Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk6 Boot Release Problem

Smarty91

Hi. I've got a Fiesta Mk6 with electric boot release, key fob and dashboard button both of which have stopped working. I can still get in to the boot using the key.

Looking at it when i press the button on they key to open the boot the latch moves but not enough to open it which is where i believe the problem to be!! Any suggestions to fix it would be great :)

Sounds like a stuck solenoid or jammed mechanism.

Try blasting it with WD40 and if that doesn't help get a replacement mechanism off eBay, they're cheap and easy to replace.

I have tried the WD40 but where abouts should i be spraying it? My lock looks like the one below, how do i get to it without causing too much damage?

post-44855-0-72582800-1372631994_thumb.j

Spray around the catch and into any pivots or pins.

Done that and still not working. Im going to take the interior panel off (once i figure out how!) and see whats going on behind there. Any tips?

Right so took interior boot panel off and deffinatley the solenoid thats the problem. Its moving but not enough to unlock the boot. Sprayed with wd40 still doesnt work. Is there anything that can be done to it or do i need to get a new one and replace it.

Solenoids have microswitches, springs and actuator motors that are fiddly beyond belief.

Tbh replacing the whole unit will be far easier, there should be some good second hand units available on eBay.

• Like 1

Thats my problem, i cant seem to find any on eBay. Any help greatly appreciated :)

Ahh thats not the bit I'm on about. I am actually on about the mechanism that makes it move. Looks like the one in the picture.

This video shows what mine is currently doing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGhgiBjBc20

post-44855-0-44570500-1372717916_thumb.j

Ah I get you now.

You meant the lock actuator (sometimes called a pop motor).

i'll continue looking for you.

Now you know what i mean. Is there anything i can do to it to get it working?

th_MK6bootsolenoid.jpg

Finis code is the part number for Ford, price is in Euros but can't confirm the price accuracy.

Actuators tend to be tricky devils, if the motor is not working properly it's usually something shorted or burnt out.

Found one cheaper than from a Dealers parts counter for you-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-Ford-Fiesta-Fusion-Tailgate-Release-Motor-1481081-/360676470912?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53f9fe3080

Cheers for all your help. Bit more expensive than i thought it would be though :/

That eBay part is brand new though so no chance of a secondhand one being faulty too and still much cheaper than direct from Ford.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was just wondering if you managed to fix this. I have the same problem but now my key has stopped working too! I have purchased a new lock including the solenoid. Is it easy to fit?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Same problem on my Fiesta. The unlock actuator not withdrawing enough to open the the rear hatch. Remove the three screws holding the rear trim that covers the actuator assembly. Unplug electrical connector from actuator, and remove the two screws holding the actuator in position. Disconnect the cable that links it to the lock assy. Now the best part; this is a sealed unit and the two halves need to be separated. Start at the electrical plug end and split the two halves of the case. mine split without causing any damage. The electric motor is now exposed. Remove it. Locate the two lugs securing the white plastic brush assy. Open them up and pull the plastic end off. This exposes the brushes and motor commutator. Clean it all up and carefully reassemble ensuring the brushes are located on the commutator. No need the bend the securing lugs back, just slip the motor as is into the plastic casing along with the gears. Put the two plastic halves together and secure with two cable ties. At this point you can test the device by connecting 12 volts directly to the actuator terminals. If it works, install back in Fiesta and it should all work. Mine did. Total cost, nothing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same problem on my Fiesta. The unlock actuator not withdrawing enough to open the the rear hatch. Remove the three screws holding the rear trim that covers the actuator assembly. Unplug electrical connector from actuator, and remove the two screws holding the actuator in position. Disconnect the cable that links it to the lock assy. Now the best part; this is a sealed unit and the two halves need to be separated. Start at the electrical plug end and split the two halves of the case. mine split without causing any damage. The electric motor is now exposed. Remove it. Locate the two lugs securing the white plastic brush assy. Open them up and pull the plastic end off. This exposes the brushes and motor commutator. Clean it all up and carefully reassemble ensuring the brushes are located on the commutator. No need the bend the securing lugs back, just slip the motor as is into the plastic casing along with the gears. Put the two plastic halves together and secure with two cable ties. At this point you can test the device by connecting 12 volts directly to the actuator terminals. If it works, install back in Fiesta and it should all work. Mine did. Total cost, nothing.

I registered on the forum just to say thanks. I followed all the steps, had a little struggle to open the sealed actuator and the electric motor, but after an hour, a few blisters and tired hands later, the problem was solved. The boot opens like the first day I bought the car. I was a little bit nervous while I opened and cleaned the actuator assembly, if I knew that everything was going to be fine, I would have taken pictures for a step-by-step visual manual.

Thanks Tony, you saved me 100 € :) Greetings from Macedonia!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry this is an old post but it is the same issue as mine. It looks like the lock actuator is fixed onto a mettle plate. I take it I have to remove that to get the actuator off.

Also if I take it off will the car still lock and can the key still be used for the boot. Thinking I might take it out and have a try and if I screw it up I can get the part next week.

Thanks

IMG_3102.JPG

• 3 years later...

Hi. Any suggestions? I think ive got this issue, but the boot won’t release at all! How can I get it open to inspect the solenoid???