Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to this and I have a problem with my standard speakers sounding unbelievably rubbish!! All I wanted to know was, can I change the standard speakers to upgraded ones and put a cone or padding behind it, so it doesn't sound like there going to break. I mostly want to change them because I love my music and I don't want to change my head unit so just want uprated speakers for now.

Any advice on where I could get some speakers from not 6'' x 9''s as they won't fit without editing the car door (this is something I really don't want to do.)

Many thanks,

Alec

Hello and welcome to the club!

Yes, it is possible to upgrade your speakers, several forum members have done this already and i remember a thread about this (if i find it i will put a link up for you- it may have been for a Focus though) - its also possible someone has posted a thread on how to change the speakers in modification projects..... (again i will have a look)

There is special acoustic matting that you can get to line the inside of the doors, i have been told it makes a big difference to the sound in the car (improving it) but it adds weight (the reason i never used it myself) - it lines the inside of the door and stops the "resonance" "drumming"/ "tinnyness", you choose the correct thickness so it does not interfere withe the window lifters/ innards of the door etc

It can increase the bass output of the speakers too (by reducing unwanted out-of-phase radiation)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/car-Vehicle-underlay-carpet-mat-matting-sound-proof-proofing-deadening-acoustic-/300816378453?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item460a0daa55#ht_1191wt_932

These are for studios and may fill up with water in some areas and are for mid/ treble but may still be useful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Profiled-Pyramid-Acoustic-Sound-Absorption-Foam-Panels-75mm-Depth-x-4-Tiles-/300798760808?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item460900d768#ht_2076wt_1069