yesterday and ended up going through my bank (natwest) who were the cheapest if the 5* defaqto brands - I didn't like the reviews for elephant and its affiliates! I also get to pay monthly at no extra cost!

I am also going to go for a two year deferred invoice gap policy from gapinsurance.co.uk for £68 as first year is indeed covered.

Thanks again for all comments! I love this forum!

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users