Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Droning Noise...driving Me Insane!!!!

dakota3380

Hi all

I bought a Fiesta 1.4 petrol Titanium last week (61plate) 3,702 miles on the clock, had my heart set in it for many months, but unfortunately I am very dissapointed up to now.

I'm getting what i can only describe as a 'droning' noise but it's hard to tell where its coming from but i can feel it in the footwell. This happens randomly but i hear it more around 30-40 mph but i guess that's just because the engine is quieter at that speed?

It's pretty hard to explain, but its very intermittent (drones for 3 seconds, stops for 2 seconds, drones for 3 seconds, stops for 2 seconds and so on). I know it's not surface related as i drive the same way to work everyday and it happens in different places.

I knew the low profile tyres would cause more noise but surly not like that?????

Any ides anyone? Think I should get this checked out?

All answers very much appreciated.

chances are its a wheel bearing, but would definitly get it checked

As wase16ll says..... Sounds like its more than likely to be a wheel bearing.

You could jack up each corner and check for movement by holding each wheel at the 3:45 and 6:00 o'clock positions and giving them a shake, also give each wheel a good spin and listen for any noises that shouldn't be there, failing that a quick visit to any garage and they will be able to tell you what the problem is.

Hi, thank you for the replies. Would a wheel bearing damage or wear out so soon though? The car is only 2 years old and not even hit 4000 miles yet.

You're right a wheel bearing shouldn't wear out so soon, but I wouldn't rule it out completely, as the sounds its making and when its happening tie in with a worn bearing, do you know the previous owner or isthere any receipts showing that work has been done to the hub assembly or anything, it may just be that the nub nut has not been torqued to the correct tolerance? I would take it back to the garage and see what they say?

Keep us posted

No, I have no receipts at all and no indication as to whether any work has been done previously. I don't know the previous owner either. The car is still under warranty so I have booked it in with Ford for Friday. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thank you so much for your comments.

check the tyres for castling. they can cause a bearing type noise. the only way to sort it is to sort the tracking out and new tyres, although i wouldn't go as far as fitting new tyres.

***UPDATE***

Took the car in at 8am this morning, I received a call from Vospers by midday to say the fault is the wheel bearing. Unfortunately they can't get the part in until next week, so I have it booked in again next Friday for the work to be carried out.

They did a health check on my car and gave me the print out which states the following - Road Noise 'confirm noise on road test possible n/s/f wheel bearing concern'. this bothers me a bit though, because of the word 'possible'. I got the impression from the girl on the phone that the wheel bearing WAS the fault, not 'possibly'. Oh well, we shall see next week.

Thanks again for the reply's and i'll update again next week.

• 4 weeks later...

***UPDATE***

Took the car in at 8am this morning, I received a call from Vospers by midday to say the fault is the wheel bearing. Unfortunately they can't get the part in until next week, so I have it booked in again next Friday for the work to be carried out.

They did a health check on my car and gave me the print out which states the following - Road Noise 'confirm noise on road test possible n/s/f wheel bearing concern'. this bothers me a bit though, because of the word 'possible'. I got the impression from the girl on the phone that the wheel bearing WAS the fault, not 'possibly'. Oh well, we shall see next week.

Thanks again for the reply's and i'll update again next week.

Vospers Exeter? Very good people usually, had some work done to my steering rack back in 2011.

Sorry for the late reply!! Had trouble signing back in!

Ok so, yes it was a wheel bearing! All sorted now and running fine. Again, thank you for all the replies.

I had the work done at Marsh Mills in Plymouth.

4000 miles for wheel bearing is pretty poor even for Ford

tbh, i have done more wheel bearings/suspension repairs in last 3-4 years than i ever did in previous 10

i put it down to the harsher winters and diabolical roads we've had to put up with in recent times...so might not be fords fault

• 8 years later...

Guys 

Fiesta mk 7  terrible road noise front.

Not tyres , noise before new tyres.

Front wheels no play what's so ever 

Spin wheels on jack no noise normal 

Noise does not get faster with speed 

Noise starts from 10 mph and same to 70 +

No vibration 

No clicking from CV joints on turning 

Disks good condition

New wishbones , drop links , top strut bearings , new pads .

Driving me mad any ideas, 

Thanks 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club